A reminder Guys!! SEARCH BUTTON

Beavis

It as been noted just lately a big increase in common question's been asked by certain members (no names mentioned) that have been asked countless times before. Can i take this opportunity to remind you that the forum as a SEARCH button that you can use to help you find the information you are looking for. It does not take much effort to find out the information you require, but it can be a bit tiring when members are constantly asking the same question that's been asked a 100 times before, whats the best shampoo for my zed? does it have a gearbox? how do i fit this?.........when the said item as been fitted a million times before by other members and posted on here.

Yes it is a forum and yes we are here to help each other, but sometimes a little effort by yourselves to find the information you require is a huge help. This forum is already laden with a vast wealth of knowledge freely available concerning the zed........SO USE IT!!

Reading the forum's FAQ section may also help you out.

Guest prescience

FWIW I think it's wrong (and alwys have done) to lecture people on using the Search button - people know it exists and for some (perhaps many) it's a good way to get involvement from other members (other than a 'Hi There' thread).

After all, if you don't want to answer a question, read a thread or whatever - don't (a choice which also has been regularly pointed out)

Just my 2 cents :)

FWIW I think it's wrong (and alwys have done) to lecture people on using the Search button - people know it exists and for some (perhaps many) it's a good way to get involvement from other members (other than a 'Hi There' thread).

After all, if you don't want to answer a question, read a thread or whatever - don't (a choice which also has been regularly pointed out)

I don't think i was lecturing, i thought i was reminding ;) and imho i don't think that all the members do know the search button exists.

Guest prescience

I don't think i was lecturing, i thought i was reminding ;) and imho i don't think that all the members do know the search button exists.

We'll have to disagree on the second point, how many websites much less forums, websites have you visited without a 'search' button. In my view, if you can locate the login button, and/or have edited your profile, you are aware of the search button ;) I believe as I say it's a conscious choice to post a question.

But anyway, here's one for you :lol:

http://www.starterupsteve.com/swf/posting.html

I just searched "best shampoo" and got over 70 different posts, how long will that take me to trawl through? When I have asked fairly basic questions before I have been pointed to a relevant thread by another member that has cut all that out. I'm not clear what the problem is with asking basic questions - responding is a voluntary activity.

We'll have to disagree on the second point, how many websites much less forums, websites have you visited without a 'search' button. In my view, if you can locate the login button, and/or have edited your profile, you are aware of the search button ;) I believe as I say it's a conscious choice to post a question.

But anyway, here's one for you :lol:

http://www.starterupsteve.com/swf/posting.html

So why is it that some long term members who have been constantly reminded of the search button still never use it to find the information they want?

For example last Saturday morning a member was in difficulty whilst trying to fit a set of rear l.e.d's before the heavens opened up, he had also just finished a night shift, strangely so had i but luckily for him i logged on here too early on saturday morning also having just finished a night shift. He was asking a question that as been addressed on here many times, if he had known about the search button he would have found the info he required,instead luckily for him i pointed him in the right direction at a time when very few people were on-line ;)

So a reminder of the search button facility, may help you at a time when other's cant.

I just searched "best shampoo" and got over 70 different posts, how long will that take me to trawl through? When I have asked fairly basic questions before I have been pointed to a relevant thread by another member that has cut all that out. I'm not clear what the problem is with asking basic questions - responding is a voluntary activity.

But there in lies the problem: As soon as someone else asks a question about 'best shampoo', then that's 71 threads to trawl through. And then someone else asks, so that's 72 for the next person, and so on and so forth. By not using the search you then make it more difficult for the next person who does make the effort to use it. Besides, 70 posts really isn't that much to go through: You can scan the results and see pretty quickly if it's relevant to you.

There's a difference between searching and not being able to find the info you wanted and not searching at all: One is understandable and, by mentioning what you searched for, people can guide you for the next time, and the other is just about as lazy as you can get and quickly fills a forum full of wasted threads. Whilst everyone needs a bit of help sometimes, to be expected to be spoon fed every little thing shows a certain amount of contempt for your fellow owners IMHO.

Guest prescience

But there in lies the problem: As soon as someone else asks a question about 'best shampoo', then that's 71 threads to trawl through. And then someone else asks, so that's 72 for the next person, and so on and so forth. By not using the search you then make it more difficult for the next person who does make the effort to use it. Besides, 70 posts really isn't that much to go through: You can scan the results and see pretty quickly if it's relevant to you.

There's a difference between searching and not being able to find the info you wanted and not searching at all: One is understandable and, by mentioning what you searched for, people can guide you for the next time, and the other is just about as lazy as you can get and quickly fills a forum full of wasted threads. Whilst everyone needs a bit of help sometimes, to be expected to be spoon fed every little thing shows a certain amount of contempt for your fellow owners IMHO.

No thread which answers a question is wasted IMO - there are many other threads whch qualify better for that description. There are about 60 threads hit daily here and I guess I only look at 3 or 4.

As noted above, answering is voluntary and if you don't wish to answer (or answer through gritted teeth) then don't, plus if there are 70 threads which answer the same question, then by definition you only need to select one to look at :teeth:

No thread which answers a question is wasted IMO - there are many other threads whch qualify better for that description. There are about 60 threads hit daily here and I guess I only look at 3 or 4.

As noted above, answering is voluntary and if you don't wish to answer (or answer through gritted teeth) then don't, plus if there are 70 threads which answer the same question, then by definition you only need to select one to look at :teeth:

And if no one answers the thread because they are so tired of typing out the same information time and time again? OP starts posting "bump", "anyone?". The reality is that someone will post up out of kindness but to post without even trying to search is an abuse of that kindness.

I'm actually quite shocked that someone as intelligent as you, Dorian, would suggest that its OK to simply post questions without searching first and that its fine to clog up the forum with hundreds of threads all saying the same thing. If that's the case, why did you take the time to enter all those threads in the FAQ section?

IMHO (and I do not necessarily express the views of the team here) its fine to search and fail and if you explain that I don't see a problem. On the other hand, if you can't put the effort in to search why should anyone make the effort to help you. :)

Fully agree Digsy, I am always happy to help new members who are finding their way around. When I joined I was learning how to use my first forum so it was all very different.

It does get tiresome when its obvious that a member who has been around for some time just sticks a post up without bothering to search.

Guest prescience

I just re-read my comments and am entirely comfortable with how I've represented my views on this subject :D

As to what I did in early-2006 and why, that's a different matter driven by different objectives (not the least of which was to ensure that information from the old forum was not lost in the transition) and as such is not relevant here :D

I find the search button really tough. I liked how the my350z you can search within the title or within the post, but on here i cant tell the difference between the two choices and it ends up bringing up pages of everything anyway. Could we follow the way my350z searches would make life a whole lot easier imo

You can do that here too, just click the radio button under the 'Display results as' option in the search area.

Tbh phpBB searches aren't the easiest of things to use at times, but then it takes a while to know how to use Google to your advantage as well so it's one of those things. Clicking the 'search for all terms' button makes a world of difference to what results you receive back for starters.