Self Healing Paint

Cool Hand Luke

Read a snippet in Autocar the other week that i meant to post about.

Basically, US car maker Infiniti (Nissan's luxury brand) are now producing cars with self healing paint - the paint contains an elastic resin that when heated can 'heal' over scratches and other paint imperfections.

How cool is that? Here's hoping we see it in Europe sometime soon, maybe on the new GTR or 370Z :teeth:

I'm sure I recall reading the self-healing paint will be available on the special edition GT-R.

Secondly I do recall reading a newpaper article from the Times (I think) about the colour-change paint saying it was blag. Basically about 6 months ago a number of Internet sites, and then mainstream press, featured an article about this colour changing paint with a picture of a multi-colour GT-R. Well it said that they'd looked into it and it wasn't true, rather a perfect example of how wrong information can be widely spread so easily nowadays.

That said, somebody will probably now post to say "It is true, here's the evidence" but that's definitely what I read. B)

I'm sure I recall reading the self-healing paint will be available on the special edition GT-R.

Secondly I do recall reading a newpaper article from the Times (I think) about the colour-change paint saying it was blag. Basically about 6 months ago a number of Internet sites, and then mainstream press, featured an article about this colour changing paint with a picture of a multi-colour GT-R. Well it said that they'd looked into it and it wasn't true, rather a perfect example of how wrong information can be widely spread so easily nowadays.

That said, somebody will probably now post to say "It is true, here's the evidence" but that's definitely what I read. B)

It is true, they can do it, The magic bunny rabbits told me so, so theres my evidence lol

It actually makes you wonder, as there are nailpolish [girly hat on today :lol: ], which is basically paint that will do odd things. For instance Lancome make a nailpolish that when it's wet, if you pass a magnet over the surface it changes form as it has tiny metal flakes that are attracted to the magnet. Lots of paints glow in the dark. So really not so far fetched a concept to do something like that with large scale items like car paint.

It actually makes you wonder, as there are nailpolish [girly hat on today :lol: ], which is basically paint that will do odd things. For instance Lancome make a nailpolish that when it's wet, if you pass a magnet over the surface it changes form as it has tiny metal flakes that are attracted to the magnet. Lots of paints glow in the dark. So really not so far fetched a concept to do something like that with large scale items like car paint.

You took the words right out of Jay's mouth :lol:

• 1 month later...

I remember this was first mentioned in 2005 :)

(Probably same link as before:)

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/20 ... -01-e.html

I had just got my Xtrail and hoped it would be available then - but nope! If they just went back to evil Celly or 2 pack (Not your water based rubbish today) we would'nt need self healing paint in the first place - or even just spray nail varnish gloss or better a thin solution of weetabix - that will weld itself quite nicely to the surface of your Datsun and never come off! :lol::headhurt: Bit like pigeon sh**! :dry: