Failed MOT :-(

Z Boy

Just taken the Z for an MOT and it failed on emissions, due to the high flow cats.

Don't suppose anyone has a spare one lying around that I could borrow for a day? :blush:

Should have passed easily with high flow's on, may have a dodgy lambda.

+1 It should have passed mate.

Damn, that's not good then. The engine light is always on and I had it checked by Nissan and they said it's due to the aftermarket cats. So it could be a duff sensor then? Any idea how to check and how much a fix is?

Thanks.

So I need to get the lambda's checked out...anything else to get them to look at while I'm at it?!

And cheers Andy, I'll let you know! :)

If the engine light is on it indicates you either have de cat pipes as opposed to high flows or that a lambda is malfunctioning.

Looking at the pipe section does not always give an indication of having cats on the car as some of the decat pipes have a resonator section which looks very similar to the untrained eye as a cat.

So I need to get the lambda's checked out...anything else to get them to look at while I'm at it?!

If the engine light is on it indicates you either have de cat pipes as opposed to high flows or that a lambda is malfunctioning.

Looking at the pipe section does not always give an indication of having cats on the car as some of the decat pipes have a resonator section which looks very similar to the untrained eye as a cat.

Looks like you need to crawl under the car with a camera ;)

Looks like you need to crawl under the car with a camera ;)

that would help us identify what is on the car.

I know that engine wise the only modifications are the Nismo exhaust and the cats, besides that (and a plenum spacer) it's basically standard.

Just had a P1 or P2 service (can't remember which lol), would they have changed the o2 sensors then?

Just had a look at the service manual and it looks like there is a 2nd o2 sensor intergrated into the cats.

I am guessing the high flow cats don't have a lambda sensor build in?

lambdas are located one on either cat both on standard and high flow, the problem with the decats is the sensors sit too much in the gas flow.

The sensors screw into the cats then the cables loop round and hook into holders then clip into the connecters.

Just as a point of reference, I have K8N Typhoon Kit, Plenum, Hi-Flo Cats and Nismo exhaust and have never had problems.