Should I change the gearbox oil

mec

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this, I've had the car a couple of weeks now and starting to get to get a feel for it.

I've noticed that 1st to 2nd is a little notchy... 5th to 6th at speed can feel a bit notchy too... It's not crunching so i don't think the syncros are shot, just giving a little more resistance that i expected if you know what i mean. The odd thing is, if i have given the car some beans on a good drive the gearbox is smooth through all gears...

Do you think a gearbox oil change will help? or is this all completely normal :)

Cheers

Gi

Guest prescience
Depends what year zed u have the older ones has a crap syncro in the gear box which meant it was crunchy going 5th to 6th at speed.

Yeah, but that issue is worse when it's hot - not the case here :D

Why not change for a synthetic gear oil - Amsoil do a good one :)

• 4 months later...

After trying for a while I found i couldn't live with it, it's going in on Weds next week to have the transmission oil changed. Had to ask Nissan nicely to do the work as they orginally said they wouldn't stick the oil i bought in it, they'd only stick in the Nissan stuff... but after a little chat they knew it was a known problem and agreed that changing it with the nissan oil (75w-85) would do nothing. One of the engineers said they had good results with some Mobil EP 80w-90 oil... So i had a look around but in the end went for Mobil Modilube 1 SHC 75w-90 off of Opie oils... if it doesn't work i will probably go with redline's heavyshock, but as Opie doesn't have it listed for the car i thought i'd try the Mobil (I didn't think it wise to go against Opie's judgement and price :) )...

I'll let you guys know how it goes.