Edinburgh whistle stop guide! Just go there you will love it

stanski

Hi

Some of you may know I had a nano Scottish Hoon myself in Edinburgh! Wow what can I say about the place - if you've never been then get on line and start booking - fell in love with the place, instantly its just like nothing you ever imagine , so alive, interesting, clean and always something new round the next corner?

At this point I want to say a massive thanks to Uncle Stew who gave me loads of recommendations for places to stay and see!

I would very much recommend the Glasshouse Hotel in the centre of town (Omni district - Leith Walk) its just the best hotel I have ever stayed - 5 Star , staff are superb the attention to detail is second to non and bar a little fly in the ointment I would stay again. (speak about that later)

It has a grass roof terace which is very nice btw - check expedia for prices they are at least £300 a room cheaper - yes really!!! :surrender:

Also want to thank Uncle Martinmac for being my back up support when (chatting yes just chatting not chatting-up assorted waitresses - will give you a run down in a min) A mobile phone with someone who can surf the web are a powerful tool! B)

Anyway a few pics just to give you a taste - and of course never off duty when it comes to cars - sorry

So places I ate in and recommend very much - I am a fussy sod so if I dont like it I will say so!!!! :rant:

George Street is the place or nearby: (thanks Stew)

Gusto - Italian restaurant

(yes yes ok so I thought she was Polish her accent sounded so but she was in fact Hungarian and was very nice to me - my first time in a restaurant on my own - for me to do that is a brave new world I am actually quite a shy person honest- so here I am on my tod in the middle of the place with everyone in couples - she was very kind and kept chatting to me so I did'nt feel like erm I was feeling - self concious - but wine helps -damn just seen back of reciept she signed her name and thank you! Damn damn damn damn!!! :doh:

Food excellent and normal price of any Italian not extortionate at all.

Muang Thai - Hanover Street off George Stwhat can I say best Thai I have ever tasted and I have been to the best in London, price very reasonable - no waitresses here before you ask - very attentive , vary darkly lit but pleasant !

The Lot - 4, Grassmarket (Bistro)

Really nice chilled place - small right in the centre - Icelandic Waitress who I thought was Amercian (accent) again nice trendy food quite well priced - AND best bit I found out that you can have a fully furnished flat for £360 per month inc taxes rates etc right in the centre Grassmarket - wow!! Thats cheaper than Mank Chester !!! Ask and you shall find out all sorts.

Nagile - Turkish , 73 Hanover Street (just a bit further up from the Thai)

Well very very nice I love my Turkish cuisine - friendly owner who gave me loads of info about the prices of property etc and told me some stuff about his business, family, very nice and yes ok ok I admit it very attractive Malasian waitress , loudest shoes on the planet! :lol:

If you just talk to people its surprising what much more you get back than just a tourist in town, people are very open with you here?

I am seriously considering moving here at least go contracting again see how it would go for 6 months sort of thing?

Anyhow back to the plot........ :blush:

John Lewis opposite the Hotel does a good breakfast - £7.95 for the full Scottish (my arteries were furring up as I ate) or go for a cheaper healthy option (on 4th floor open from 09:00am) a lot cheaper than those fancy coffee places but the best bit is John Lewis's coffee IS better than Costa coffee etc! :thumbs:

Car park is the NCP on Greenside - next to hotel - bit steep price, multistorey but its safe, hotel give you 30% discount, my first time with Zed in a mutlistory (park on top floor - lots of single oddly shaped spaces away from everyone else) the Zed sounded Fantastic I had to drive round a number of times not because I needed to you understand! he he he B)

Cheapest petrol station right in middle of town- Shell station on Montrose Terrace. £114.9 per litre everywhere else is £118.9!!!!

Day 1 - drive around everywhere - get yourself lost , take your time go to Leith (port area) interesting place, then just walk everywhere - it looks massive but actually its like Cambridge very compact - a lot of work going on rebuilding and a new tram system - and as I found out its the number 1 town in UK to buck the property drop!

Go and just walk everywhere as long as you remember where the train station is you will find your way. Also Scottish girls in Edinburgh are (excluding Zed girls of course who ARE the best ) the most gorgeous !! :D Hey I can say these things I am single!!! and erm over 30++++ Ahem....... :blush:

So bottom line get up there tell 'em Stan sent you! I cant wait to go back - Stew you up for an Edinburgh meet ? :thumbs:

(Epilogue: Glasshouse - I purchased from Tesco because I forgot my special wine I was saving, 2 bottles of red, I took to my room, 1 bottle I emptied in the form of drinking it then other was 3/4 full - next day - it had gone! my half bottle of coke was still there but no wine? So not happy someone has taken my wine wihout my consent - ok so if it was a mistake fine but you dont ditch a 3/4 full bottle of wine do you? Anyway I made a fuss about it and they kept appolgising and I got a bottle of wine in replacement but its not the wine is it - its the fact that someone took my property without consent? So there now you know! :angry: )

Anyway some pics - sorry this is not my blog on holidays just to give you a flavour - dont miss out its a great place! :thumbs:

Fountain

Dd9U8XMHiu.jpg

Glasshouse Hotel where I stayed - city centre

Rb3CKlG0rG.jpg

Night scene from my roof top balcony - each room had one! Ace

WXDMMzovnv.jpg

Main street

GCOMxxgaAn.jpg

My strapline for life I think!

XcZ8cshTgr.jpg

Just fab

j1jx7xII28.jpg

New investment, not into modern architechture but this looked fab - ooh who's is that great looking car I wonder?? ;)

apOiuUT0bo.jpg

Typical street

GTiWE4P8WT.jpg

Whats all this about then guv!!!!! Shagtag???? :blush:

OqZ7N9F3IT.jpg

Once a Splittie man always a splitty man! Guy had a Scubby flat 6 Porsche brakes!! wowsers! Mine was a boggo 1964 1200cc :surrender:

GriVmnQbe9.jpg

Class

nNLvwH1DIo.jpg

Hotel Rooftop terrace Scottish wedding on the first night

6VZsp3XHkH.jpg

Had to be done

aZ08OIUhe3.jpg

If you need anymore info PM me or just ask at the Carlisle meet happy to bore you if required!! :lol:

Done a few shagtag nights in my youth!

Glad you liked it Stan. I was sweating a bit with the hotel as it is fairly pricey but it IS worth the money. I must say it's one of the best I've stayed in and I've stayed in a few! ;)

It's an intoxicating place, when I lived abroad I was going to buy a place in Edinburgh to stay. I adore the place. It's just so vibrant!

You'll have to send some pics through as I never took any last time I was there and stayed in the glasshouse!

Prey Gentlemen what is shagtag? ;) Some form of home entertainment like Blueray or WII?

Stew got 600+ pics , if you want I can wack 'em on a DVD and send them up - then you can print off what you like as a momento of your trip? (Did you get the DVD btw or has the Royal Mail eaten it?)

I would seriously consider investing in one of those water front properties, maybe worth renting out and also somewhere for you to stay in town - its not far from centre? The so called credit crunch does not seem to have effected business here?

My chats to various restaurant personnel shall we call them , before I get more stick :p revealed - properties near George street as an axample go for about 700-800K !!!!! Just a little further out - that drops to 300K and further still - its all walking distance though - mad or what! Thing is buy now they are building a tram system so this will open up the property belt further and prices can only rise? ;)

Some nice motors on George street Stew but missing a NightBlue roadster :lol:

Oh do the Royal Mile and the castle although it was mad when I went so did'nt bother - also forgot to stick my nose in Jenners! I shall return soon.

On another note - that hotel is actually cheaper than a boggo Hilton on business rates - shop about but the Travellodge at Dreghorn is £60 pn clean and well safe parking - 15 mins from town, if anyone wants more info just PM me soI dont bore everyone on the forum with this stuff :surrender:

anyway just for you Stew - your fave fish place :thumbs:

QYpJHWcy8e.jpg

Guess what I saw in the multistory - this was going to be my alternative to the Zed! Fantastic!

8LTs38JQOV.jpg

Makes Harvey Nics look like a cheapo ASDA eh!

0LBFXYfAkn.jpg

Classy

ypVZSnCGA5.jpg

Dr Whos prototype

jf6HAZu3VQ.jpg

Got to love Edinburgh. Had an ex go to uni there and visited every weekend without fail for about a year. Infact, you've just just inspired me to head down this weekend. 2 hours door to door from Aberdeen just about.

Well stan shagtag is a very simple but bloody great little invention. Its when each person in a club is given a number and they wear it on the shirt , top watever and if you like a caertain lady you get their number from their top. Then u go 2 a board and leave them a message " How u doin" lol with ur number on it. Then they will obv check the board to see if anyone has left them messages see your note and well happy days! You end up with a bit of skirt to go home with if your lucky :#1: :kicking

Hi Luke

unfortunately dueto time constraints I never got a chance to go to Glasgow so stayed around Edinburgh but I probably feel like I know it better than Manchester now :lol:

That development - (they are doing loads on that area - called Platinum point western harbour - towards Leith!)

Here this one has phone number details if that helps?

sfel18Cu1Y.jpg

OSF5VfexAP.jpg

A lot of building work going on and more foundations layed out - there was a gym type place next door and I think they have done a good job - sort of a docklands type development - no idea of prices but will find out. :thumbs:

Again if property is your bag maybe now is a good time to check this place out I know I will for sure

Jay - thanks for explaining Shag tag for me - see how naive I am - will stick with the old fashioned approach just talking to people and being myself (does'nt work but I can try!!)

Knowing my luck I will actually meet some Hungarian waitress I really like up there - bleeding eck I never meet anyone round the corner its always bleeding miles away!!! :angry:

Mind you I dont like Bury Chavs so the further the better!! :lol:

Beavis go for it mate - fab up there and ok I have just booked to go again ! (Mart keep your mobbie switched on I may need your web support again!) :lol:

No need to stay in such an expensive hotel (its my belated birthday treat to myself - I work hard enough so what the hell!) - just surf around for deals and stay at the Travellodge I mentioned also they have one in the centre of town - if you book a few weeks in advance its £18 per room yes £18 thats right check their website!

I should be getting a wage from the Scottish tourist board for this lot! :fool:

thanks Jay - I have actually booked again so back up there, I am going to run out of restaurants at this rate!

Whats left French, Outer Mongolian, etc etc!

Jay I think I am a little too old for shagtag! :cry:

Incidentally I have a head the same colour as a beetroot - the joys of open top motoring! got lard on my head at the mo to cool the skin! :surrender:

Thanks for the info Jim - I checked that one the other week when I was researching - one of my prime concerns (sad I know) was to have the car parked out of sight and nearby - a lot of hotels in Edinburgh have on street parking or non at all - which for a Zed owner is not good? Just my thoughts but I think I walked past this one on my travels and it looked nice! :thumbs: