Intake duct and AUT eyelids.... fitted today!

marzman

Hey guys,

well, i've been looking forward to today for a while! I had my parts sprayed on Thursday and have fitted them today!

I was up at 7am on the dot, and did a couple of hours' work from home, and then got on with cutting my bumper!

I ended up making a template myself, and then cutting the bumper with a stanley knife while still on the car. Was easy to do, and took about 25mins to cut the piece out.

My bodyshop filled the rivet holes on the intake duct and recommended i glue it on... they gave me a tube of this stuff called sicaflex? Anyway, its nasty stuff - a lot like chewing gum! So i put LOADS of that all around it, and on the car too, and let it go off for 5mins before putting the duct on.

Now this was the scary part - the curve of the bumper was too much, so the duct wouldn't stay down in all 4 corners, so i sat there for an hour leaning on it!!!! My arms were killing me!! It appears to have dried now, and stuck mostly - but its not flush. There's about a 1mm gap around the whole thing where the glue is holding it in place...

The bodyshop gave me the remaining paint in a can, so depending on what it looks like when i've picked all the dry glue off - i may very carefully paint the white 1mm line around the edge...!

As for the eyelids... i know most people wont like them but it is the kind of thing i like (cheap and tacky!)... the fit on them isnt particularly good - but i've used clear silicone sealant to stick them on... the supplied 3m double sided tape was useless! So hopefully that'll do the trick!

My wheels are hopefully on the way the week after next, and then i'll be having a break from spending till the end of august!

Pics coming shortly after i've picked the glue off...!

EDIT - okay sorry for the delay... had to go sofa hunting before the shops shut! ...ordered a nice big leather 3-seater... but there's a 14 week wait :dry:

Okay, here's the pics.... feel free to give me jip over the controversial eyelids!

Photo0033copy.jpg

Photo0036.jpg

Photo0037copy.jpg

Photo0038.jpg

Photo0041copy.jpg

Photo0050copy.jpg

Photo0053.jpg

Photo0055.jpg

Photo0056copy.jpg

I think it looks better in carbon, looks a bit out of place painted :blush: Eyelids look ok though :)

Odd that - i really dislike it in carbon on the blade colour - just looks stuck on! Thats why i probably paid more for the frp version! each to their own...!

Nice one for doing the work yourself, but as Ian said, I prefer the carbon too. But am with lilsheep on matching it all up....

Eyelids are a weird one too, I like the way they change the lines of the bonnet but I dont like the extra gaps and lines they put on the car...

Like the side markers BTW B)

Looks quite good, certainly original from what I've seen most go for CF. I think if I were to have one colour coded though, I would get the front part of it shaved so its flush with the bumper, that way the duct would look OEM B)