My new dog...

Digsy

Meet Scrappy, a 6 year old crossbreed (god knows what but a hint of alsation there) that I've homed from the local rescue centre. First day together today and I'm a first time dog owner so I guess we're both a little nervous.

Anyone dog owners here? I might need regular advice... :blush:

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cute little bugger not sure about the rough *ss holding the lead though !! he he he just kidding mate -rescue dog - good on yer mate?? :) Ours was?

Dont be nervous that lead is like a telephone wire - they can tell - just be relaxed and they will - soon get used to you dont worry mate - but be firm about stuff like jumping on sofas or even going upstairs - we never let ours do that

Rescue dog - well done!

Looks like you will get lots of advice on here. Main thing is to be firm, assertive and calm at all times. You are the pack leader so you have responsibility and your dog can relax and enjoy life.

Not sure what the harness is all about - it's not a good idea to let your dog pull you along - you should always be slightly in front of him. On the other hand, if the harness is being used to get him to pull something else along (ie he is working), that's a great idea and the dog will love it.

He looks like a great dog - enjoy. :thumbs:

Thanks for the replies, guys and gals. So far he's been a little angel and is now zonked after a nice afternoon in the park. :thumbs:

Not a bag of poop, Nixy, but a bag of sausage! Mmmm. :teeth:

One thing he is terrible with is recall. 90% of the time his own name doesn't seem to even register with him. Any tips?

Did you get a medical report? He could be slightly deaf? Or just distracted by some top totty female dog

:lol:

Oh top tip if you have old supermarket carrier bags use them instead of chucking them just remember which ones have the air holes in the bottom and which ones dont - I wont relay a story to you but leave it to your imagination - chocolate logs! :doh: