Accellerating hard causes traction to kick in

gingrrr

When I am accelerating hard, and sometimes not too hard it feels like I have bumped off the kerb, but I get out and there are no scratches on the wheels or tyres. I think it's when I am going around a long sweeping bend and accellerating hard. ( dry or wet road )

I think this is the traction control - which make it feel like I go sideways for a split second. It's quite a jolt.

Is this what is happening?

I have only owned my orange 350z GT UK version 04 reg for two days, so am slightly confused, a bit scared of crashing it but loving it's looks performance and engine sound.

( BTW it's faster than an Audi TT Quatro Sport ;) )

Can't wait for the new series of Top Gear.

Hi bud and welcome to the forum. First off what tyres do you have and how much wear. My initial thoughts are that you are losing grip at speed which would give something like that with the traction control kicking in.

The zed is a great car but can be a bit back end slippy with worn or "certain" brands of tyres. Thats only my opinion though.

If you have an area where you feel safe with plenty of space driving with the traction control off may give you an idea but its a bit extreme after only two days.

Top Gear :yahoo::D

If you're coming from a quattro you'll need to adjust your driving habits or you'll wrap it round a tree!

Basically, if the roads even slightly wet, dont attenot to go round a corner over 30mph! Have you ever had a rear wheel drive car before cos they're very different. Im jealous of my mates with FWD cars the way they can throw them round corners and keep accelerating!

I had a the same problem when i used to own a 530d bmwobbleu, you do not need to drive the z so hard into the corners, just glide around at a good pace and then hit the gas hard and then happy day's. :teeth::teeth:

First off what tyres do you have and how much wear. My initial thoughts are that you are losing grip at speed which would give something like that with the traction control kicking in.

Tyres would be my first thought too. Is the Zeddy riding on Potenza's??? it's also possible although the tyres may have plenty of tread, that the tyres have gone off, which will not give very nice results.

If you're coming from a quattro you'll need to adjust your driving habits or you'll wrap it round a tree!

Basically, if the roads even slightly wet, don't attemptt to go round a corner over 30mph! Have you ever had a rear wheel drive car before cos they're very different. I'm jealous of my mates with FWD cars the way they can throw them round corners and keep accelerating!

Jealous of FWD :scare:

Surely that should read "I'm entertained by my mates with FWD cars, the way they can throw them into corners, keep accelerating and go straight on" ;)

It's just learning the characteristics of FR, I'm coming to a Z from a S14 so I should be OK I think but there will be still things to learn (like having torque low down ;)). But there have been a good few people on our forum coming from FF to FR who have had accidents due to them not learning the characteristics of their new car before booting it round corners and ending up spinning.

:welcome:

Coming from a 4WD/FWD car, no offence, but you probably need to learn some throttle finesse. As the others have said, with 4WD you can drive with a lead foot and the car will stay on the road. With a RWD car you will spin up the rear and wrap it around a tree. Learn that throttle finesse and you'll be steering with the rear wheels in no time and having much more fun than those boring 4WD boys :drive1

As previously said the orange skidding car light flashes up when the traction control kicks. It can be a little jolty when it kicks in but should stop you from coming to any harm.

I have only had my zed for a few weeks and can't believe how well behaved it is.

Just got to remember the throttle is not an on/off switch :thumbs:

Thanks guys, I have Potenzas and they are newish, I know I can't wang it around a corner, but still it's going to be a learning curve.

I was always a good technical driver, but this car raises the bar towards supercar.

My last car was a New Beetle which was prone to understear, but you could still have fun on corners.

The car before was a 1303s 25 year old bug ( which I could twitch the back end out on occasionally - but not much with it's foot wide tyres ).

I'd like to get some instruction at a race track at some point.

Cheers guys.

Steve

Please note that the stability control is not infallible and is only an aid. If you "accelerate hard" before the car's straight on a damp road it may not catch you. Some members have found this out to their cost.

Thanks guys, I have Potenzas and they are newish, I know I can't wang it around a corner, but still it's going to be a learning curve.

When you say you have newish tyres ? are they the recommended size and profiles as any deviation from the standard sizes will play havoc with the traction control... :)

change your tyres would eb the first call, They're poor in damp or wet conditions but not too bad in the dry once warmed up. General preferred choice is Toyo's or Falkens.

Secondly like others have said, learn the car more especially from your previous one.

oh and :welcome: to the club, lets see some piccies of ya Z

its called axle tramp, you get it alot on front wheel drive cars and its the wheels trying to fight for grip, you will get a loud thump as the suspension bottoms out because the wheels are bouncing.

its done it on my Zed once and the rear wheels made such a loud thump, i thought id bent something luckily they were fine, it always sounds worse it is.

Wouls recommend a driving day. Having attended a couple of track days with zeds its always interesting to see how much a driver can improve under tuition even though they are pretty good road drivers.

Can anyone remember if we have any current links on here. Could always get one set up for the forum. :D

Wouls recommend a driving day. Having attended a couple of track days with zeds its always interesting to see how much a driver can improve under tuition even though they are pretty good road drivers.

Can anyone remember if we have any current links on here. Could always get one set up for the forum. :D

a couple in the discount section

Yes sorry I was not specific enough.

I will check they are the same - side to side, I am sure they are the same brand, size and newness.

I always try to buy 2 tyres at the same time if I can - so that they have the same wear so as to not 'wig out' the computer.

At this level of car you need to be sure.

sounds like axle tramp to me, happens from standstill on mine , only when you give it the beans, that accounts for the banging noise, the feeling i get when i tweak the throttle around the bend to excite the traction control, is enter the bend at 80% max speed and tweak the throttle to get the back end to drift, then the traction control sets in and it winds the throttle right back for about 2 seconds and its normally quite a smooth feeling laterally, but there is quite a sharp deceleration when it kicks in, would deffo recommend a track day to explore the handling quirks of the z as has already been mentioned, you would gain more from a trackday with a trainer than modding the car for the same money, a lot of people over look this ........ as for tyres!, i run falken 452's now and there the best i have had yet, the old bridgestones were terrible in the wet..

also the z has an lsd so unless you want to damage the lsd always try to get two new tyres for the rear at the same time, or at least aim to get the rolling circumference of the two wheels as close as possible .....

Check the tyre pressures first off. It's free and could be the problem. Always best to test the simple stuff before getting carried away. Low pressure COULD cause this.

While checking the tyres have a look at the makes and the tread. See if anything catches your eye like uneven wear etc.

I have Potenzas and they are newish

How new? any tyres can be slippy when very new.

Personally I love the potenzas (even in the wet) as do a few others on here but the majority seem not to favour them. I would never run them at 26psi though as one poster suggested, you will take the shoulders off inside a lap. I ran them at 46psi (yes forty six, maufacturer limit for them is 51, knock off 10% = 46psi) and had no problems and predictable handling but I do drive thm *very* hard.

I'd like to get some instruction at a race track at some point

Where abouts are you? I in the south/southeast you would be hard pushed to get better value for money than a day with Andy Walsh at http://www.carlimits.com

I have Potenzas and they are newish

How new? any tyres can be slippy when very new.

Personally I love the potenzas (even in the wet) as do a few others on here but the majority seem not to favour them. I would never run them at 26psi though as one poster suggested, you will take the shoulders off inside a lap. I ran them at 46psi (yes forty six, maufacturer limit for them is 51, knock off 10% = 46psi) and had no problems and predictable handling but I do drive thm *very* hard.

I'd like to get some instruction at a race track at some point

Where abouts are you? I in the south/southeast you would be hard pushed to get better value for money than a day with Andy Walsh at http://www.carlimits.com

well mine lasted 700 miles of fairly hard driving , so may last a few laps i would say hey :) track use would be different agreed, do you not find the tyres skitish at such a high pressure , or are you running non standard suspension to compensate...