HOW TO: Fit an X-Trail Birdview sat nav to a Fairlady Z

VgSlag

When I first got my Fairlady Z there was some question as to whether or not one could use an X-Trail sat nav unit in a 350Z/Fairlady Z. I bought the required kit from a breakers. I got a screen, DVD unit, DVD, button set and the wiring loom although not all of this is needed.

NOTE: THE KIT I GOT WAS FROM A 2002 XTRAIL. LATER XTRAIL SATNAV UNITS POSSIBLY HAVE A DIFFERENT CONNECTOR.

First of all I took the back trim off using this site as a guide: 350Z How-To's.

After the back trim was off I removed the JDM DVD unit. This is a comparison shot of the UK to JDM drives:

UK Version:

CIMG2036.jpg

JDM Version

CIMG2045.jpg

This is a shot of the connectors at the back:

CIMG2046.jpg

Now as you can see the JDM version (bottom) has more sockets. I simply didn't connect the extra cables and have had no ill effects. If anyone knows what the extra ports do advise me and I'll update the thread.

The Fairlady Z DVD unit had mounting brackets so I had to take the brackets off using a Torx 20 and swap them over to the X-Trail unit.

CIMG2047.jpg

I didn't need to change the screen over, just the drive so I put the car back together and moved on to the buttons.

The button layout is the same on both cars:

CIMG2052.jpg

Unfortunately the buttons themselves are mounted very differently and aren't able to be swapped over.

CIMG2055.jpg

I bought some small stickers and some transfers and made up the buttons myself.

Here you can see the drive is a perfect fit:

IMG_0219.jpg

And here it is installed with the stickers over the buttons:

IMG_0218.jpg

It's a pretty good system but it's not a TomTom. There have been features I've liked on this though. The quick stop for petrol is much easier to use than TomTom and I like the bigger screen.

Is the UK DVD player for the SatNav only, or does it feed AV signals to the screen and speakers as well?

The reason I ask is that the JDM DVD part name has AV and Navi on it, while the UK part name only has Navi.

Hey well done! I was interested to see what it looked like as I didn't have that in my JDM - I had an aftermarket head unit with sat nav. I guess the cubby behind my seat is where your unit goes?

I think the JDM may have AV&NAVI because of the Television function and I guess thats what the extra connections on the back are for.

Just out of curiosity where exactly did you get the Navi unit.. i've made about 30 phone calls to breakers and scrap yards etc but have had no luck at all :dry:

A lot! They wouldn't split the components so I had to pay ~ £500 but I really wanted stock internal sat nav.

If you can hold out you'd be better waiting a few months to see what comes up.

You should be able to get the drive - usually with the dvd in it - for £100.

• 2 weeks later...

hi, finally got my hands on an x trail unit via ebay today - paid a premium to secure it but Im looking forward to it arriving already! - I had one question about fitting it - I notice that there is a smaller rectangular piece of trim that fits around the dvd unit - can i swap them over by just removing this or will I need to remove the whole rear panel?

PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!

my nav unit arrived today - having unpacked the damn thing I noticed that the connector on the back is different to the JDM one (not the extra leads for av but the nav connector) DUH! should have known to check as my car is a 2003 and the nav unit is 2006 - how frustrating my dreams of nav have been set back already and Im 300 quid lighter!

Does anyone know of a supplier who might be able to sell some sort of adapator to fit over my old loom to fit into this new one

Let that be a lesson to anyone else - make sure you get a picture of the connectors before you buy it

PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!

my nav unit arrived today - having unpacked the damn thing I noticed that the connector on the back is different to the JDM one (not the extra leads for av but the nav connector) DUH! should have known to check as my car is a 2003 and the nav unit is 2006 - how frustrating my dreams of nav have been set back already and Im 300 quid lighter!

Does anyone know of a supplier who might be able to sell some sort of adapator to fit over my old loom to fit into this new one

Let that be a lesson to anyone else - make sure you get a picture of the connectors before you buy it

Are you sure you havent pulled too much connector off? Sounds stupid.. only reason im asking is that my satnav is 2006. Not sure if its just the disk thats 2006 though!

Im pretty sure you can sell it on anyway!

Ian - nope wires not pulled out its just a different model - Im guessing yours has an 06 disk rather then an actual 06 unit then

as for your unit VG - I googled the serial number and found that it was from a 2002 hence the perfect fit with your 350

It doesnt look like a harness adaptor exists to go from one nissan system to another as they are usually sold to fit a OEM loom to an aftermarket system - so the next step for me is to find a 2006 loom and splice the connector head on to my existing loom. I will give that a go before I put it back up on ebay