My Winter project 350z engine rebuild

Cosmic73

The correct way to fit the timing cover is to leave the dowels in place as they do serve a purpose.

The problem that you are having is that the front cover should be fitted before the mid-sump.

if you fit any other way then you run the risk of oil leaks from the front half moon packing immediately or in the near future.

so the way to fit the front cover with the sump already fitted is to remove the dowels from the engine , measure the dowel run the same size drill through the front cover so the dowels slide into the cover nice and easily. fit the front cover then refit the dowels to position the front cover in the correct position.

6 hours ago, SWoMP said:

Regarding your first post, I think the Haynes manual for the 350 originates in the USA and is therefore left-handed!

Just in case anyone else is looking...

I never realised that, I assumed Haynes was all UK spec.

Thanks for sharing 🙂

8 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

The correct way to fit the timing cover is to leave the dowels in place as they do serve a purpose.

The problem that you are having is that the front cover should be fitted before the mid-sump.

if you fit any other way then you run the risk of oil leaks from the front half moon packing immediately or in the near future.

I agree, but it's all about risk and as for as the half moon is concerned, it shouldn't notice any difference as it will be where it needs to be (without it being manipulated)  and then dowels will then secure it exactly in position.

As far as I can see it should be ok.

6 hours ago, Mark@Abbey m/s said:

so the way to fit the front cover with the sump already fitted is to remove the dowels from the engine , measure the dowel run the same size drill through the front cover so the dowels slide into the cover nice and easily. fit the front cover then refit the dowels to position the front cover in the correct position.

You read my mind! 🙂

The dowels were in the cover not the engine but came out nice and smoothly using my vice, a 10mm socket as a dolly and small bolt.

I've give everything a good clean with emery paper and the dowels will slide back into the cover with just few taps of a hammer once it's fitted.

IMG_20240217_163044.jpg.8f3abd6542ef429bf0896e3368bee1ec.jpg

Edited by Cosmic73

Timing cover fitting went well. The half moon didn't budge at all.

I nipped up the 2 internal sump bolts to compress the moon a little and the dowels lined up fine and were hammered back in

IMG_20240219_170343835.jpg.89480ce9faff8108333e74d6ff74c59d.jpg

IMG_20240219_170403072.jpg.1ee649d26b886047b94dffbd226beeb9.jpg

• Like 1

I had my fuel injectors reconditioned and they've came back with a clean bill of health.

Got them fitted along with some coolant hoses etc.

There's really not much more to do except,

-Wait for new solenoid gaskets,

-Tighten crank bolt,

-Fit the air intake,

-Clip up the electrical connectors

IMG_20240224_110321811.jpg.0fae28dcd5e149dda39dc453e565e05b.jpg

• Like 2

That's a trick little tool, had to do mine the ghetto way. 4th gear, handbrake and foot brake applied to hold the engine. Nice slow coolant fill and bleed to come also.

6 hours ago, davey_83 said:

That's a trick little tool, had to do mine the ghetto way. 4th gear, handbrake and foot brake applied to hold the engine. Nice slow coolant fill and bleed to come also.

I tried it in gear but the gearbox was winding up too much and I was scared in case I snapped a tooth.

The tool will be a good investment because I'll definitely do another 350.

Yep, only the coolant and electric connections really, but I'm pi**ed off I didn't get solenoid gaskets in my kit, now I'm having to wait till the middle of March till they arrive before I can fire it up 😞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cosmic73 said:

I tried it in gear but the gearbox was winding up too much and I was scared in case I snapped a tooth.

The tool will be a good investment because I'll definitely do another 350.

Yep, only the coolant and electric connections really, but I'm pi**ed off I didn't get solenoid gaskets in my kit, now I'm having to wait till the middle of March till they arrive before I can fire it up 😞

Nice pal. What's the condition like of your old gaskets? Mine were toast and beyond saving or running gasket maker temporarily. Best not to rush anything at this late stage, plenty of Z meets coming for 2024 

9 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Nice pal. What's the condition like of your old gaskets? Mine were toast and beyond saving or running gasket maker temporarily. Best not to rush anything at this late stage, plenty of Z meets coming for 2024 

Gaskets weren't too bad actually, but the O rings between the timing housing and cover etc had turned hard as had the valve seals so I'm glad those were all replaced.

Yep, no rush, nearly there..... 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Buddy YEAHHHH!!! Get in that man, how's the warm up gone? 

Cheers pal, the warm up went fine thanks.

Reached it's temp, I kept the revs between 2-3000rpm to bed in the rings.

But, there's an oil leak!

It seems to be coming from the back corner of the rocker cover near the throttle valve. It's dripping oil on the exhaust manifold and smoking like hell.

I've nipped up the rocker bolts and will run it again tomorrow and hope that fixes the leak. If it doesn't I don't know what I can do. 😞

Both me and my mate had an oil leak from the exact same spot, the gasket had just come out of place a touch so wouldn't seal. Had to remove this bracket during investigation. Off it came again, warmed up the rubber to reshape as it was new and refitted with a bit of gasket maker and it's been fine since. 

received_931429078089348.jpeg.f180ef1e47780120afcc9861bc2dda30.jpeg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Both me and my mate had an oil leak from the exact same spot, the gasket had just come out of place a touch so wouldn't seal. Had to remove this bracket during investigation. Off it came again, warmed up the rubber to reshape as it was new and refitted with a bit of gasket maker and it's been fine since. 

received_931429078089348.jpeg.f180ef1e47780120afcc9861bc2dda30.jpeg

That's exactly where mine's leaking and trickling down that bracket.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow, but looks like I might have to refit it.

At least it's not the head gasket, that would be a show stopper. 🙂

I can't remove the plastic hose running between the valve covers and scared in case I snap them.

Previously I removed both valve covers together so it wasn't a problem, but now I just want to remove one, I'm stuffed.

Is there a tool or special method?

IMG_20240315_162741.jpg.a8d9dca644f4b635f45ce4600fb2ad76.jpg

4 minutes ago, Cosmic73 said:

I can't remove the plastic hose running between the valve covers and scared in case I snap them.

Previously I removed both valve covers together so it wasn't a problem, but now I just want to remove one, I'm stuffed.

Is there a tool or special method?

IMG_20240315_162741.jpg.a8d9dca644f4b635f45ce4600fb2ad76.jpg

Worked it out, managed to slide the hose of the plastic fittings, bloody tight though 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cosmic73 said:

Oil leak solved, yes Dave, you were right, part of the gasket had slid out while fitting and was actually being sliced by the cam lobe! 

Good save matey, that sneaky b*tch corner ay

• Like 1