Fuel Gauge Dodgy?

SW66TTT

Are the fuel gauges on the 350z dodgy in general or is it just mine, it fluctuates between just over and just under half way and moves up and down randomly.  I filled up to full a while back and it went to 3 quarters.  I've not let it get too low as im worried its not actually reading properly and dont want to run out.

• 5 months later...

this is still annoying me, took the car out for a drive today, did about 10 miles, at one point the needle was just above quarter full, 5 mins later just below then 5 minutes later its gone back up again.   is it likely the gauge or the float in the tank?

Mine goes all over the place (+/- nearly quarter) but usually sorts itself out on a long even road. think its to do with the sender being at one side of the tank so you can have more fuel over the other side when driving aggressively, also goes up when you point the car downhill and goes down when going up hill, could also be a sticky float/lever if thats how it reads the level. I just live with it, as long as you don't drive too far with it in red its fine in my eyes.

I've found distance to empty is depending on driving still of the moment and the gauge does the same thing. I've pulled into the pits as the fuel light came on, then later from the paddock drove out off and the gauge went back up to almost 1/4 tank. 

The pitch or roll of the car will always affect  the reading to an extent, but if your gauge reads significantly less than full when the tank is brimmed, or reads empty long before it is,  it will likely be one of the senders...........