Hello and a quick question or two

Hello All,

First off can I just start by saying what a great site this is :)

Now I am thinking of handing back my current car, an 06 diesel Honda Civic to the Honda/finance company bored now you see :blush:, and spending about £12,000 to £15,000 on getting one of the following:-

S2000

VX220

350Z

Now I have already kind of ruled out the VX220 on grounds of practicality, and so I went for a test drive in a new S2000 and a new 350Z last weekend and your be unsurprised to hear that so far the 350Z is winning hands down :D

Now I have been looking through the past post and been able to use the info in the past post’s to deal with most of my own questions, which is great.

But I still have one question that I can’t seem to answer and need you guys and gals help. You see I need to use this car as my daily driver and seeing as I do about 70-75 miles a day (mostly motorway) I was wondering if the 350Z was the best car for the job? I have read through the very useful post of the cost of doing 100,000 miles in a 350 and so far they don’t look too bad although 4 clutches does seem a bit worrying :scare:.

I was also interested in, if the changes made in 2004 to the suspension had a big impact on driveability, most of the 350 that fall in my price range are either the JDM Fairlady Z’s or the early UK models. I don’t have a problem with getting a JDM but I would like to know if they handle the same as the new ones.

Any comments or advice would be great and I would really appreciate any advice or guidance you can provide.

Many thanks,

Laurence

After my trip to the pumps in the Diesel Altea today and for the first time having the £60 cut off on the self service pumps cut in before th tank was full, I would suggest that if you are doing 75 miles a day in the Z you consider fuel economy as a major factor in your purchase.

at 75 miles with the majority on the motorway, you are going to see somewhere around 25mpg I would think.

Thats more than £13 per day in fuel. £65 a week, or almost £3k a year depending on your holidays.

Thats before you do any other driving for pleasure.

The Z will no doubt put a smile on your face, but the credit card bill for fuel for that number of miles certainly wont, also that sort of mileage on a car such as the 350 will also increase the depreciation rate on the car.

There are those that use the Z as a daily drive, and do high miles, but the difference between a 2.0 diesel and a 3.5 petrol on fuel costs will be significant.

Then there is the nice new tax bands created by Mr Darling - we are about to get hit for £300+ and next year its £400+.

It may be worth considering a seperate "banger" for the motorway hack if possible - though obviously you have to weigh up whether you have room for it, the two lots of car tax, two lots of insurance etc against the extra depreciation and fuel costs of running Z daily.

As for the suspension, unfortunately I have only ever driven 05 onward Z's so cannot compare the changes, sorry.

EDIT:

Edited to add we did a 2500 mile trip round Europe last year in the Z complete with all the luggage, and the Z ate the miles up. 450 mile trips in a single day were fine. The ride is stiffer than a typical motorway barge, but its not go-kart harsh.

the zed is not cheap on fuel, its a brilliant mile muncher, i do a 400 mile round trip to work and its comfortable and a joy to drive, costs approx £80, my mates diesel costs £40 for the same trip ! i just dont like putting the mileage on the car ! and atm i'm toying with buying a diesel aswell ??

i've drove a few vx220 turbo's, what a hoot ! handle like its on rails but theres no way you could commute everyday in one - too hardcore imo

Thanks for the quick update :D

Why do you bring me back to reality Chesterfield WHY!!!!! ;)

I know the fuel will be an issue, at the mo I am spending around £50 a week to fill my tank and do the 370 miles a week. So weekly fule cost £50 x 50 weeks worked = £2,500

On a weekly break down it's only an extra £5, so it SHOULD be ok :D

My other idea was to buy an old one and then just put the miles on, I was not to worried about selling it afterwoods, as you always lose money on car :(

I did look at a VERY nice new one, at the dealership who were talking to me about a leaseing agremment, which may be a way to go. But its a lot of £££ for a car you never own.

Welcome and hope you decide to get a ZED :thumbs:

What the others have said above is all good stuff but when you factor in the :teeth: consideration the ZED wins hands down and if you start and end your day with those :teeth: 's :teeth: s that is likely to make the daily grind go a whole lot better than chugging along in a diesel or a banger.

If the running costs are an issue for you then unfortunately the ZED certainly is not going to be your most econmical choice, and lets face it the way this country is going the politicans are clearly trying to price us off the roads. But remmber you only live once and if you enjoy your driving I can promise you (after 40+ years of it) that you will be hard put to find better drive, as I say in my sig. :)

Welcome to the forum bud. I do a lot of miles on motorways and love the car. It makes commuting very enjoyable and for that alone its priceless. Add the grin factor of owning a car which you dont see very often and the brilliant social scene and its the best car in every way.

I have a roadster and dont have any problem with space and storage so if you are after a coupe you will be fine. :teeth:

Welcome, welcome, welcome.

I do quite a few miles in Zed some 6000 this year and an enormous amount more in other vehicles, obviously includes a lot of motorway and on average this year I'm on 24.9mpg with average speed of 46mph. I don't always drive as if I'm wearing a hat on Sundays either.

Short journeys are horrible for consumption regardless of driving style. I find it practical enough and the noise compared to S2000 much better for daily driving.

I have to believe as you are considering these cars a few pounds a week isn't your driving [ha ha] decision.

Do the right thing and get something you will enjoy looking at, driving and if at anytime in your daily drive you wish to play a bit you can. Would be a shame in the future to be driving along in something else and keep spotting those Zeds about, wouldn't it.

People are talking about the car being uneconomical but he isn't comparing a diesel to a zed. The choice is between an S2K and a Zed. The zed will drink the juice but so will an S2K...........Don't worry about the fuel and just buy one B)

Oh and :welcome:

People are talking about the car being uneconomical but he isn't comparing a diesel to a zed. The choice is between an S2K and a Zed. The zed will drink the juice but so will an S2K...........Don't worry about the fuel and just buy one B)

Oh and :welcome:

I was just reminding Lauben of the fun factor as Chesterfield had introduced the diesel/banger options that would save on costs but at the expense of enjoyment. And yes the ZED is a far more rounded car that the S2k :thumbs:

driven all three extensively, the vx220 turbo i wasnt impressed with at all (my bro had one for a year) and it didnt feel as fast as it should, the gearbox was shocking and it was dangerous to drive hard because the suspension was rock solid and if you hit a pothole it would chuck you into a hedge! both me my bro and dad were really really dissapointed with this car after all the rave reviews it got it in the press.

s2000, great car, build quality, engine but you just cant cruise it in like you can the Zed and on the limit again it felt dangerous, very light in the tail and to be treated with maximum respect.

350Z, what a cracking car, relaxed cruiser when you want it to be, brilliant drivers car when driven hard. looks so bloody stylish and the amount of looks you get is incredible. i had two seperate people today walk over and ask me what it was? guessing it was a porsche :lol:\

anyway, essay over. just thought id put my two pennies worth in!

driven all three extensively, the vx220 turbo i wasnt impressed with at all (my bro had one for a year) and it didnt feel as fast as it should, the gearbox was shocking and it was dangerous to drive hard because the suspension was rock solid and if you hit a pothole it would chuck you into a hedge! both me my bro and dad were really really dissapointed with this car after all the rave reviews it got it in the press.

s2000, great car, build quality, engine but you just cant cruise it in like you can the Zed and on the limit again it felt dangerous, very light in the tail and to be treated with maximum respect.

350Z, what a cracking car, relaxed cruiser when you want it to be, brilliant drivers car when driven hard. looks so bloody stylish and the amount of looks you get is incredible. i had two seperate people today walk over and ask me what it was? guessing it was a porsche :lol:\

anyway, essay over. just thought id put my two pennies worth in!

sums it up well :thumbs:

Welcome to the forum.

I've driven 16 x 350's, aging from 2003 - 2007, softtop & hardtop. The older models, have much firmer suspension, this changed about mid 2004, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2005 onwards is definitely on the softer suspension. It really comes down to personal preference, and how the individual car handles. My 2004 was a nightmare on the stock suspension, but then other 2004 were nowhere near as harsh as my little beasty.

Personally I'd recommend taking a few for a drive, to get a good comparison. Was the 2007 you drove a demo car??? Most cars feel a bit different after they've done about 5000 kms, everything all bedded/settled in etc.

The newer models have more power, but slightly less torque and are also slightly heavier, so it all balances out to basically the same thing.

Also add into the equation how long you maybe keeping the car for if you are doing higher mileage.

Keep us posted on what you end up with.

:welcome:

My dad uses his Z everyday for work and last year that ment travelling to luton airport 2-3 times aweek and he had no problems with comfort or anything else for that matter.

And as a passenger ive been with him to pik up both his Z'ds once from warrington and the other from yorkshire and I found it fine on the journey back to Wokingham which is a good few hours sitting in a car.

and he averages about 25 MPG