Loud ticking from top of engine

andy james

I know this subject has been covered on this forum and in the US but I’m pulling my hair out as to why after storing the car over the winter she suddenly developed a loud ticking noise which seems to be coming from the top of the engine. Using my stethoscope the noise seems to be on or around the fuel rail.

Research points to 4 common faults and I have checked, cleaned or replaced all of them.
1. Fuel rail damper. Replaced.

2. Fuel damper from tank to fuel rail. Replaced.

3. Injectors removed and cleaned on the bench with carb cleaner pushed through while  connected to 12v supply. 

4. The most obvious culprit and the worst case scenario was a worn bucket lifter.

I removed both rocker covers and  checked the camshafts clearances and are all fine.

As my car is not stock and has bigger injectors, a fuel return system I’m struggling to think a knackered injector can make such a loud noise! 
Any ideas would be appreciated.

This is a video of my Z diesel!

I had a ticking noise on my 2007 DE Rev-up, that was fairly similar. Check out my YouTube video -

I had some success in switching to a 5W - 40 oil, instead of 5W - 30. I also replaced my Fuel Damper, but that made no difference.

Edited by ThreeFiddyZ
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...