TV Advice

MrLizard

Ive been told that you cant lay a plasma on its side? Is that true???

That is correct they have to remaim upright. :thumbs:

Screen Burn is a thing of the past with modern plasma's, though the common phrase is called image retention. :thumbs:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you still get "screenburn" with plasmas.. or is that a thing of the past? i have a sharp 37" aquios hd lcd screen - had it for about a year and a half and i cant complain!

I have an Aquos as well. I keep that one in the living room for regular tv. It's about 26" so it doesn't dominate the room. I keep the big Sony in the games room so I can ignore other people and watch movies in a room that is better shaped for sound then a living room would be. i.e. Tv is centred on the wall with speakers positioned round the room and couch centred by opposite wall.

Guest prescience

Just a note of caution as of today. I think the digitaldirect (DD) and soundandvisiononline sites posted by myself and Rob are very closely related. The phone numbers are very close and the Panasonic with DD works out exactly the same including delivery as soundandvision.

The only reason I mention this is that my Dad has just today found a rogue transaction on his credit card and it was this credit card which paid for his telly with DD and he doesn't use that credit card for anything else. It could be a mistaken transaction and I have had no problems but just thought I'd sound a note of caution.

i got the 42" Panasonic PZ85B, awesome screen, well happy, even got them to pay for my taxi home as wouldnt fit in the car (obviously) though the salesman said they had someone try and get onei n a 911 the week before, lol!

xbox 360 replaced under warranty arrived the same day, which now has a HDMI out on the back, plugged straight in and found as 1080p, :D

still unpacking the rest of the house but I do have the lounge done :)

i got the 42" Panasonic PZ85B, awesome screen, well happy, even got them to pay for my taxi home as wouldnt fit in the car (obviously) though the salesman said they had someone try and get onei n a 911 the week before, lol!

xbox 360 replaced under warranty arrived the same day, which now has a HDMI out on the back, plugged straight in and found as 1080p, :D

still unpacking the rest of the house but I do have the lounge done :)

Great news mate, i need to set up the xbox on live soon, ill let everyone know my live ID so we can all play forza or something :thumbs:

IMHO the best one available is the 50" Pioneer Kuro that does a native resolution of 1920 * 1080. Blows everything else out of the water, unfortunately it comes in at a shade over £3,000 :cry:
For a 50", that is a good price in my eyes! Especially for a pioneer :thumbs:

The Kuro's have great reviews, sl114, im a big fan of forza, so anytime you want a race let me know :)

my tag is Team Lizard

Will do mate, i have not even looked at setting it up yet, but will let you know when i do :thumbs:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-PDPLX50 ... 50-1359930

Can still buy them at the moment. Unfortunately I can't afford it at the moment :(

Waiting for our existing CRT to finally die before I try and convince the wife that blowing £3,000 on a 50" plasma is the way to go :teeth:

Buy her flowers. Place in vase on top of TV. Buy/borrow/steal a cat. Throw cat at flowers from a seated position just as wife is about to enter room.

Sorted.

New tv. :thumbs:

Unfortunately her dad can repair TV's, I'd have to get the cat on him as well.....

:)

Where did you get it from steve and how much? I'm gonna buy one but can't find it cheaper than here:

http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products ... t_id=15918

Liam,

Got it from Currys because we needed a microwave/hoover/tv stand/chairs,

turned up on the day and they had a 15% off deal off TV's so, 1300- 15% about 200 ish,

I got them to give me a free hoover, free extended warranty, free microwave with warranty, free cables, £70 for tv stand, and got them to pay for my taxi home.

If you can get one I would heartily recommend it, it is an awesome set.

Just waiting for my ps3/gt5 to arrive now :)

Liam,

Got it from Currys because we needed a microwave/hoover/tv stand/chairs,

turned up on the day and they had a 15% off deal off TV's so, 1300- 15% about 200 ish,

I got them to give me a free hoover, free extended warranty, free microwave with warranty, free cables, £70 for tv stand, and got them to pay for my taxi home.

If you can get one I would heartily recommend it, it is an awesome set.

Just waiting for my ps3/gt5 to arrive now :)

I saw one yesterday in Dixons. Have to say it was head and shoulders about every other set they had running even a Sony one that was similar spec. Thats hard for me to admit because for some reason in the past I have only ever bought Sony!!

What do I need to ensure that the TV picture runs at the same quality as it did in the shop? I will want to hook up my sky+, PS3, Xbox360, Wii, surround sound and DVD player to it.....I may also upgrade my sky to skyHD, has anyone done this? Is it worth it?

my boss has a 50" sony with sky hd in it, looks good when what they are watching has been filmed in hd, other than that the upscaling is so so,

The TV has 3 HDMI sockets all capable of 1080p

360/ps3 will require 2 of them,

the Wii runs in standard def and just needs a composite cable in, the tv runs that at 540p is it? (someone correct me?)

The way I have mine setup is running through my AMP with the sound going through the TV back to the amp, which if you have a surround sound system is the way you want it done :)

Although if you have both 360 and ps3 why would you want a dvd player as well? (which you would have enough spare sockets for if needed)

The screen picked up the highest native res of everything ive put in it so far... including my PC.

Also comes with panasonics own TV guide (like sky)

I havent noticed any blur/or pixelation or issues with blacks/brightness or skin tone (which is a good test), well happy :)

the Wii runs in standard def and just needs a composite cable in, the tv runs that at 540p is it? (someone correct me?)

Even though the Wii runs standard def I would not recommend using composite for the picture - its the worst of the worst - use scart or component connections ideally