Hello all - trawling for info on my next car

Hi all,

Currently own a modified 200sx (1995 S14) which although still running great is showing it's age in the bodywork department. I've been a member of the SXOC since it's original Coolboard days when we had about 15 members but it's time for a change.

I'm looking for a new car as I've had the 200 for 10 years now and having test driven a few possibles (Monaro, Z4, 330, Boxter, etc) I think I've narrowed it down to an S2000 or a 350Z. I have a mate at work with a 350 JDM in black and he purposely parks it

where I have to walk by going from one production area to another just to keep reminding me.

I do tend to keep my cars for a long time, my previous car was a 1988 Sierra XR4x4 which I had for 10 years so I like to be aware of as much info as possible before I take the plunge.

Anyway, I'll be reading up as much as possible as to which is the best model/options to look out for (looking at spending ~£20K) and then probably posting for some help if I can't nail down all the info I need.

David

Well loads of info on here David. The best place to start is driving the cars, many have been in the predicament of S2k and Zed. For all the guys here the Zed won! :lol:

For 20k you are laughing, you will get pic of the specs for that. There aren't really many issues, skipping bose head unit, clicking rear axle, corroding Rays alloys to name 3. All issues are documented pretty well on here. Roadsters sometimes have leaky hoods too.

I guess go and drive the cars and then when you decide the Zed is the beast you want it'll be time to start car hunting!

:welcome::thumbs:

I Had a Test Drive In My Zed ..... Never Gave It Back :teeth::teeth:

All You Have To Decide Is ....Coupe Or Roadster Then Colour.. Easy :p:p:p:thumbs:

Well it'll be a coupe and my favorite colour atm is azure :)

A man with taste......

Having tested a S2000 before getting my first ZED I loved the engine at high revs but anything under 5k was a bit of a let down and it jsut did not do it for me for everyday driving. Also, I was also not interested in a soft top and the hard top option looked just that - an afterthought.

With the ZED you get a far more punchy motor, even at low revs in high gears but it is really its strongest in third and fourth (at legit speeds on UK roads). And it is so well balanced for push-on motoring and when the fancy takes turn off the TC and enjoy some opposite locking but be weary of no TC on when its wet - probably no need to mention that to you but a whole different kettle of fish to a Sierra 4x4 in the wet. For me, the driving position is superior to the S2000 and even with the standard exhaust it is intoxicating, hence why I am on my second one. For £20k you will get a 2006 (296bhp) spec car, at current prices - a quick scan of pistonheads will reveal your choices.

I also chose the ZED on the basis that almost without exception, experienced road testers (likes of EVO etc) still rate it after several years and having experienced a 200sx in the past you wil not be disappointed :teeth:

I agree with the S2K's engine, great fun with 9k but that's the one thing that puts me off really I prefer bigger/torquey engines. Gonna really show my age now but one of my favorite cars that I've had was a 3.0 capri :blush:

The thing I liked about my XR/Capri was that if I was just cruising about I could pretty much just stick it in 3rd and that was it. First gear for if I had to stop and then into third and just drive B)

The reading continues.....

You are like me (only older.... :p)

I tried the S2K and liked the handling, the cabin was decent enough but once in the Zed felt at home. It really is a decent GT (as my highlands road trip would testify!) as you can lop in a couple of suitcases, stick it in gear and cruise around on torque for hours on end.

The S2K is a good car, just doesn't suit me. I don't want a frantic white knuckle 9k ride everytime I get in the car. Without doing this the car sucks! So in conclusion. S2K slow = :yawn: S2K quick = :teeth: 350Z slow = B) 350Z fast = :teeth:

Hope this helps! ;)

lol hi ya Dave as if taunting you at work was not enough just thought id poke my nose in here and say hi.. and i will try and keep the z around the corner for a while :) maybe :) besides whilst your busy looking at the z , im busy looking at your tricked out sx modded with taste...

take care pal

and good luck with your choice, and rememeber the keys to the z are yours if you ever fancied it for a few days to see if it is your thing....

Nick

Nick, I thought you'd be too busy sourcing your new wheels rather than stalking me on here :p:D

I had another couple of hours with an S2K and have decided that fun though it was for a quick blast I couldn't live with it day in and day out with some of the trips I have to make.

Still in a bit of a dilemma though over JDM/UK, I know you went JDM and will use the cash saved for mods and I can see the sense in that but having never gone down the import road before I'm still kind of leaning toward UK.

Ah well, trying to purge my old brain of all the stuff I've picked up on the SX and trying to stuff it with Z info now :headhurt:

David

Nick, I thought you'd be too busy sourcing your new wheels rather than stalking me on here :p:D

I had another couple of hours with an S2K and have decided that fun though it was for a quick blast I couldn't live with it day in and day out with some of the trips I have to make.

Still in a bit of a dilemma though over JDM/UK, I know you went JDM and will use the cash saved for mods and I can see the sense in that but having never gone down the import road before I'm still kind of leaning toward UK.

Ah well, trying to purge my old brain of all the stuff I've picked up on the SX and trying to stuff it with Z info now :headhurt:

David

Maybe buy an import thats already in the country? Easy :thumbs:

uk jdm???, tough call, on one hand you have the pros of a uk spec car , the other you will be missing out on satnav, decent headunit, and a few other things like optional brembo brakes and so forth..... looking back im glad at the money i saved and i have no doubt i would be carrying out the same mods on a uk z, just wished mine had the brembos on .... no doubt if a set come up cheap a retrofit may be an option.... who knows wheels first , lowering kit and anti roll bar upgrade is on the cards first, having a crack at the car pc in the morning if this damn insomnia ever goes away.... and looking forward to the jwt popcharger arriving for some nice induction sounds.... when we were chatting the other night what was the name of that chap you were telling me about who crates up spares from japan?

uk jdm???, tough call, on one hand you have the pros of a uk spec car , the other you will be missing out on satnav, decent headunit, and a few other things like optional brembo brakes and so forth..... looking back im glad at the money i saved and i have no doubt i would be carrying out the same mods on a uk z, just wished mine had the brembos on .... no doubt if a set come up cheap a retrofit may be an option.... who knows wheels first , lowering kit and anti roll bar upgrade is on the cards first, having a crack at the car pc in the morning if this damn insomnia ever goes away.... and looking forward to the jwt popcharger arriving for some nice induction sounds.... when we were chatting the other night what was the name of that chap you were telling me about who crates up spares from japan?

The top spec JDM's come with brembo's and you can add a sat nav / headunit combo pretty easily and cheaper than Nissan birdview sat nav. This car is in the uk, jdm, with Brembo's and £12k:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/417939.htm

:)