Not so glorious Goodwood FoS

coldel

Of course after 3 days of glorious weather, went on Sunday and it promptly threw it down with rain all day. Gave up in the end and left around 3pm. Still, got a few vids of some F1 cars as well as Robocar, an electric autonomous race car that goes up the hill on its own...sort of...

Red Bill F1, oh the noise, the noise, stunning 

Jackie Stewart going up the hill with his family in tow 

And Robocar, scared of the dark 

• Like 1

Watched from the armchair - the Goodwood live streaming is brilliant and you can now switch between the track action and the arena action.

Oh, and Robocar stopped on the Sunday run up the hill near the flint wall.  I'm not a nervous passenger in a well-driven car on the road or on track but I'd be shitting myself if I was pushed into any unmanned or self-driving car, as I would take a lot of convincing that would be safer then a human brain sending the signals........

• Haha 1

Yes the autonomous vehicle got confused because the dark tunnel, the lady on the loudspeaker speaking on behalf of it said it stopped because it sensed danger and it automatically stops if it does - clearly needs some work to be put on the road!

21 hours ago, Ebized said:

Watched from the armchair - the Goodwood live streaming is brilliant and you can now switch between the track action and the arena action.

Oh, and Robocar stopped on the Sunday run up the hill near the flint wall.  I'm not a nervous passenger in a well-driven car on the road or on track but I'd be shitting myself if I was pushed into any unmanned or self-driving car, as I would take a lot of convincing that would be safer then a human brain sending the signals........

Colin as someone who works with computers my whole life, I would never trust it, too many variables can go wrong not least cheap component parts duff sensors and a situation the developers never thought of.

A friend of mine borrowed a Bentley Bentaga (yes the fugly one) for a weekend. 

He set to cruise control, head up display all very fancy apparently. Its clever, reads the circular road speed limit signs and adjusts the cars speed to match, all nice but you know continental lorries that have 100kmh max road speed signs on their tail gates, well the Bentley read it thought it was a 100mph sign and promptly accelerated at which point my mate paniced had to cancel the cruise and go back to manual! 

Too much tech , trying to be too clever, asking for trouble. :surrender:

I am sure in 50 years it will be the norm, but right now it feels like too much of a commercial push to get this tech on the road and I don't think its ready. At the moment we accept as road users that humans make mistakes, if a machine gets it wrong and kills someone it's a whole different ball game, look at Boeing right now. 

I like the tech and the idea, but the commercials that force this tech through too early is not good. Everyone had a good laugh at Robocar which I am sure performed faultlessly on other days up the hill but the day it was dark and wet look what happened...

• Like 1