Battery life when not used

MDMetal

For the past year and a bit I've been swapping between the 350 and my other car (Thwarting my attempts to get it over 100k miles)

Often it sits in the garage for up to 6-8 weeks, twice now the battery has discharged and I've had to let it charge over a few days before using it when it's perfectly happy again. In the 7-8 years of ownership It's had a few batteries so it's kept fairly up to date. 

I've no problem with putting it on trickle charge while in the garage I'm just wondering if people consider it should be able to sit for up to two months and still be able to start happily? It has an aftermarket stereo/rear camera/auto folding mirrors, rear view mirror mod but all of them should have been wired up to the correct power (ie not the always live).

It's perfectly happily not being used for a few weeks but 2 months seems to be the limit, does that seem about right? 

The fancy BMW just seems to turn things off to ensure the battery doesn't drain obviously the 350 doesn't have those sort of features.

Just curious :)

16 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

You will be lucky if you get 2 - 4 weeks on standby I am afraid.

2-4 isn't an issue for me but 6-8 is definitely on the limit, at 6 weeks it's a properly spluttery slow start, 8 weeks is dead battery territory. No worries though I'll pop it on a trickle charge in the garage. Speaking of which my current charger is basically a transformer and 2 croc clips (ebay special) it works fine but I wonder if there's a nicer version people recommend?

17 minutes ago, MDMetal said:

but I wonder if there's a nicer version people recommend?

Sorry for interrupting but it’s something I would like some advice on too, because I’ll be winterising one of my cars this year

1 hour ago, MDMetal said:

my current charger is basically a transformer and 2 croc clips (ebay special) it works fine but I wonder if there's a nicer version people recommend?

I use a CTEK MXS 5.0 and can't fault it :)

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 12:11, ZMANALEX said:

You will be lucky if you get 2 - 4 weeks on standby I am afraid.

hi zman alex how do i pm you or can you email me on mitchhicken@hotmail.com

got a customer looking for new cooling fans for his 2004 Nissan 350z

was a can communication error in the module, I have cleared fault codes and fans are now working but due to not working for the last 15 month they are a little stiff and not spinning at full speed

thanks