04 350z DE misfire whilst hot

spectron

Hi all, as the title, I'm starting to get an occasional misfire when the car gets hot and do get the EML flashing intermittently.

The odd thing is though, when we had a scan this weekend it's not storing any fault codes at all?

Does anyone know of an issue that would cause the EML to flash for misfire but not store a code?

Cheers

21 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Are you sure that it is the EML that is flashing and not the traction/anti skid?

Yes, it's definitely the EML, I've had it light up before at higher revs before I changed the spark plugs.

It flashes at a constant rate for a good 10 seconds whilst the engine seems to misfire then goes off again.

In my experience on customers cars (non zed) heat caused misfire usually points to coil packs breaking down rather than plugs. If you have a scanner with a misfire counter it may help, especially as they're individual coils on these, replacing all 6 could be costly and not necessary. 

58 minutes ago, Chrissaxon said:

Was the fault there before you changed the spark plugs? It could be coil pack breaking down . You will find out when you take out the spark plugs. If it's faulty .

No the misfire under these particular conditions manifested about 1000 miles after the spark plugs were changed.

When I bought the car, the previous owner had obviously neglected the plugs because after about 4 weeks of ownership I started to get a random misfire at high revs, which was sorted by changing the spark plugs. I'm hoping that by previously neglecting the plugs and causing them to break down, it put more stress on the coils which is why I'm now getting the issues I am. At least then it's any easy fix to diagnose and sort.

The good news is that I do now have a permanent EML so a code has been logged so just need to get my reader on it tomorrow.

I chased this problem for ages. The code reader kept saying random misfire.

If it's misfiring when hot you can find the offending coil by cooling them, I think its something electronic people do routinely? 

I got some freeze spray, waited till I got the misfire and sprayed the tops of the coils. P3 cooled down and the engine purred. The spray evaporated off and it ran rough again.....

10 hours ago, Kieran O'Quick said:

I got some freeze spray, waited till I got the misfire and sprayed the tops of the coils. P3 cooled down and the engine purred. The spray evaporated off and it ran rough again.....

Good option; I've got some in the garage but I'm doing nothing in this weather...!

Just as a final update, cylinder 5 had the misfire so replaced the coil and all is now good.

Only issue is the dreaded oil in the recess so it looks like I'm heading for a rocker cover gasket set replacement to stop it happening again.....

• 1 month later...

Sorry to jump on this one, but getting a similar issue, drives fine upto 70ish at 80 or above missfires. More noticeable up hill.

EML flashes for 10 seconds then stopped, logged P0300 (random missfire on one or more) and P0303 (Missfire on cyl 3) 

Ordered plugs to fit but is it more possible its the coil pack ?

6 Plugs done, 3 hours. First time i've stripped anything off so don't think it was too bad. 

Seems to run better than it ever has so far, need a long motorway run to see if the issue returns now...

Number 6 is a right arse to swap. One thing that did 'happen' P1136 quick google 'Potentially fried ECU' Panic time. On closer inspection I didn't reconnect the cam sensor near the airbox...  :bangin:

Safe to say, they were knackered..

20190511_134241.jpg

Update:

Still misses under load at 80 in 5th/6th

Coils next I guess....

Edited by Willsy1980