Missed services/late services

Maximus702

Hi folks.  

I used to have a 350z and decided I missed it and am now looking for a 370z.

However most of the cars I've seen seem to be either missing services of have been serviced far less than the recommended 1yr or 9k miles.

How major of an issue will it be if a car has gone 18k between a service over 2 years. Should I stay well away or not let it worry me too much?

How long is too long between them?

Edited by Maximus702
Typo

The service is just oil/filter changes I'd look in detail at the MOT's to see what the advisories were and if they reoccurred or seemed to be fixed. I'm fine with someone changing their own oil and filters and much more worried if it seems like there's a ton of advisories popping up.

25 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Might be a plan to speak with the previous owner to establish what has /has not been done.

Yup but the service is really just fluid changes and occasionally the belts. It's not a magic check or guarantee of anything. I've given up having my cars serviced apart from the BMW as it's resale price will factor in the magic dealer stamps, the other cars it makes no different and I'll do as good a job on the service as anyone else. 

11 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Leave it and keep looking. Youll find a better example

Agree, If you are uncomfortable in buying a car with a patchy service history then wait until you find one that meets your requirements.

Plenty of good cars out there with a fully documented service history.

A well cared for car with a full service history will also help the residual value when you come to sell.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Maximus702 said:

My concerns were more beyond that.  An MOT won't tell if there have been excessive engine wear etc.  That's what I'm more worried about.

Agreed, however service won't tell you those things either mind!

Patience to find the right car is the most important thing. Buy with your head and not with your heart. Don’t buy on looks alone. Plenty have be bitten. If something doesn’t feel right, then it probably isn’t right.