Scratch proof paint, anyone got it?

Cray Z

At least now we all know that this paint option is a total waste of money as it either doesn't work, the dealer just takes your money and it's never applied or both.

Without feedback on forums such as this I would never had known dealer applied Supagaurd was a SUPER RIPOFF.

And without this thread I would have believed the hype about self healing paint and swirls/marring.

But now I wouldn't even pay an extra FIVER for it.

So thanks for the info Cray Z

• Thanks 1

On 29/01/2019 at 16:19, ilogikal1 said:

You don’t have scratch proof paint, there’s no such thing. You have scratch resistant self-healing paint. It’s a very different thing.

THe paint feels soft. some scratches may not heel

A special highly elastic resin has been combined with a conventional clearcoat to increase the paint's flexibility. This has also increased its strength by raising the resin density.

-The paint does not self-repair if scratches are deep enough to sever the bonds within the clearcoat or if the clearcoat has been peeled off.
-The amount of time required for self-repair depends on the surrounding temperature and the depth of the scratch. In some cases, restoration may take up to one week.

Makes sense now!! I had a deeper one on the roof. Sometimes the hard paste wax could be mistaken for a scratch also in my case.

The only way around this is to get full PPF which also depending on depth of scratch may not self repair requiring a rewrap...

I Was offered Supagaurd. All gimmicks. PPF is the best protection to be frank. A simple Carnauba wax treatment or some crystal protection should be enough as standard. A lot of detailing companies well the honest ones can give you advice on this. 

Hard protection = PPF or Wrap

Soft Basic protection = Clearcoat protection products, Carnuaba  hard paste wax, gtechniq ceramic coating.

The paint on my moms ML320 1998 was a solid multi coat paint. She got smacked by a dozy driver. Took it to the garage and they simply wiped the scratch off.....Now thats scratch proof paint. That was the 90s though!

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

The paint on my moms ML320 1998 was a solid multi coat paint. She got smacked by a dozy driver. Took it to the garage and they simply wiped the scratch off.....Now thats scratch proof paint. That was the 90s though!

That's more likely to do with what was on the cloth than what paint was on the car. ;)

The problem with both this technology and coatings claiming certain hardness is the paint that's underneath. The softer the underlying paint, the more movement there is for the top layer when it's put under stress, therefore the more likely it is to break through the surface and cause permanent damage; i.e. scratch (I found a wonderful analogy about planks of wood on various surfaces once but I'm struggling to find it again.). It doesn't matter how hard that top layer is, a few microns of it ain't going to make up for the give underneath it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...