350z ART Pipe Crack!!!

reeceybeaney

Not sure where to start! 

Have had Motordyne ART Pipes fitted for nearly a year now and they have been the best aftermarket mod I have ever purchased... 

However... 

Driving along today and all of a sudden the exhaust tone massive depends and loudens significantly. It sounds as if the exhaust has literally fallen off! 

I pulled over to see that the silencer of the pipe is no more than an inch above the floor :( a careful, but noisy, drive home to jack the car up as quick as possible in the dark... 

...Only to find that the silencer pipe has nearly completely come away from the main part of the exhaust pipe, revealing a huge hole! My presumption is that the weld has failed resulting in a crack

Just wanted to share my experience with these and hopefully nobody has this problem, I believe the art pipes may have been updated in previous years and I may have an old batch!

The later image is borrowed from another forum, however the hole in my exhaust is about the size of the drawn orange circle around the welded circumference! 

IMG_20181220_182729.jpg

IMG_20181220_163729.jpg

11 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

Holy s**t, bit more than a small crack then! :scare: :lol:

How old are these pipes? And how's the other side holding up? 

Yeah not much of a crack :lol:

Well I'm guessing they're the oldest versions of the art pipes because the newer ones look slightly different on the ends of the chambers! 

Other side looks fine :shrug:

15 minutes ago, nissanman312 said:

Surely a company like that would send you a new set for that massive fail :thumbdown:

These must be 35 years old looking at the welds and shape :lol: . It looks like they've been tampered with before, look at the weld in the O2 sensors bung, that's not a Motordyne weld. 

Current shape looks like in this set: 

https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/350z/exhausts/test-pipes/45-350z-de-motordyne-advanced-resonance-tuning-art-test-pipes-md-002.html

5 minutes ago, Adrian@TORQEN said:

These must be 35 years old looking at the welds and shape :lol: . It looks like they've been tampered with before, look at the weld in the O2 sensors bung, that's not a Motordyne weld. 

Current shape looks like in this set: 

https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/350z/exhausts/test-pipes/45-350z-de-motordyne-advanced-resonance-tuning-art-test-pipes-md-002.html

I've seen the later revisions have a bracket between the two pipes which must take out a lot of stress! I've read American 350z forums and the Motordyne guy on there has said they added that bracket/revision for this reason :shrug:

I'm well aware they are a slightly older model but still shocked they would fail like this! 

43 minutes ago, Mark@Abbey m/s said:

The weld hasn't failed it has cracked around the outer circumference of the weld.

Looks like vibration has caused the failure. I would just repair and add a brace between the resonator and the main pipe

Exactly my thinking :thumbs:

No messing about here ;)

IMG_20181221_124219.jpg

IMG_20181221_124214.jpg