import reg.

pagan

Hi,

I am hoping someone could throw some light on how a 350z can be registered as being imported in 2010, but also have a date of first registration in 2010. After checking with the DVLA they said it's all legit, but how, when production ceased in Japan in 2009. Also the car  does not have the 2009-2010 correct engine.

Thanks for any help,

Keith

Probably been sat in a dealer storage for ages, although if it's a Revup (as you say, with the single intake into the engine) then that'd been there a while. Not impossible though, not by any means, there was a bunch of Irish cars like that that did the rounds for a while. 

Thanks for that, but this is a JDM import and it just  doesn't seem right. Is there some obvious way of checking year of production. Please don't say check  vin no. as thats not possible on JDM imports. I think I read somewhere that you can tell by seat-belt marking.

Daisyduke, all I know is the V5 reads first reg. in 2010 and imported in 2010.

Edited by pagan

4 minutes ago, pagan said:

Thanks for that, but this is a JDM import and it just  doesn't seem right. Is there some obvious way of checking year of production. Please don't say check  vin no. as thats not possible on JDM imports.

No, there is zero way of checking build date apart from writing to Nissan and asking very nicely, but you've two hopes with that and one died in 2003. 

If you have a Revup, you have a Revup. That's all there is to it, it was just registered very very very late. Hopefully you didn't pay OTT for it, or believe it was a HR model before buying.

3 hours ago, Daisyduke said:

I don't get what you are after.

It was imported in 2010 and registered in the UK in 2010. Therefore, date of first registration in this country is 2010.

That's not how it works with imports, you get an age equivalent registration not current registrations. You wont see 18 plate Integra DC5's etc. https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/registering-an-imported-vehicle

3 hours ago, Ekona said:

Probably been sat in a dealer storage for ages, although if it's a Revup (as you say, with the single intake into the engine) then that'd been there a while. Not impossible though, not by any means, there was a bunch of Irish cars like that that did the rounds for a while. 

This. Its either as Ekona says or my guess is the importer filled out the forms wrong and the DVLA just processed it without checking, it shouldnt happen but this is the DVLA afterall so anything is possible.

• Like 1

As I read it you have two dates on your V5 as its an import. Could be that the car was imported in 2010 and a mistake was made on the V5 putting the import date instead of the build/registration date in Japan. On my V5 it has two dates, Date of First Registration (in Japan 1995) and Date of First Registration in the UK (listed as 2009).  

When importing a car, you get a Japanese deregistration document, amongst other things that document will tell you, year of manufacturer and date of first registration in Japan and as Codel says, when that info is transferred to the V5, it will give date of first registration in Japan and date of first registration in the UK, the plate is nothing to do with year of manufacturer, and unless you have the de reg document (dvla will have a copy) the plate is based on the Japanese date of first registration, so either the guy who filled out the form did it wrong, unlikely as dvla require and check all the documents or it was first registered in Japan in 2010. 

As Ekona says, its worth checking with Nissan, phone the parts department (try Westover Nissan they are good), make up a part you need, headlight, bumper whatever and give them your chassis code, they will be able to tell you the year of manufacturer from it.

Oh, ok. Got a link?

I wouldn’t say there’s anything dodgy about that at all, just a DVLA balls up. If it’s a decent car, and remembering it’s a Revup and priced accordingly, I can’t see an issue at all. 

Thats the problem with the car I was looking at. It's obviously produced before 2006 as it dosn't have the revised engine and interior etc, yet you would be paying the higher tax rate because it was first registered in 2010.

Someones trying to pull a fast one!

• 3 weeks later...

If in doubt or your not comfortable... go look for another one. Ultimately don't get your head in a twist over searching for something your not keen on taking on. There are still a reasonably amount out there to choose from :)