Getting 350z vert next week

Hi Allen from Lincolnshire here.

I've left a deposit on a white 350z convertible to pick up next week it has 44.000 miles on the clock 2005 and in lovely condition. One issue is the roof goes down but the rear roof lid doesn' it stays fully up. 

I've read about the cold weather being a issue with the fabric if the roof has been closed for months and this one has.

I own a BMW E46 330 m sport convertible for 5 years never had a issue with the whole car or the roof also had a Z4 so not new to convertibles.

I have gone through the boards and each roof issue seem to be different.

The car is being looked at to be sorted and fixed before the sale by the trader.

If the problems can not be sorted by them what sort of mark down on the car should would be fair. Many thanks Allen.

Edited by Junkyardbear

Thanks guys nice to be hear. Just what I thought about a grand I'd buy it at a coupe price. I have the Bmw for roof down days when spring comes so i am not bothered about using the roof at this point. It's a automatic as I have a automatic driving licence and the automatic in this model is harder to find and in white and 44.000 miles so it's hard to walk away from it as normally roof problems when buying a convertible is a no no.

Hi!

I bought my roadster on New Year’s Eve last year from a heated indoor showroom where the roof worked no trouble, when I got it home the roof would go down fine and then back up but the final part of the sequence where the back part closes down onto the cover wouldn’t operate. Left for half an hour it would do. This went on until the weather warmed up around April and then it’s worked perfectly all summer. In the end I put it down to overheating a motor when the material was too stiff in the cold weather.

So in hindsight, in my case anyway, I think we should probably just do what Nissan told us to do in the first place and only use the roof above 11 degrees or whatever it is :headhurt:

Yeah I don't drop the bmw roof  untill at least 15 degs as for me its about topping the tan up between holidays and summer lol . I'd be the same with the Z but when u test drive a convertible it's one of the things you check instinctively because it's half the reason of buying the car. I'll wait to hear back from garage  hopefully tomorrow. Cheers.

Roof fully working it's been up for 3 months and some of the fabric was snagging stopping the roof cycle  finishing going down.  It's all being lubed up as well. The trader deals in high end Porsche ect and super cars so the car has been at a high end garage for the fix. I'll make sure I'll get his number for the future.

Roll on Thursday .

1 hour ago, coldel said:

It is on here somewhere but official operating temperature is something like 6 degrees and upwards and shouldnt be used in colder conditions. Not sure if thats the right number or not but its something like that.

Yeah some people are saying 12 degs but it won't be coming down till may when it's 15 plus : )

I thought it was 8 degrees? Either way, its actually listed in the owners manual if you have a read of it when you get the car. When I had my 350z Roadster id have the roof down 99% of the time anyway, even if it was 2 degrees. :)  I used to love finishing work on a cold winters night, stick the roof down and heaters on. You`d be cruising along in a bubble of hot air, with the dark winters sky & stars sparkling up above. Awesome stuff.

I only had it a couple of times when the roof would get stuck half way down. A quick tap with the palm of my hand used to solve it. The other problem I had was that the overhead support bar above your head. The metal which wraps around it started to peel back. Nissans answer was to rivet it back on.

I've had my roadster from new and the roof has always been a pain when not used for long periods but a little caress and cycling it through a few times seems to work for me.  Welcome to the world or is it woes of the beautiful roadster.