cheap 350Z wanted

Chesterfield

Looking to build a 350Z track toy and would like to start with a cheap 350.

Not bothered about colour, spec, mileage, imported or not, body damage etc.

As long as it is in good running condition.

If you dont want to see your car butchered, repainted and plastered in forum logos and possibly ditched in a gravel trap, dont sell it me. :lol:

£10k sounds nice - have been reading autotrader too.

If a bargain can be had from insurance write offs or stolen recovered then thats fine - although Im not too fussed about repairing serious items from the off. Body panels other than the rear wings that need replacing is fine, as Ill probably replace them with carbon or fibreglass anyway at some point. Windows with plastic etc etc.

Its cheaper to lose weight than add power is my theory :lol: Its a bit of fun.

Price is decent enough, but Id have to do something about the wheels and other bits. The front bumper is not exactly my taste but thats not a problem.

Need to source a car trailer and towbar for the car first I think, and Im away this weekend, so wouldnt be able to get to the chap for some time. There will be others if this is missed.

Ive been doing some thinking and really need to start at the beginning!

i.e. I need to get a towbar fitted to the Altea first. Then buy a car trailer (thinking of a box trailer so it can double as a 350z-uk.com burger van at shows :lol:)

Then I can look at the cars as I will be able to fetch one :lol:

Going for towbar fitting quotes tomorrow :)

Good idea, the reason i ask is that its not the best track car there is, however for the right reasons it is, if you know what i mean?

I wanted to get a track car ages ago, however i just didnt have the space or time to do it myself. However, going forward, ill just steal yours ;)

Im sure members will be quite able to have a play every now and then. ;)

First issue to overcome is that the Altea FR is type approved to tow, but only 1400kg.

Hmm.

With a box trailer coming in at anything up to 500kg, that leaves only 900kg.

a lighter open trailer at say 300kg would only leave 1100kg. Thats some serious diet requirements for a 350z.

Perhaps the first stage will be swapping the company hack for something with a little more towing ability. Although I do have access to a Kia Sorento with a towbar in oredr to fetch a car in the meanwhile if I buy the trailer.

Chris I know you want the zed but so many other options out there.

As you have just found out towing will be a challenge. The trailer will be quite large therefore you will need a big garage also. If petrol prices are going to effect you, then just watch you may get less than 20mph when towing. I get 18mph when towing a 525kg car on a 300kg trailer and nothing with 4 wheels will weight less. With you having to tow twice as much you will be in for a shock, will definitely need an oil burner and likely 4x4. With the road taxes you should look at a pre 2001 L/R or R/R

How close are the tracks you want to use.

The zed weight will always be a challenge for track work even if you strip lots out.

Book a day out with a caterham or atom and see the difference.

Yup the weight is an issue - Im stuck on doing it with a Z though, as its doing it in the 350 and as part of this club that makes it appealing for me.

Im sure that there are other cars that would give me probably more excitement on the track and less issues to work round, not least of which is the towing weight.

The Kia Sorento (aparently towing car of the year at some point or other) can tow up to 2.6 tons. The trailers Im looking at are in the region of 500kg, and the Z at say 1600kg will be fine.

The Sorento is an oil burner, still not great on fuel I imagine when towing that kind of weight, but not to worry - thats all part of having fun.

Ive never driven a track day before (other than a couple of laps round nurburgring but not at any pace), never attempted to turn a standard car into something which may be more fun on the track either. If I dont jump in at the deep end Ill never do it.

We are looking at other houses which will have ample garage space, but for the time being I either have a space at the side of my house, or at a relatives who doesnt drive anymore.

Its just something I have always wanted to do, so may as well stop thinking about it and just get on and do it. Whats the worst that can happen ?:lol::blush:

Brian James trailers are great but can be expensive.

I have Woodford as they do a really small one for the caterham and cannot even fit a elise on it.

Go 4 or 6 wheels with that weight, probably have to be at least 4 but you can get low load 6 wheels. Make sure it has a winch as you will not be pushing a zed on to it.

New rules mean you cannot have 20ltr petrol cans (storage issues) so do NOT buy them. Some petrol stations stop you filling them up. Most trailer have storage area but are based on 20ltr cans.

Strongly suggest you do not leave a trailer in a driveway. They get stolen to order as really easy to nick. A covered BJ trailer will be worth 3-4k on the open market.