How much for a minor exterior detail and any recommendations around Manchester?

Kev

I'm thinking of getting a mini detail done. Nothin major. The paint is in good condition but there are a few swirls here and there under bright sunlight.

Just basically needs going over with a mop and I'm thinking of having a coating applied. Nothing too expensive. I know it's not a new Porsche.

Any recommendations and how much should I expect to pay? Are the cheaper protective coatings worth bothering with?

Thanks

Edited by Kev

Just go to Halfords, get some finishing compound and a £25 random orbital wheel. You can't go wrong :D

Haha. I could imagine the burning smell and the mess if I did.

• Like 1

Your best bet, to save buying loads of stuff. Pop down to your local accident repair place and have a chat with them about you popping in to do it yourself or them doing it but you helping do all the masking up/brew making etc etc, did a few in my time £30 a pop plus any perks they wanted to leave (few beers etc)

All it needs is a little love with some 3M Finesse and a wax sealant. The time consuming part is the masking up.

Whereabouts in Manchester are you ?

Edited by Willsy1980
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 20 June 2017 at 06:54, Willsy1980 said:

Your best bet, to save buying loads of stuff. Pop down to your local accident repair place and have a chat with them about you popping in to do it yourself or them doing it but you helping do all the masking up/brew making etc etc, did a few in my time £30 a pop plus any perks they wanted to leave (few beers etc)

All it needs is a little love with some 3M Finesse and a wax sealant. The time consuming part is the masking up.

Whereabouts in Manchester are you ?

Sorry I'm missed your reply. I'm in tameside. 

The car came back from its mot test with a few light scratches that weren't there before, that are really annoying. 

No worries, was going to say I have a rotary polisher , pads and polish if you wanted me to pop over and lend it to you ? 

I have a very light cut g10 and some 3m ultrafina for light holograms/swirls wool mop and foam pad. Just let me know if you want it for a few hours :)

• Like 1

http://www.obsidiandetailing.com

I've seen Matt at work.

A true master and perfectionist.

Workshop is often a meeting place for Detailing World meets and tuition days.

He also offers opportunities for owners to work alongside to learn and help in the process.

Not sure of prices as I'm sure each car is unique in it's needs and owners expectations and would need to be viewed to be assessed.

Check out some of his work below!

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=392955

• Like 1

It's all well & good going out & spending £xx amount on products & doing it yourself. You need to have an idea on what level of correction or enhancement you need, then which products suit your needs. If the amount you're going to spend on products & equipment is more than what you'd spend on someone to do the job for you, then why not just let that person do it for you. On the other hand, if you're willing to spend to get the gear together yourself (costs vary greatly), then not only can you do the job yourself, you've still got the gear to do it next time, then on your mates car for mates rates etc.

I started out by buying a Kestrel DAS-6 9 years ago, I still have it & it works perfectly. Over the years I've bought various pads & polishes to do jobs on my own cars, neighbours cars, friends, family & customers cars. I don't do this as a full time job as it'd bore me to death, but kudos to those that do it daily. I do it occasionally, that way I find it interests me more & I take more care when doing the job. As recommended above, Obsidians work is superb, I've seen plenty of it on DW (although I find the whole site far too anal, it grinds my gears). I do have a full time job, but feel free to browse through my pics of other cars here: http://www.mrv6.co.uk/detailing/

I'm an amateur & do it as a hobby, when I can be bothered & have a spare full day with the right weather.

• Like 1

On 4 August 2017 at 23:26, Willsy1980 said:

No worries, was going to say I have a rotary polisher , pads and polish if you wanted me to pop over and lend it to you ? 

I have a very light cut g10 and some 3m ultrafina for light holograms/swirls wool mop and foam pad. Just let me know if you want it for a few hours :)

I appreciate the offer but I'm not brave enough. 

1 hour ago, mr v6 said:

It's all well & good going out & spending £xx amount on products & doing it yourself. You need to have an idea on what level of correction or enhancement you need, then which products suit your needs. If the amount you're going to spend on products & equipment is more than what you'd spend on someone to do the job for you, then why not just let that person do it for you. On the other hand, if you're willing to spend to get the gear together yourself (costs vary greatly), then not only can you do the job yourself, you've still got the gear to do it next time, then on your mates car for mates rates etc.

I started out by buying a Kestrel DAS-6 9 years ago, I still have it & it works perfectly. Over the years I've bought various pads & polishes to do jobs on my own cars, neighbours cars, friends, family & customers cars. I don't do this as a full time job as it'd bore me to death, but kudos to those that do it daily. I do it occasionally, that way I find it interests me more & I take more care when doing the job. As recommended above, Obsidians work is superb, I've seen plenty of it on DW (although I find the whole site far too anal, it grinds my gears). I do have a full time job, but feel free to browse through my pics of other cars here: http://www.mrv6.co.uk/detailing/

I'm an amateur & do it as a hobby, when I can be bothered & have a spare full day with the right weather.

Pics look really good mate. 

Ill get some pics of the light scratches up to see what you think. 

• Like 1