370z nismo cover

Boothy813

I thought we'd all agreed that they create more damage than they fix?

Cue the detailers of the forum!

I've had a fitted indoor one for my car since I've had it and it's not caused a single scratch. I only use it once the car has been cleaned

• 3 weeks later...

The large size outdoor car cover that Halfords do is actually pretty decent. I've been using them for about three years. I've replaced mine once but at £50 a time it's decent value.

Also using one of the Halfords Advanced covers with no problems.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having to look for similar options - Boothy813 what did you end up going for? How is it working for you? The car was ok on the drive during the sunny spell, but todays rain makes me think a cover is necessary!

Others - I've seen recommendations to properly "prepare" a car with cleaning and waxing to protect the bodywork - would this be sufficient to protect without the cover? What does a cover do over and above this? I heard most breathable covers let moisture in anyway so the car will need cleaning regardless?

Properly waxing/sealing is a must for me regardless of whether you use a cover, but a cover will provide additional protection. 

I had several years of parking on the street with no cover and several of parking with the cover.   You are correct that breathable covers (which are essential) let a small amount of moisture in, and  you will also inevitably get some blowing in under the cover if it is windy and rainy (the breathable cover allows this to evaporate).  But I still found it worthwhile because you're keeping the majority of the moisture off the car along with all the usual dust, bird poop etc.  I liked being able to wash the car after a drive one weekend, put the cover on and then a week later just be able to give it a quick wipe over with quick detailer rather than have to wash a week's worth of crap off.  

My top tips for anyone contemplating using a cover would be:

> A cover might not be suitable if your Z is a daily driver.

> Make sure the car is clean before the cover goes on. 

> Make sure the cover is securely fastened or on the first windy day you'll find it wrapped around the nearest tree

> Don't be put off by scare stories of scratches - you'll be fine as long as you make sure the car is clean before the cover goes on

> Don't be put off if you find it difficult to put the cover on to begin with - it gets easier with practice (if it's windy get someone to help)

> Think about whether you want/need an expensive cover.  I preferred having the relatively inexpensive Halfords one and replacing it every couple of years.                                    

We've recently moved to a place with a garage but I'll still be using a cover to keep the dust off the car while it's in there.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by sipar69

2 hours ago, parello9 said:

If you have a wrapped car do not use a car cover at all!

you can see why if your in coventry tomorrow at the meet 

Interested to see this Nino and definitely a car cover that has caused the damage??