iPhone dilemma

ATTAK Z

Bought an iPhone 7 to replace a 5S that I gave to my wife ... wife prefers a Nokia so I'm left with two phones ... I prefer the 5S because of its size more than anything ... so which to sell, why, and for how much?

Edited by ATTAK Z

5S will become outdated and need replacing in a couple of years, but they aren't worth much.

7 is overpriced and over sized.

Recommendation: Sell both and buy an SE*

Can't price check without a capacity.

*Assuming you want to remain on iOS.

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

5S will become outdated and need replacing in a couple of years, but they aren't worth much.

7 is overpriced and over sized.

Recommendation: Sell both and buy an SE*

Can't price check without a capacity.

*Assuming you want to remain on iOS.

I think the 5S is 16 and the 7 is 32

I'd sell them both and get a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge (or non edge depending on preference, but the edge is very pretty). Then get a Spigen slim armor case and you have the best phone and case combo available for the money (that's why I'm not mentioning the S8, which is also even bigger ;) ) today.

Edited by Aashenfox

Phones I find are suited to your digital environment - if you got a mac at home, apple tv etc then iPhone all the way.

I don't think size is an issue at all, I moved to a 7 Plus and actually now when someone passes me a 5 its just tiny and very fiddly to use effectively. I have found since switching to the larger screen I am using my laptop less as I move my digital interactions on to the mobile.

Ultimately though iOS and Android are pretty much on par with each other for what 90% of people use them for i.e. taking photos/videos, internet usage, calls, messaging, games and apps.

It's always the same with size, it's just what you get used to (fnar). Everyone was shocked when the 5 came out, then again with the 6 and 6 Plus, now that's just the norm.

I used to rip the p*ss over people who had monster sized phones, now I wouldn't be without my 6 Plus and anything else just feels too small to use as a device. I still look a twit when using it as a phone mind you :lol:

I'd love an S8, but I can't get on with Android at all. That's just me though, I can equally see why some don't like the stubborn way iOS does things either.

Yeh, well said Dan, you beat me to it, but I just want to echo that...

IPhone vs Android is dead simple. If you don't care about what your phone is doing and why, and just want it to work, get an iPhone. If you want control over how your phone works, a high er degree of customization, and naturally, a few more instances of unusual behaviour as a result of that more open system, get an Android.

But certainly, if you are already heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, then you need an iPhone. Worth mentioning Android is ecosystem independent as well, so that's an additional freedom.

I'm no fan of Apple but I understand its need for existence, it's the same reason someone buys a car like an Audi, it's not particularly exciting, but it does everything well and you don't need to think about it. Drivers buy more interesting cars, just as people who care about their technology tend to favour Android.

Edited by Aashenfox

I have both - an Android and iOS as a work and personal phone, my Android sits mostly uncharged in my work bag and a fair number of work colleagues use my iPhone number to get me - I just cannot get on with Android either. But each to their own as you say.

Yeh, well said Dan, you beat me to it, but I just want to echo that...

IPhone vs Android is much simpler than that. If you don't care about what your phone is doing and why, and just want it to work, get an iPhone. If you want control over how your phone works, a high er degree of customization, and naturally, a few more instances of unusual behaviour as a result of that more open system, get an Android.

But certainly, if you are already heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, then you need an iPhone. Worth mentioning Android is ecosystem independent as well, so that's an additional freedom.

I'm no fan of Apple but I understand it's need for existence, it's the same reason someone buys a car like an Audi, it's not particularly exciting, but it does everything well and you don't need to think about it. Drivers buy more interesting cars, just as people who care about their technology tend to favour Android.

I always hear this, so what am I missing out on by not putting more effort into using my Android phone?

Nothing life or death, but off the top of my head, the main reaons I won't buy another iPhone...The ability to add storage, the ability to use custom operating systems, a hugely increased level of customization (which you aren't going to care about if you like iOS anyway) of the standard OS, being able to ditch iTunes, having all your library of music, pictures, video, both purchased and self created, in a format that can be instantly used on any system. Standard charging hardware. Not needing to have Apple TV for livecasting to other devices in your house, generally, not needing other Apple applications or hardware that are in a closed ecosystem. Better integration with other devices of all kinds (Apple again requires its own ecosystem), though this is getting better as the years go by. Full integration of your mobile accounts with google, which is the defacto login these days.

I'm forgetting loads of stuff, and of course there are as many reasons to choose iPhone instead, but these are the ones that techy people like me will cite over and over again, because we want control. For those that just want a phone and don't want to bother with it, again, iPhone is definitely the way to go. iPhones are inherently more secure and stable, ,which is everything to some people. :)

Lastly, I think Apple is a despicable company and I don't like giving them money, they are tax dodgers and slave drivers deliberately perpetuating a closed ecosystem to trap consumers into buying their products alone.

Edited by Aashenfox

I'm no fan of Apple but I understand its need for existence, it's the same reason someone buys a car like an Audi, it's not particularly exciting, but it does everything well and you don't need to think about it. Drivers buy more interesting cars, just as people who care about their technology tend to favour Android.

Interesting thoughts. I'd say that I care about my technology, but I'm also sick to the back teeth of having to fiddle with stuff to get it to work: These days it should work perfectly from the get-go, and not require me to spend an age with it. I guess that's why although I dearly want the S8 as the specs look amazing, I'm more content to have an inferior device technically but something generally more reliable. So yeah, I'd say your statement is pretty true.

Thing with the iOS range is that it's now heading in a very different direction than it used to. Apple stuff was never the cutting edge technology wise but the design & quality of the hardware was always superior to everything, plus the software design aesthetic was incredibly cohesive and well sorted. Nowadays they're chasing the tech brigade to a point, and the OS is getting somewhat messy. It's a shame, but sadly it still fits my needs best so colour me white and make me baa and all that.

Nothing life or death, but off the top of my head, the main reaons I won't buy another iPhone...The ability to add storage, the ability to use custom operating systems, a hugely increased level of customization (which you aren't going to care about if you like iOS anyway) of the standard OS, being able to ditch iTunes, having all your library of music, pictures, video, both purchased and self created, in a format that can be instantly used on any system. Standard charging hardware. Not needing to have Apple TV for livecasting to other devices in your house, generally, not needing other Apple applications or hardware that are in a closed ecosystem. Better integration with other devices of all kinds (Apple again requires its own ecosystem), though this is getting better as the years go by. Full integration of your mobile accounts with google, which is the defacto login these days.

I'm forgetting loads of stuff, and of course there are as many reasons to choose iPhone instead, but these are the ones that techy people like me will cite over and over again, because we want control. For those that just want a phone and don't want to bother with it, again, iPhone is definitely the way to go. iPhones are inherently more secure and stable, ,which is everything to some people. :)

Lastly, I think Apple is a despicable company and I don't like giving them money, they are tax dodgers and slave drivers deliberately perpetuating a closed ecosystem to trap consumers into buying their products alone.

I think it is a techie thing, non of the reasons in that first paragraph except maybe the storage issue - i ran out of space on my 16gb 4s but since then just get 128gb and all is well. Otherwise none of that is relevant really for me. I think as you say, if you are a techie and love to customise and link things together to enhance your digital wellbeing by x% then Android all the way.

I completely understand and support your reasons Dan, as I get older and less patient (not saying this applies to you! Just saying), I don't like fiddling to get stuff to work either. Fortunately, with Android, the only stuff that requires fiddling is the stuff that you would only do if you were already a fiddler, such as changing the whole ROM (operating system) to a customized one, or installing some black hat stuff if you're into that kind of thing.

Oh, and another thing about Android, you can install any app, without anyone's approval. On Apple devices you can only install what Apple approves. This is the complete deal-breaker for a LOT of people.

I love my S7 edge but I increasingly find I cant be without my phone (mainly internet banking).

I now have a cracked screen, would love to get it fixed but put off by being without my phone and not being able to make payments/look at banking.

1st world problems eh?

Edited by Flex

I think it is a techie thing, non of the reasons in that first paragraph except maybe the storage issue - i ran out of space on my 16gb 4s but since then just get 128gb and all is well. Otherwise none of that is relevant really for me. I think as you say, if you are a techie and love to customise and link things together to enhance your digital wellbeing by x% then Android all the way.

That would be fine if memory prices were logical, but they aren't. The memory itself to go from 16 to 128GB would cost about 50 quid (it's a special kind of memory that's on board, it's not like the SD cards), yet they charge HUNDREDS of dollars more for the high storage versions, for exactly this reason, they KNOW they don't give you expandable storage, they know that you have no choice but to upgrade phone when you run out, it's a trap.

Also, I think every one of my reasons is as valid as the next int he original paragraph, if you want to tell me that only the storage thing is important, you're going to have to do a hell of a job selling me why I need iTunes in my life restricting my access to things I paid for!!

But also, the reason I forgot and stated above. Apple approved software. It;s a big deal.

I love my S7 edge but I increasingly find I cant be without my phone (mainly internet banking).

I now have a cracked screen, would love to get it fixed but put off by being without my phone and not being able to make payments/look at banking.

1st world problems eh?

Personally, I don't do banking on a mobile device, but this is 100% a very good reason for using the Apple device, they are more secure, no question.

Oh, and another thing about Android, you can install any app, without anyone's approval. On Apple devices you can only install what Apple approves. This is the complete deal-breaker for a LOT of people.

Which is both the biggest failure and biggest strength of Android. For me personally, I feel the Apple system is a far better way of doing it, and certainly they're more open to letting various different kinds of software on their devices these days. Not perfect, but better.

It does open you up to massively increased risk, for sure. But I can't say Apple's way is better. I can develop a simple app that identifies the locations of traffic cameras in your immediate area, for example, I can compile it on my own PC and send it to you as an app you can install, no involvement from anyone else whatsoever, the app can have 'questionable' legailty, but nobody can stop you. For example, there are several apps that illegally stream sports events. As someone living in Greece, if I want to see a sports event (or even a home made highlights vid), there is no other way I could see these events but via potentially dodgy apps, and yes, of course these apps also install whoknowswhat other mailicious bits of code, it goes with the territory and once again comes down to choice.

Just a couple of minor examples, but you're right, for most, it is just increased risk. For me, I just don't want someone else dictating what risks I can and can't take with my own device.

Edited by Aashenfox

I can see if you are installing random apps why you would avoid banking on your phone - I do bank on my phone I rarely do it on my laptop anymore. I can't say I have met anyone though who has an Android phone who showed me an app and left me without a viable alternative on the Apple store. I think you probably sit in a group of about 10% of users of mobile who are much higher end than the rest of us - there was a survey last year which checked in on general population usage of mobile, and something like 80% of people used less than 20% of the capability of a mobile (the old 80/20 rule once again).

I agree on both points, that I personally am in a low percentage (which is why I'm here, educating anyone who wants to listen) and also that people aren't aware what they can do with their phones. I often joke that we all now hold in our hands, the entire collected knowledge of the human race, and what do we mostly use it for? Playing angry birds while taking a dump. #stateofmodernlife

Something to think about, if Apple came out with the iPhone now, as a new company, it would be laughed off the internet. An entirely proprietary device that only works synergistically with other products by the same firm? You must be joking! But, now people are invested in it, Apple's got you by the short and curlies, just what Steve Jobs always wanted. He envisioned a monopoly, the open source guys behind Android envisioned an open standard that anyone who wanted to could contribute to and would work with 'everything', ENTIRELY different ethos(es?).

Edited by Aashenfox

Hate Android UI and can never work out where anything is or how to do stuff, plus there seems to be a lot more compatibility issues.

iOS UI used to be amazing, but they keep making it worse. Plus the crackdown on jailbreaking has ruined iOS.

Jailbroken iOS is (or was) the best because you get all the customisation and additional features.