When racing is pain...

Aashenfox

You get given a Super GT Ferrari 488, you love it, you do well in practice, then some **** in a bentley causes a huge pile up before the first corner and that's that, car destroyed. Said Bentley gets a 15s stop-go penalty after destroying 10m quids worth of cars, and doesn't even serve it in time, getting hiself disqualified from the race. What a nob. Hey at least his car was totally undamaged. To be fair, the Bentley driver denies responsibility, he was disqualified due to marshall screw ups that caused him to be UNABLE to serve his penalty, and generally this race was a total debacle. There are also apparently some datalogs that prove that the Bentley was hit first, but still... :)

http://gtspirit.com/2017/05/03/202425/

Edited by Aashenfox

marginal that the Bentley was at fault if you ask me - slightest touch at the rear while the car is accelerating is gonna make him swerve to the left - and the Bentley was in front when the contact happened. Very lucky the Bentley didn't also go head on into the barrier. I'd actually say its a racing incident, harsh that the Bentley was eventually disqualified for that IMO.

And what happens after is just racing. its a very expensive game, don't start a race unless you're prepared to write off your car before the first corner!

the blancpain series is always fun, there was a guy a while back in a lime green Ferrari 458 that basically went off the track at every turn as they had no idea how to drive the car!

• Like 1

The 15s stop n go was a very light penalty for the incident (based on the assumption that they did indeed feel that the Bentley driver was responsible, which clearly they did, rightly or wrongly), he got disqualified for failing to serve that, but then, his failure to stop was due to marshal screw ups. So yeh, harsh all round really. :lol:

Would say the Bentley is at fault any more than the lambo if im honest

in fact if you watch the higher view before the bentley goes to pull up the inside and the lambo tries to pull across,

looks like the bentley got through but the lambo was still trying to shut the door on a car which had already past

Edited by StevoD

omg. I genuinely believe my GTR Evolution experience has prepared me better than that guy. Do you know his story? Is he a driver? Or a butcher or a baker or something? :lol:

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

indeed, 45 year old Russian businessman, thought rather than do trackdays, he'd buy a Ferrari 458 and race at Monza, which I guess is fair enough... apparently he'd done a few other races, but yeah, gentleman driver - and not a good one at that. clearly needed a lot more practice laps to get to grips with both car and circuit.

indeed, 45 year old Russian businessman, thought rather than do trackdays, he'd buy a Ferrari 458 and race at Monza, which I guess is fair enough... apparently he'd done a few other races, but yeah, gentleman driver - and not a good one at that. clearly needed a lot more practice laps to get to grips with both car and circuit.

:lol: At least he didn't take anyone out. How would it work in a case where someone clearly unqualified to drive at the event causes huge economical damage to one or more teams? On the one hand you've got the old, 'it's a racetrack, don't go if you can't afford to be wiped out by someone else', but on the other hand, you've got to blame the driver himself for not preparing well enough, and/or the race organisers for letting an amateur on the track.

So, what do you guys who race reckon? If he had taken out a team car, let's say, what do you think would have happened? Driver sued? Organisers sued? And what outcome?

If just material damage then nothing, you race at your own risk always. However, if the driver/team is seen to be carrying out dangerous activities, then the regs for the series will almost certainly allow for financial penalties.

Not sure on Italian law, but on the basis that all EU law is broadly the same then if someone had been injured/died due to negligence then there would be both criminal and civil liability. That's the case in the UK definitely, and like I say I'm just surmising it would be the same across the EU.