Didn't expect a flywheel to make that much difference - SMF on a Commuter

Rook

Just wanted to share my experience as, for all my searching, I couldn't find someone with the same situation as me commenting on the viability of a lighter single mass fly.

I commute between 200 and 400 miles a week, about 60/40 motorways and town driving. Regularly stuck in traffic, but also regularly get the chance to us the Z for its intended purpose.

ZMANALEX recently hooked me up with a new clutch as mine was slipping, and I decided to go OEM clutch (with updated throwout, great shout), and lightened single mass flywheel.

I was worried this was gunna make sitting in traffic a real pain, not least for the clutch itself but also the famous 'chattering'.

I've had the kit fitted 3 days now and done about 200 miles on it so far, and I just feel the need to say holy s**t! The car feels so much more alert in lower gears, and in particular the pickup in first is so much better. The car feels so much more like it wants to go. It might just be a placebo (though I had minimal expectations) but it just feels quicker.

The downsides I was worrying about haven't been a problem for me either. Pulling away smoothly's very easy, and the chattering... I'm not gunna pretend it isn't there, but it's quiet. It's only really noticeable if you 'lug' the engine at low revs, and you shouldn't really do that anyway. All in all it makes less noise than my cruddy old throwout bearing made, and the noise doesn't sound so much like my car's broken.

So I just wanted to share my experience, unless you're very sensitive about noise I'd say don't be put off by chattering, the benefit to the feel of the car is blatant, and I'd suggest anyone looking to make their car feel a little lighter off the line just go for it.

I also wanted to throw a public *thanks* Alex's way, great recommendation and great kit, thanks a lot :)

Flywheel is a 6.9kg, I believe.

• Like 4

Couldn't agree more!

When my engine was being swapped out the clutch and light weight fly wheel were done at the same time.

The noise and chatter than some folks complained about was nowhere near as bad as I expected. Then the pick up in the lower gears was just incredible :)

• Like 1

most interesting as mine is a daily and i put a lot of miles on her.

do you need higher revs to pull away?

is it easy to go from stop to crawling in stop start traffic?

is she more prone to stalling?

edit: oh, one more thing, is it easy to pull away smoothly, driving miss daisy style?

Edited by HiddenWomble

most interesting as mine is a daily and i put a lot of miles on her.

do you need higher revs to pull away? No

is it easy to go from stop to crawling in stop start traffic? Yes

is she more prone to stalling? No

edit: oh, one more thing, is it easy to pull away smoothly, driving miss daisy style? Yes

do you need higher revs to pull away? Tiny bit, but it feels no different because the revs pick up quicker anyway.

is it easy to go from stop to crawling in stop start traffic? Very

is she more prone to stalling? Not at all

edit: oh, one more thing, is it easy to pull away smoothly, driving miss daisy style? Very, but this is when it's most prone to make a noise. If you do a lot of this you'll hear the 'chattering' a lot. As I say, I find it really quite acceptable.

While the 350Z is not a refined car, there are those who value the refinement there is, those who like a smooth quiet car. If you are that person, a lightweight single mass flywheel is not for you. If however, you enjoy driving the car and can see past a few extra noises, it is an extremely worthwhile investment.

It wakes the car up, makes it feel about 100kg lighter (which is pretty much what the scientific effect is of shedding nearly 10kg from the flywheel) and rev up and down more quickly (engine braking is more effective). You will hear chatter when crawling next to walls, a slight ticking or jingling, and if you shift lazily (i.e. try to accelerate in third or higher from 2000rpm or lower or otherwise put the clutch under heavy low rpm load) you'll hear a grinding, metallic noise. Again perfectly normal, and despite not sounding too great, does no harm, think of it as a reminder you're in the wrong gear, cos that is what it means. Both of these noises are the same thing; 'flywheel chatter' caused by the reduced play in the drivetrain after changing out the dual mass fly for a single. ;)

There is no other disadvantage to this procedure, hill-climbing is unaffected, to put the gran turismo myth to bed once again, and neither is any other aspect of daily driving the car. HTH :)

N.B. Having said that I find myself thinking that you do have to be a little more precise with the clutch, I wouldn't have mentioned this, because I figure most people who would want to do this mod in the first place are at least decent with the clutch, but yeh, it's true, you need to be more precise and smoother with the clutch or you get a jerkier ride, naturally, that's kind of a given cos you've taken a lot of the momentum out of the drivetrain.

Edited by Aashenfox

While the 350Z is not a refined car, there are those who value the refinement there is, those who like a smooth quiet car. If you are that person, a lightweight single mass flywheel is not for you. If however, you enjoy driving the car and can see past a few extra noises, it is an extremely worthwhile investment.

It wakes the car up, makes it feel about 100kg lighter (which is pretty much what the scientific effect is of shedding nearly 10kg from the flywheel) and rev up and down more quickly (engine braking is more effective). You will hear chatter when crawling next to walls, a slight ticking or jingling, and if you shift lazily (i.e. try to accelerate in third or higher from 2000rpm or lower or otherwise put the clutch under heavy low rpm load) you'll hear a grinding, metallic noise. Again perfectly normal, and despite not sounding too great, does no harm, think of it as a reminder you're in the wrong gear, cos that is what it means. Both of these noises are the same thing; 'flywheel chatter' caused by the reduced play in the drivetrain after changing out the dual mass fly for a single. ;)

There is no other disadvantage to this procedure, hill-climbing is unaffected, to put the gran turismo myth to bed once again, and neither is any other aspect of daily driving the car. HTH :)

N.B. Having said that I find myself thinking that you do have to be a little more precise with the clutch, I wouldn't have mentioned this, because I figure most people who would want to do this mod in the first place are at least decent with the clutch, but yeh, it's true, you need to be more precise and smoother with the clutch or you get a jerkier ride, naturally, that's kind of a given cos you've taken a lot of the momentum out of the drivetrain.

Whats the gran turismo myth?

I think my car would benefit from this mod - just cant afford it atm, will defo do it though come clutch change time.

Whats the gran turismo myth?

I think my car would benefit from this mod - just cant afford it atm, will defo do it though come clutch change time.

Whenever you looked at the description of the 'lightweight flywheel' upgrade in gran turismo original, 2 and 3, it stated that the car would gain better throttle response but that hill climbing effort woud be negatively affected. Sure enough, there is a slight difference, but it's not extreme, but it led to a generation (myself included) believing that fitting a ightweight flywheel would suddenly make the car torqueless. Very funny in retrospect, but there ya go! It's total bollocks, naturally. :)

• Like 1

To be fair, if you did have a 17kg DMF on your mountain bike and you approached the hill at a speed of 40 mph, you probably wouldn't have to pedal much to get to the top. Same effect in the car. ;)

Edited by Aashenfox

thanks for the answers all :)

as a daily i do need to be able to drive her gently (don't like throwing my passengers about) so any mod i do to make her more fun to drive also has to be balanced with still being able to chauffeur people about

this post is very interesting as it's not a mod i thought would suit my needs, but the thought of her feeling more agile while still being smooth to drive is most tempting :)