Weekend car - thoughts?

brillomaster

So, I've been zedless for a little while now, and while the 330d is great for the daily commute and long distance touring, I'm beginning to miss the excitement of noise and revs, so thinking of getting a second car for weekends.

criteria are mainly under £10k, likely 2 seats, likely a convertible. must also sound good, and make decent power.

The shortlist as I see it are:

Porsche Boxster S (sounds glorious, plenty within budget, I've never owned a Porsche)

BMW Z4 3.0 (sounds good, but heard questionable things about ride comfort and also it'll be quite similar to the other bmws I've had)

Honda S2000 (perfect opposite to the 330d - so many revs! but 4 cylinder, and prices are creeping up)

350z convertible (I do miss the zed, but I fancy something else)

am I missing anything? an mx5 is out as a) I've had one before and b ) they're too slow and don't sound great. An SLK is too old man. and I suspect an Elise/VX220 will be too Spartan, and not sound that great. it needs to be something the missus wouldn't mind sitting in.

Am I missing anything? what would you buy given my situation?

Actually that thread was more S2K-specific, and barely touched on the others. Still, it's here if you fancy a read.

I still say an Elise is something everyone has to own once. You could run it for a year then sell it for what you paid for it, and a man of your helmsmanship will definitely appreciate the delicacies of the chassis.

Edited by Ekona

well, I think the Porsche I was thinking of would be a 986 boxster S of around 2000 vintage - which I read has far fewer problems - as long as I check the servicing is up to date. Something like this looks great value and fastidiously serviced.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704194552905?postcode=cv339re&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&make=PORSCHE&model=BOXSTER&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&maximum-mileage=70000&radius=1500&minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&page=1

unfortunately elises are probably out my price range! surely boxster S prices can only go up, much like elises, TVRs and S2000s have all done? Kinda wish I'd have bought a chimaera a few years ago when they were £7k, now they're starting from £13k!

Edited by brillomaster

S2000 is a great car to drive.

Z4 - not had one, only taken one for a test drive Decided it was a bit sole less. Was a few years back.

Surely the Evora not the Elise ?!! Don't know prices though.

What about the S200 another great car to drive ..... although not the most easy to get it into.

well, I think the Porsche I was thinking of would be a 986 boxster S of around 2000 vintage - which I read has far fewer problems - as long as I check the servicing is up to date. Something like this looks great value and fastidiously serviced.

http://www.autotrade...size=3.0&page=1

unfortunately elises are probably out my price range! surely boxster S prices can only go up, much like elises, TVRs and S2000s have all done? Kinda wish I'd have bought a chimaera a few years ago when they were £7k, now they're starting from £13k!

Wow. I remember when early boxster S`s were down to £1500 so they definitely seem to have gone up in price a bit. Certainly loads of different cars to choose from out there, I think if I was looking for a weekend car, my biggest problem would be the insurance as id have zero NCB to use on it which might affect which car I bought.

well, I think the Porsche I was thinking of would be a 986 boxster S of around 2000 vintage - which I read has far fewer problems - as long as I check the servicing is up to date.

Not really, the M96 engine is the same design as the M97, so you still have bore scoring on the larger capacity 3.2L compared with the 2.5L or 2.7L, and you still have the IMS issue. IMS not a lot you can do really apart from buy a car having done 80k or more as generally if the bearing is going to go then it goes before then. Bore scoring is just a simple boroscope check, so easy done but definitely don't buy one without it.

So you really want a high mileage 2.7L car for maximum security against problems, but a high mileage 3.2L is just as fine as long as you've had it checked out :) Aside from that, there's precious little to go wrong and it's the finest sports car of it's class.

S2000's are beginning to show signs of horrendous rust yet again on the rear arches. Dont get me wrong a very fun car but bodywork is beginning to let them down, as with all Hondas when they reach a certain age. Would still get my vote though if you're prepared to fix it

Trouble with the S2K is that he already has two front engined RWD cars: Great if that's all you like, but the drives are a bit samey. That's why I'd go for the Boxster or Elise/VX, get something MR and enjoy a different experience. :)

Defiantly s2000 no other choice...

they're appreciating, so youl definatly get your money back... there reliable, so youl never need to fix it... look stunning roof down... ecoish, if you stay out of vtech... and an absolute dream to drive through the twistes... uncommon, hardly ever see one on the road.

When I had one I would literally get 2 or 3 comments a week off random people when I pulled up at petrol stations and stuff.

I had one last year for a year then sold it for £500 less than i paid for it after putting 15k miles on it (was at 117k when I sold it), the only reason I sold it was because it was my daily and I wanted abit more room, and a v6, so i got the zed. If its just your weekend car though its perfect.

It's one of the only cars I've owned where after selling it i was propper propper gutted, and still am, but i know one thing for sure.... I'm definatly buying another one in a yearish for a weekend car like yourself.

Other than that I'd go boxster, but only because its a Porsche, but one of the uglier ones in my opinion (the rear just doesn't look right), the s2000 is just as fast and more reliable.

You could say its midish sort of engined because IT IS behind the front axle, so "technically" it is mid engined, with a perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

(I am kind of biased though... can you tell I like them?? lol)

Also... famous for almost 10 years for most bhp per litre of n/a engine displacement... and only just beaton by the rarri 458. That's some accomplishment isn't it?

Chassis of the s2k isn't a patch on the 986. It has a depth of feel to the steering that the Honda could never match. No slight to the Stook, it's a brilliant car and still very much on my list, it's just the Boxster was (still is) the best car of its generation.

S2k is better looking though, no arguments here.