Radiator fan air flow - which direction?

cob1980

My OEM fans have died so I just installed a Mishimoto fan shroud. Fired it up, fans are working but they are sucking air through the rad towards the engine, is that right?? I thought the OEM ones pushed air through the rad away from the engine?

I don't have a 350 to check for you, however it is normal for the air to be "pulled" through the rad when the fans are monted on the engine side (they push when mounted on the other side) if the fans were to push air out of the engine bay then you would have 2 problems 1. you would be blowing hot engine compartment air over the rad and 2. they would be fighting normal airflow, when driving the air is forced over the rad from the outside if the car got hot the fans would be fighting the natural air flow. In short sucking air in is correct :)

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

There was a thread on this not long ago. Pretty sure they are supposed to pull (the cooled) air from the rad towards the (hot) engine.

Otherwise you are sucking all that hot engine air and trying to use it to cool the rad :shrug:

Thanks chaps. Must admit I am a bit baffled by it as when I refurbished the OEM ones the air flow appeared to be being pushed through the rad and I thought at the time that it was not logical being the opposite flow to the air when driving.

Can't say I'm that pleased with the Mishimotos being single speed, they are a bit too noisy.

Can't say I'm that pleased with the Mishimotos being single speed, they are a bit too noisy.

I did warn that might be the case.

I'm fairly sure there was a thread discussing the single speed issues and newer versions were supposed to be 2 speed, but the wiring required modding.

Couldn't find the thread I remember, but this one suggest they should be 2 speed.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/91876-mishimoto-fan-help/

Edited by Randy_Baton

I did warn that might be the case.

I'm fairly sure there was a thread discussing the single speed issues and newer versions were supposed to be 2 speed, but the wiring required modding.

I know and grateful for the warning but I had little choice as the refurb was not 100% successful, and new OEM is just ridiculous price. There's just 2 wires from each motor so I'm guessing the only way to have 2 speeds is to put a suitable resister before the wires are joined together.

Edited my previous message, so you might have missed the link to an old thread, its not the one I remember but suggests they should be 2 speed.

Thanks, that's the old version but I don't think that gives dual speed, I don't think it would be any different to how it is wired now.

Just found this, wonder if it's the same motors...

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=322063134079&alt=web

Edited by cob1980

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread.. but does anyone know the answer?? 

My spare set of 350z OEM fans appear, when out of the car being tested, to push air towards the radiator, rather than pull air from it. 

The mishimoto shroud i have appears to do the opposite - which is what id expect them to do given the car direction of travel... 

EDIT: 

ignore me. Having tested this time around they both pull air from the rad into the engine bay, so that’s as it should be!

no idea why my previous test was different though - must be going mad. 

any ideas? Thanks  

Edited by EzeePzee

3 minutes ago, EzeePzee said:

Sorry for bumping an old thread.. but does anyone know the answer?? 

My spare set of 350z OEM fans appear, when out of the car being tested, to push air towards the radiator, rather than pull air from it. 

The mishimoto shroud i have appears to do the opposite - which is what id expect them to do given the car direction of travel... 

any ideas? Thanks  

:pmzmanalex:

4 hours ago, ShortPaul said:

Sorry bud in hospital at the mo must be the meds I am on missed your edit:bangin::sly:

At least you have not lost your sense of humour, get well soon mate.

The definitive answer to the original question is that the 350Z pulls air from the front and through the radiator.

And that’s exactly what I thought and would have expected. I wouldn’t have dragged this old thread up if it wasn’t for some random brain fart moment when I tested mine and thought they were going the wrong way, haha! But then google did provide me with a link to this very thread so I’m not the only one that has that problem. 

On a side note, I didn’t notice that the OEM fans are 4 and 5 blade versions - thought they were both the same! Plenty of google and looking back through photos showed me the correct side for each though. 

Comparing noise side by side with the Mishimotos - I cant tell that either is much louder. They sound different, but not necessarily louder. Of course, as a fair test it’s was both fans running at their full speed as opposed to OEM half speed - given the Mishimotos are only single speed. 

2 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

At least you have not lost your sense of humour, get well soon mate.

The definitive answer to the original question is that the 350Z pulls air from the front and through the radiator.

Cheers Alex just about holding on to my sence of humour at the moment, finding it hard :(