"Soft" Rays Alloys on 2017 Nismo

Nexus Icon

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone else with the 19" Rays on their Nismo has found them to be incredibly soft and susceptible to damage? Mine are fewer than 300 miles old yet there are a couple of deep(ish) scars on the wheel-rim. They're obviously not from kerbing the wheel, rather from being hit by stones or other road detritus.

IMO, they're not really fit for purpose if they can't withstand normal wear and tear - although all of the damage is confined to a single wheel, which is making me even more suspicious.

I'll try taking it up with the dealership but I'm thinking about having them all clear powdercoated, in order to toughen them up a bit.

Any comments?

Damn, I hadn't even spotted that! I was too busy weeping over the nick in the alloy. I've just been out and looked and, yeah, there is a small chunk out of the rubber. In itself it's tiny and it's on the heavy section that is designed to give an element of protection to the wheel itself, so it's not going to be a safety issue but it definitely changes things.

Anything I've picked up on the road that's sharp enough to take a chunk out of the rubber like that would definitely mark the rim. I guess the dealer is off the hook and I'm looking at a repair.

Well done for seeing that and saving me the embarrassment of fronting up to the dealer!

No probs and glad to of help :) Reckon it's a good excuse to get all 4 colour changed/refurbished! :lol:

Looks like that section you require refinishing is diamond cut...gonna cost :dry:

Been quoted £85 for diamond cut and clear powder coat on the one wheel, £300 if I have all 4 coated in any colour. The other 3 are mint though so I'm not sure about the colour change just yet.

That's through Oxmanor alloys, if anyone has heard anything about them.

• 2 months later...

I'm having issues with mine now too. My front left alloy is scratched, but ONLY on the diamond cut part. Noticed it when washing earlier. Like proper scratches. Only on one part though, which is odd cause I wash my wheels outside then in, so surely there would be more damage? I'll grab a pic in the morning but it's annoying me. Might have to plastidip them black hahaha.

Bloody hate diamond cut wheels.