Fuel Cap Door Stuck on my 350Z

Sunnyz

Hello all

Wondering if anyone has had this issue. Lately when I push the fuel release button it does not open the fuel cap door. I hear a clicking noise near the dash, but do not hear any noises coming from the fuel cap actuator motor. Its really frustraing at times and i normally have to pry it open with a credit car or something.

Once opened i have used WD40 around the area hoping this would fix the issue, but comes back a week or two later. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Sunny

• Like 1

I also had a fuel cap problem on mine when I bought it. I thought it was the actuator because when I pressed the button I wasn't hearing the click. So I bought an actuator, and was in the proces of replacing it (ripped out all the rear plastics and carpets, had the fuel cap OPEN (important note!)), I had my mate press the button, and sure enough the actuator was working strongly. Turns out the flat spring that 'pops' the cap up was simply very very weak on mine and someone had tried bending the little body pieces (little flaps attached to the body of the car that the rubber grommets in the cap rest on when closed) to try to force it out more, but all they had achieved with this, was to stop the actuator working, so tight was the catch against the actuator pin. I ended up changing the fuel cap for one from a newer car with naturally a newer spring. All is now good.

Edited by Aashenfox

I've started to have this as well. I find if i just rapidly click it a few times it opens. I hear a click every time i press it but not sure if its the switch or the actuator. (I've got mono hearing, I cant tell sound direction)

The switch is silent, any clicking you hear is coming from the rear, and means the actuator is working. Sounds like your actuator is weakening.