370Z - Cobra Exhaust Question

Ponsonby

I promised myself a new exhaust after I had owned the Z for 12 months and time is nearly up : )

The resonated Cobra is currently my first choice.

I want something that really enhances the sound of the car but not 'too' loud and not raspy or tinny.

From reading the forum, Cobra owners really seem pleased with their choice but no mention if they have the full system (including Y pipe) or half system (Y pipe back).

Has anyone heard the Cobra with and without the Y pipe and how much difference does it make to the sound?

Anyone with just the half system? Did it improve the sound considerably or did you regret not going for the full system.

Thanks.

The Cobra system is decent quality and gives a good sound for the money but is loud on revs! The Y-pipe wont make a huge difference to how loud it is, have you heard one on a car at a meet yet?

I can live with loud on revs.

So long as I am not annoying the neighbours when I start up and leave at 6am..

• Like 1

I put a resonated unit on about 18 months ago. It was cat backwards. The cats are original but I swapped the Y pipe for a later, upgraded style from one of the members on the forum, it's a standard part but it has probably made a slight difference.

It sounds really good, not raucous but crisp. It resonates more at motorway speeds, not too bad, but I wouldn't want the non resonated one, this is a good compromise.

Very pleased with Cobra.

I ran the cobra y pipe and cat back on my 350 and had the center resonator pipe replaced with the non res version. My resonated one cracked but cobra were happy to replace it free of charge with a non res one. Tad droney on the motorway but who cares 😆

Edited by AW350z

I have cobra catback and its not too noisy ( slightly lively when start for work at 6am) but on the whole comes alive when gunned and settles down on motorway or sensible driving .

Loving it though :teeth:

I have been in touch with Cobra and they only do one option for the 370Z. It does not have resonated mid silencers but is 'compensated' for in the rear box, apparently.

Also don't seem to have a choice of tail pipes but the one they use is what I want anyway so no problem there.

Have ordered the system and hoping delivery will not be too long and then will report back .....

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi Fergie,I have had my Cobra on for about a month now (standard Y pipe) and it sounds great . I leave for work at 6.15 am and my neighbour who is also a friend has not mentioned anything re noise, he would if it was an issue.It has a deep throaty sound on start up but mellows a bit after 2 minutes or so. What I do love about it is with the synchro rev on you can actually hear the synco working where as with the standard exhaust I could never hear it.The other thing it does is give the odd pop n crackle it sounds amazing. I think you’ve made a good choice.

On 27/03/2017 at 15:17, Ponsonby said:

I have been in touch with Cobra and they only do one option for the 370Z. It does not have resonated mid silencers but is 'compensated' for in the rear box, apparently.

Also don't seem to have a choice of tail pipes but the one they use is what I want anyway so no problem there.

Have ordered the system and hoping delivery will not be too long and then will report back .....

You shouldn't look past the invidia gemini it's the perfect blend of noise and quality 

Cobra is good I've had both but invidia is a better built I think

18 hours ago, fergie1471 said:

That will be the one. But have a word with the traders on here, they may be able to get you a better deal.