Steering wheel - airbag anti tamper bolt nightmare

jamiebridge

So today i wrapped some spare steering wheel control covers.

Got ready to install them, by removing the steering wheel and cant get the right anti tamper bolt out that holds the airbag in place. The thing just instantly sheered off (i am using the correct tool, t30 with anti tamper head).

Has anyone experinced this? The left side came off fine. I have even tried to drill out the right side, but the metal seems to be so hardended it just wont go all the way through!

Any ideas? Pic attached, you can see how far through i got with the drill (and also chewed some of the plastic surround in the process, which thankfully you cant see once the clip cover is back on).

Any help much apprechiated.

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5169.jpg

Nissan are very generous with the loctite when fitting these bolts, you need a lot of torque to remove them and they are meant to be one use only but i reused mine ok

Best bet is getting some decent drill bits as its likely stainless steel and you will ruin quite a few before that gives up

I had the same problem. Ended up using a 5mm metal drill bit and drill through until the top of the bolt separated. Once the wheel was off I could use pliers to turn what was left out of the hole :)

Thanks for all the replies, I am going to give it a go with a 5mm like said above.

Once these are out I will replace them with normal allen bolts, these t30 anti-tamper things are an unnecessary nightmare

• 3 weeks later...