Trackday at Bedford Autodrome, 14th April

Me and Wendy are booked on to a trackday at Bedford Autodrome on 14th April if anyone fancies coming along? Its Good friday, so its a free day off for most people... Perfect opportunity to dust off the old track car after the winter and hone some driving skills.

We're there in my trusty £650 bmw 328i, but we reckon we'd have no problem keeping up with a zed!

cost is £199 for the day which is reasonable, its the full GT circuit so plenty of room to play and space for loads of cars on track should mean no queueing.

full details here, with Javelin trackdays:

http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trackdays/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=272

• Like 1

The track beemer has just had new rear brake pads fitted, and a few bulbs replaced, so she's MOT ready! booked in for Monday, hopefully since the garage knows the car it'll pass without too many problems.

Any more thinking about Bedford? good central location, decent long track suitable for novices and more experienced drivers alike. at the very least its a chance to stretch your cars legs, a zed should hit 120 or so on the long back straight :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

So, the silver surfer has passed its MOT! only needed a large hole in the floor welding up... but more importantly we're good to go for another year, though i've never had a track car make it to its second MOT, so dont hold your breath.

Any more takers for Bedford on the 14th April? spring has definitely sprung, clocks change this weekend so there will be plenty of daylight for a full day of fast lapping.

Dan, get the bummer involved, i'd love to see how the two cars compare - one with lots of power but lots more weight, the other with decent brakes and decent tyres, should be interesting!

I've just booked on to this, I'll look out for a silver BMW flying past me haha.

I don't know about flying past... you'll definitely have the edge on the straights, but i'd be hoping to make it back in the corners!

Will post a pic of the car sometime soon, but yeah, ratty silver 328i saloon with a few decals is what you're looking out for!

Dan, that's a shame but makes sense, will keep the forum posted on the next date, which will likely be in july sometime.

• 3 weeks later...

whoop trackday tomorrow! car is prepped and ready to go, gonna see how I get on with the front brake pads that are in there, but if they start squealing I have fresh ones I can fit at the track if needs be.

look to be a lot of cars signed on, but Bedford is a big place, with a lower than usual chance of red flags, so should get some good running in :)

Might take me a week to recover from the neck strain, the bruises from the harness and arm muscle ache !!!!!!!!!!!

But what an excellent day at Thurleigh yesterday with Brillo. Despite the stupid hour I had to depart from home !!

Nice dry day, we managed to bag a Pit garage and what a friendly crowd around us. Really adds to the day.

Nice to meet Rich too in his 350z. Can't tell you how much if bugged me when you overtook, but I was on m Out Lap so could do little about it . Grgh !!

Over 90 cars and boy as there some nice machinery. So many Porsches, 3 GT3's, a GT4, Radicals, Atoms, Ginetta's, plus Caterhams and Westfields and a range of other stuff.

I chatted to a Disabled chap who drove his GT4 all with hand signals My Step Dad would have loved to have been able to do this. Sadly his accident was some 40 od years ago and life was nothing like now for a disabled person.

A long circuit over 4 miles, so took some time to become knowledgeable - of sorts !!

No trees or reference points do make it harder. Thank goodness for the signs of the corner on approach. They helped massively.

I can honestly say that car is quite amazing to take such brutal driving.

Although we did (well Brillo did !!) change the brake pads at lunchtime. !!

I just provided banter and abuse !! lol !

Roll on the next one !!!

Thanks Brillo

A mate was there in his Atom, he tells me a Vx220 caught fire?

Yep, a vx220 caught fire, an rx8 self blew up on the first hot lap and a very unlucky guy chopped his finger off whilst shutting his door or boot!

A mate was there in his Atom, he tells me a Vx220 caught fire?

Yep, a vx220 caught fire, an rx8 self blew up on the first hot lap and a very unlucky guy chopped his finger off whilst shutting his door or boot!

:scare: :scare: :scare: :scare:

Who organised the day ?

Damien ?

Wow, I only knew of the S220 catching fire !!! Then the Red flag - which they dealt with very quickly.

I had an Elise overtake me who was then to fast into a corner and did a nice 360 off !!

Was very amusing !!

A wide track and saw some 3 abreast on the straights, they sorted themselves just before the corners- fortunately !!

Oh and thanks Rob - that would be great.

Edited by Wendy

18033280_1261805613916879_4173603675525114652_n.jpg?oh=ef95deb0b74e5d201db3a81da2ed6660&oe=59916BE0

well there she is, with Wendy behind the wheel I believe.

Was a really good day, stayed dry all day which is a good start. Car was performing well, I think the main problems were the drivers... Bedford has a lot of long straights followed by big braking zones - easy to brake too early and then coast into the corner, or brake a bit late and miss the apex. Also, the hairpins definitely need a slow in, fast out approach, and a late turn in - apex early and you just run out of road on the exit.

also the brakes were feeling a little weird in the morning - inconsistent pedal feel. did a precautionary pad change at lunch, to find the old pads still had material on - so might consider a fluid change (hasn't been done yet) and braided lines before the next trackday.

by the end of the day I think we were both improving - after some scruffy laps just after lunch I think we got braking, turn in points and corner speed dialled in, and were carrying some good speed. Also using all of the road, and occasionally a bit more. Wendy even managed to get the back moving a bit, which is impressive given how much grip the rear tyres have.

Very much looking forward to the next one, but not sure what it is yet!

• Like 1