Ireland road trip May 2018

Irn Bru

I always wanted to tour the Emerald Isle ever since I learned to drive many moons ago, and what better way to do it than in a Zed and with club members.

As title date it's ages away yet but as I have a ton of events and road trips planned for most of this year, plus the fact I know very little about all the good roads to do, Im starting this early to garner as much info as I can, as soon as I can, that way when the pulling together of the final route and overnight stays are fixed in, it'll be much easier to do.

I've only ever been to Belfast and Bangor for a wedding, as far as Ireland is concerned but I know from speaking to folks who have done it, it's an amazing place with great roads and scenery to take in.

Road trip open to members and their friends and would again be done over a 4 day long weekend. Obviously attendees are free to make it as short or as long as they wanted to do themselves if they like.

Soooooo, looking for input from any member who either, has done a tour or / lives in the Emerald Isle. Won't be putting an official attendee list up till nearer the time but if anybody wishes to say "I'm in" at this point or further down the planning stages then great. Would be looking to get ferry from Liverpool to Dublin and start the tour there, probably heading in a anti clockwise direction and following the coastal roads for the most part, but happy to be advised on better roads and route by anyone in the know. Be great to have members attending from all five nations on this trip if possible.

Cheers

Bri

• Like 1

Sounds good. Way too early to say if I will be there, but you've piqued my interest.

Any reason why you put this in Regional rather than National Meets? Might be worth getting a mod to move it.

Edited by Strudul

Sounds good. Way too early to say if I will be there, but you've peaked my interest.

Any reason why you put this in Regional rather than National Meets? Might be worth getting a mod to move it.

I did think of that before posting but as it's so far away at the min, I'll leave it here and see how the interest builds. If warrantied, I'll ask a mod to move it later this year.

Strudul. It's piqued my interest. :)

Just saying. Don't hit me.

Touché and fixed. Wasn't paying attention to what I was typing and just went with the auto fill / correct. ;)

Edited by Strudul

Strudul. It's piqued my interest. :)

Just saying. Don't hit me.

Touché and fixed. Wasn't paying attention to what I was typing and just went with the auto fill / correct. ;)

Autocorrect is early form of SkyNet trying to bum us out of existence I know it!

Brian i suggest you go clockwise from Dublin not much to see going anti until you get to the north coast---i'd go clockwise round to Westport then go baack across in a straight line cross country back to Dublin

Hi Ian, reason for anti clockwise was I really want to see the Giants Causeway stones on the north coast. I haven't got a clue if even doing the entire / most of the coastal route would be possible in 4 days, hoping for experienced Ireland members to chime in on this

Autocorrect is early form of SkyNet trying to bum us out of existence I know it!

And get us into trouble with the GLO :unsure:

Hi Ian, reason for anti clockwise was I really want to see the Giants Causeway stones on the north coast. I haven't got a clue if even doing the entire / most of the coastal route would be possible in 4 days, hoping for experienced Ireland members to chime in on this

Depends how fast we go ;)

Brian i suggest you go clockwise from Dublin not much to see going anti until you get to the north coast---i'd go clockwise round to Westport then go baack across in a straight line cross country back to Dublin

Think you will be pushing it....we have done all the irish coast anti right round galway and donegal to the giants causeway so going wise would take us doing the part we haven't done but i honestly don't think that way has that much to offer; might i suggest we go from stranraer and do it that way if you want to go to the causeway...but as you say maybe some of our irish cousins can chime in

Think you will be pushing it....we have done all the irish coast anti right round galway and donegal to the giants causeway so going wise would take us doing the part we haven't done but i honestly don't think that way has that much to offer; might i suggest we go from stranraer and do it that way if you want to go to the causeway...but as you say maybe some of our irish cousins can chime in

I suggested Liverpool as the start so as to try and encourage a good mix of members to join the trip, easy access for almost everyone and pretty central in the uk geography, but I'm more than happy to listen to everyone's ideas for this trip, start points route etc, it's all in the pot for stirring everybody's imagination and input :thumbs:

Edited by Irn Bru

I suggested Liverpool as the start so as to try and encourage a good mix of members to join the trip, easy access for almost everyone and pretty central in the uk geography, but I'm more than happy to listen to everyone's ideas for this trip, start points route etc, it's all in the pot for stirring everybody's imagination and input :thumbs:

Well whatever is decided we will try and do this as it's a beautiful place!
  • Like 1

4 days is no where near enough to take it all in, so you really need to get a list of must haves and work from there. The North Coast Road is an absolute must, start in Larne and follow it around to Portstewart, taking in The Giants Causeway, Dunluce Castle and The Dark Hedges along the way. There's day 1 :lol:

West Donegal around Kilcar is also stunning and easily integrated. However, Kerry and Killarney are also amazing, especially the Ring of Kerry, but a 5 hour drive from Donegal. If you're down that far, you have to go to visit Blarney Castle and kiss the stone :snog:

• Like 2

As Kyle has said I don't know if 4 days would be long enough. As a resident on the North Coast it will take u a good day to see the Giants Causeway, visit Bushmills Distillery ( oldest Distillery in the world ), visit the dark hedges and take in the beautiful north coast scenery. Would be happy to help out if anything I can do.

• Like 1

I went to Ireland for my stag do - we spent a few nights in Cork. Stunning place, people are just as you might expect super friendly and a great laugh. Even the taxi ride to the coast was a visual experience! Have kissed the Blarney stone already :p

• Like 1