Wrapping new exhaust

Flashback

Hey guys,

Following on from my visit to H-DEV last week I've decided that I need a new cat back system as well as my new Berks HFCs as the current custom exhaust would be restrictive.

Anyway everything is all ordered up and being happily made / shipped over so good news there.

I'm considering wrapping the whole thing (cats and new system for heat retention and probably better resistance to corrosion too). What are peoples thoughts on this?

If I do it should I also look at wrapping the exhaust manifold at some point / now? Might need to order up another roll or two of the heat wrap if so.

This is what I bought to do it... https://www.amazon.c...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I wouldnt wrap much further than the cats to be honest and not really a lot of point unless you wrap the manifolds and to be honest, its really not going to net you any more power on a na, 1bhp perhaps. The most noticeable improvement if you wrap will be under bonnet temps.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

Thanks JetPilot. Fair enough but do you think it will make a difference keeping the pipes less corroded over time?

If you're getting a new exhaust system and HFC's they will be stainless steel surely won't they?! :dry:

The HFC's definitely will be and unless you're getting an OEM exhaust system then most aftermarket exhaust systems are stainless steel or better so you won't need to worry about corrosion on those.

If you mean the standard exhaust manifolds then I really wouldn't worry about corrosion on those either and if you are seriously thinking of wrapping them then the amount of money it will cost to get to them done would be ridiculous. You'd be better off replacing the OEM manifolds with some aftermarket ones if you're seriously going to the hassle of having the old ones removed for wrapping.

Thanks JetPilot. Fair enough but do you think it will make a difference keeping the pipes less corroded over time?

No as above with what Gm says, if i was having a new manifold, cats, i would do them just to help under bonnet temps, but for performance gains, its just not relevant on with moderate hp, different if your talking a big hp turbo car and you want to keep the gases hot to get them to exit quicker.

A couple of things to bare in mind...

Wrapping the exhaust can trap moisture and increase oxidisation.

Some people claim wrapping it makes the exhaust noisier or quieter (hah, bloody internet!).

And as stated, it's usually only worth wrapping the manifolds...

Don't bother (imho).

It has taken a couple of dbs off both my 350z and vx220 at static ;)

Did it take much off?

I've been looking at wrapping my Tomei exhaust, its a bit too loud so was considering wrapping it from the cats back to the back box but I could never find a definitive answer whether it increased or decreased the noise

In a past life I wrapped my ASP header mainly for looks as on the SR20 it's clearly visible, however on the VQ35 I wouldn't bother.

On my mild steel header I had no issues with corrosion, and I'd always soak the wrap and fit it damp taking it through a few heat cycles.

DSCF9184.jpg

IMG_20140718_080015.jpg

It has taken a couple of dbs off both my 350z and vx220 at static ;)

Did it take much off?

I've been looking at wrapping my Tomei exhaust, its a bit too loud so was considering wrapping it from the cats back to the back box but I could never find a definitive answer whether it increased or decreased the noise

Think it was actually 3 on my vx :) definitely changes the tone.

My experience with heat wrapping is positive - wrapped headers significantly lowered under bonnet temps on my ex car (V6 Mondeo). On the 350Z, I had two different decats, silenced Japcrap and straight ones, after heat wrapping them with the Japcrap Y pipe too, some of the vibrations and a liiiiiiiitle bit of high pitched noise disappeared. My recommendation would be: ...paint the wrap with something like DEI heat wrap paint, so that the exposed parts like Y pipe won't trap road grime and water. The paint protects the wrap absolutely, I did not have any problems with the wrap even after winter driving my ex car. Plus, no nasty smell after driving through a puddle, as the porous wrap would cook all the dirt it traps on the hot exhaust :D :D

Also, buy a decent wrap, cheap ones will get brittle and loose after a short period of time when exposed to high temps, no matter if you paint them. I had good results with the so called "titanium" wrap with goldish coloured weave. I never had to use expensive ones, like Thermotec.

• Like 1