Oil usage DE no rev-up. Reading Dip stick

Miller350z

For one.....I struggle to find the hole, it's frustrating I know but am I the only one?

When I checked my oil on the dip stick last night to me it looked like it didn't even reach the minimum. I can see plenty of oil on the bottom of the stick, day and inch, bellow the twist. Then just a bit here and there. I'll post a pick. So is the car really low on oil?

Secondly I had a random misfire in November time. Bought new plugs and changed them but found in one of them it had a load of oil. See pic. Changing the plugs didn't fix the misfire. So I took it to a garage, got 6 new coils and an mot. I told him about the oil in one of the plugs. He said he looked and couldn't see anything but said keep my eye on it.

So my questions really.

Is it clear to see on the dip stick the amount of oil (like it is in my focus)?

If it was loosing oil through the spark plug seal, would it really go from nearly full to under the minimum.?http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/589ae42929643/20170207_190038.jpg?

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/589ae42d07e5c/20170207_190042.jpg?

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/589ae440a14ca/20170207_185218.jpg?

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/589ae460f1e69/20161108_135845.jpg?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The issue with the 350Z dipstick is that it gets covered in oil when you remove it, due to the stupid design. If it's covered then you can't get an accurate reading, if yours isn't covered, then you must be low on oil.

The oil in the spark plug well is common, you need a repair kit for the rocker/cam cover. Speak to Torqen on here and Adrian will sort you out :thumbs:

Hi thanks for your reply, I'll stick a litre of oil in it today then and see about repair kit or new replacement. Would it loose that amount of oil through the plug hole though? The coils are a tight fit, and there had been no oil on the garage floor etc......so where has it gone? ?

Finding a random misfire is a process of elimination, time consuming but not technically hard.

I'll post up a list of potentials a bit later today.

If you have a trusted mechanic use them but I advise you to use one of the garages that are trusted here as they know 350z's inside out.

Or if you're daft like me, start buying tools and do it yourself :D

Oil isn't getting lost through the plug seal - you really would know about it if a plug was leaking as it would be hot, high-pressure gas not oil coming out - and probably not long before the plug shot out like a bullet!

As KyleR said right back at the beginning, its a common problem for a small leak around the cam cover to drizzle oil into the plug hole. You can fix it, but if it isn't too bad you can also ignore it for quite a while. It sounds like you only need to top up the oil and keep an eye on it. Check at least every week until you get a pattern of how much it uses.

To diagnose a random misfire some explanation of when it happens is useful - i.e. what sort of revs, is the engine warm, how often does it happen. 6 new coils sounds pricey but has it solved the problem?

Thanks for reply. Doing it in the dark was definitely where I was going wrong. I totally missed the hole and when i pulled it back out it was totally dry so i knew something wasnt right.Used the fingers to guild it in in the end. Got a bit of a mess on my fingers but these things happen.

The misfire was the coils, so that's no longer a problem. I was just hoping it was the plugs. So changed them myself and that's when I found the oil. I thought it may be the coils but I let a garage sort it in the end as if it wasn't the coils I would've had some come back, but if I'd done it myself and spent £570 on coils then it wasn't that I would've been stuck.

Had a look at a repair kit, however a brand new cover from Clark is £195, pretty much same as the kit with no messing about, so I may do this in a couple of months. So think I'll stick a litre in it today and see how it goes and keep my eye on it. Service is due in July so I'll give it an oil change then.

Thanks for the help.

i wouldn't wait until July to make sure it has enough oil in it though... check it this weekend, in the daylight, after the car has been sitting overnight. easiest to check when the engine is good and cold. once you've got a clear reading, add oil until you're at the max mark. a litre probably wont do it if you're currently sat below the minimum.

So just to 100% clarify, your misfire was solved with coilpacks ? (and out of curiosity, what was the misfire like, could you actually feel it?)

Onto the rocker/valve covers.

I used the repair kit.

It takes some patience and isn't super quick but I feel it largely did the job. I still get a little oil on the spark threads but that's it, doesn't go further down.

The only thing I need to do this weekend is try putting some around the top of the spark plug tube as that's the only place I can think it weeps in a bit.

Thanks for reply. Doing it in the dark was definitely where I was going wrong. I totally missed the hole and when i pulled it back out it was totally dry so i knew something wasnt right.Used the fingers to guild it in in the end. Got a bit of a mess on my fingers but these things happen.

Absolute filth! You are working on the car, aren't you?

• Like 4