350Z in Dublin, ROI - fuel?

SimonKevNorris

I'm wondering it anyone can help me.

I'm currently working in Dublin and I brought my 350Z over with me from the UK just before last Xmas. I bought the car new just before Xmas in 2008 when they were being heavily discounted (I bought a GT pack coupe for £7.5 K off the list price).

I'm having trouble sourcing anything other than 95 Octane fuel over here. I know the 350Z needs 98 RON fuel.

I was in the UK last year and even there I was driving between Shell and Tesco service stations for 98 or 99 (Tesco) fuel. I still have over half a tank of Shell but I need to fill it up in a month or so (I'm in about 15 minute walk from my apartment to my desk).

I know it would be possible to source fuel in NI but I'd probably use 1/2 or a 1/4 tank getting back (plus the toll road around Dublin).

I've yet to try the local Tesco here but I'm fairly sure that they won't sell 99 octane fuel,

Is an additive the answer?

Thanks in advance.

You could get a 20ltr jerry can or 3 and fill them up at same time as the zed so its not so much a waste of fuel as you will have a stock.

Then when you get back to england you could sell them to get some money back or keep them in reserve for when the walking dead zombie apocalypse hits.

From previous threads though. An additive is ok short term or running 95 ron is ok if you keep below 4/5k rpm ie normal driving

Thanks for that - my car was full when I came over here (suitcase in the passenger well and travel bag on the passenger seat) and the 'boot' was choker block (I'm glad I have a coupe). So, the only place for some jerry cans would be the roof in a roof box and I'm not even sure that would be possible to do.

Zero super in the ROI, your only option is to run 95 and take it easy, below 5k as mentioned. Use good quality proven octane boosters if you wish to ensure safe running. Like you mention, you can drive up here to NI, but thats not really practical.

• Like 1

Topaz do a 97 octane fuel i know there is a few around dublin but i have always stopped for diesel so never looked which ones have 97 sorry :(

Thanks for that.

There is one Topaz down the road from me (I'm in Ballsbridge) in Merrion Rd which is near St Vincent's Hospital. I've been in there before as on Sunday they do the jet wash for you. I'm fairly sure that I checked before - but I will do so again. There is a larger one at Mt Merrion that I pass coming back into Dublin.

Zero super in the ROI, your only option is to run 95 and take it easy, below 5k as mentioned. Use good quality proven octane boosters if you wish to ensure safe running. Like you mention, you can drive up here to NI, but thats not really practical.

Thanks for that. I took my 350z up to Newry in December 2015 in order to get an MOT when I was in Dublin last. I did manage to get an MOT in Reading before I left the UK in mid December 2016 so I don't need to do that trip again until later in the year.

I'll try the Topaz garages to see what they do - but I'll try and get an Octane Booster and drive carefully.

Edited by SimonKevNorris

If you have an HR they can run on 95 RON, definitely not recommended long term, but if you keep the revs down to say 5k then all should be fine. If you have a late registered DE then.......just take it real easy :)

Pete

Look under the bonnet, if you have two air intakes then it's an HR. Looking at the bonnet hump that's very likely, but not impossible to swap.

Also, if your car revs to 7500 it's definitely an HR.

OK, I will look for that then. My car is currently in an underground car park with the front (where the car's front is) fairly low.

I don't think I've ever revved the engine very high - it's still low mileage - just over 22K miles and most of that was done in the past 12 months.

The HR engine is fitted with knock sensors which detect detonation and automatically alter the ignition timing.

This reduces the risk of engine damage caused by knock, while running on low octane fuels.

OK, thanks for that. I think I'll still be happier when I can get some decent fuel for her. Until then I'll look for some additive and not go crazy in her.

Erm, if you've never revved the car to the rev limiter then you really need to be doing that: Sitting at low rpms isn't a good thing for modern engines at all. They're designed to be used properly, so don't be afraid to bang the limiter every now and then.

I live in Dublin. Unfortunately super-unleaded is not available here but in terms of quality of fuels I'd stick to the main brands such as Topaz, Esso or Maxol. With a preference for Maxol as they used to yield a slighter higher octane in their 95.

I know about 6 or 7 people with Zs that have been ran exclusively on 95 RON over the course of their lifetime and they are still going strong - some with higher mileage such as mine at 87k.

You will be hard pushed to find high octane in Northern Ireland also.

Additive may be your best bet. Good luck.

I live in Dublin. Unfortunately super-unleaded is not available here but in terms of quality of fuels I'd stick to the main brands such as Topaz, Esso or Maxol. With a preference for Maxol as they used to yield a slighter higher octane in their 95.

I know about 6 or 7 people with Zs that have been ran exclusively on 95 RON over the course of their lifetime and they are still going strong - some with higher mileage such as mine at 87k.

You will be hard pushed to find high octane in Northern Ireland also.

Additive may be your best bet. Good luck.

Super is everywhere up here :wacko: