Adhesive Recommendation?

Strudul

Edited-

Looking to mount aluminium (probably painted, but I can leave it raw on the connecting side if that helps) sheet to glass (rear window).

Requirements:

- Strong enough to never fall off

- Removable (doesn't have to be easy, just possible, and without leaving any marks)

- No damage to the glass or the aluminium (or the paint on the aluminium)

- Low profile

Was going to use 3M tape, but have been persuaded otherwise, and an adhesive sealant is sounding like a better option unless someone has any other ideas.

Old Post:

Any 3M tape experts?

Looking to mount aluminium (probably painted, but I can leave it raw on the connecting side) sheet to glass (rear window) with some double sided tape.

Most automotive forums seem to recommend 4229P, however from the data sheet, the adhesives on this tape are AR-7 and DS-4, which are designed for "clear coat paints" and " automotive plastics".

There seems to be a billion different products to choose from, but from what I can deduce, I'd be better off with something from the 4941 family, either 4941 or 4936?

Or PT1100???

Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by Strudul

I wouldn't use any tape to bond anything there at all, it just doesn't have anywhere near the required strength.

I assume you're attaching some louvres to the rear glass? Just use TigerSeal, or even better Sikaflex 29i instead. You really, really don't want that flying off at speed.

• Like 2

How about lard, warm it up and apply and only drive when really cold?

Good shout, though after some serious brainstorming I think toffee would be a better solution, as when it comes to removing it, toffee tastes better than lard when being licked off.

• Like 1

Would you recommend Sikaflex 291i over all the others (221, 512, EBT)? EBT seems to be the only one stocked in stores. What about CT1 instead?

Also would it still be effective when spread thinly?

Edited by Strudul

I've used the 29i before, hence the recommendation for that one. EBT would be okay as well. No experience of CT1 to comment.

Depends on what you mean as 'thinly'. You need a good even coverage, but there's no point in either slapping it on and watching it squeeze out everywhere only for you to wipe it all off, but nor is it a good idea to have it so thin that you have poor contact between ally and glass.

I fitted mine last week with clear silicone. Stuck on fine and has had a good run up the M5.

Clear silicone will definitely have the sticking power once dry, but doesn't have the mould repellent that the 29i or other marine adhesive has. :)

I fitted mine last week with clear silicone. Stuck on fine and has had a good run up the M5.

What make of louvre are you fitting. I've had a few issues with the 'slats' rattling against the glass!

Custom ;)

Try running a rubber / foam strip along the edge of the slats where they touch the glass?

You do mean 291i, right? Can't find 29 anywhere...

Just thinking about removal, how would you attack it with a solvent if it's behind something (green)? Can you just do a strip along the edge instead (red)?

e34b689c2065befbbe957ace368ffd6e.png

(blue = glass, grey = aly, red/green = sealant)

My typo, yes the 291i.

Well you have to get something between the two surfaces first to separate them, then you use the solvent to dissolve. Think of it like debadging a car with some floss, only on a bigger scale. You cannot and should not use the red method you show there, as you won't have anywhere near the contact patch required to hold it down: That's for sealing, you want to bond.

• Like 1

Might be worth popping in to a local body shop. At least then they should have insurance if your rig decapitates a innocent convertible driver on the M1. I can't image they'll charge you much just to stick it on.

Edit: all my aftermarket bits (diffuser, spoiler, spats) the body shop used sicaflex. They don't budge a centimetre.

Seriously Mammoth tap from toolstation.

It is unbelievably strong.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Surely along the same lines as the 3M stuff? Can anyone really guarantee that if the wind gets under it at 130mph it won't pull it off?

Seriously Mammoth tap from toolstation.

It is unbelievably strong.

Surely along the same lines as the 3M stuff? Can anyone really guarantee that if the wind gets under it at 130mph it won't pull it off?

Seriously buy some just to have in the house anyway and give it a go on something else first.

Its vicious! I nearly pulled my finger nail off with a bit once.

• Like 1