Want to switch to MPSS - Need advice on tyre sizes

Own3r

I have recently bought my new zed a few months ago and I've now managed to save up enough to switch from the crap budget tyres it came with.

The only problem I have is that my tyre sizes are:

Front: 225/50ZR17 98W XL

Rear: 235/50ZR17 100W XL

I have searched the Michelin website and it doesn't look like they sell tyres with these dimensions. Are the tyres on my car not standard size?

I'm sure I'm being stupid but I would really appreciate some advice on which tyre sizes I could get to get the best performance out of my zed.

Cheers,

Mike

I think those are the correct sizes for the standard 350Z 17" rims, but looks like you can't get MPSS for 17" rims in anything remotely close to a suitable width / profile.

I'm sure Dan will be able to suggest a good alternative :thumbs:

Or you could get some new rims? Stock 18" Rays are cheap, light and rather good. :dry:

Edited by Strudul

I think those are the correct sizes for the standard 350Z 17" rims, but looks like you can't get MPSS for 17" rims in anything remotely close to a suitable width / profile.

I'm sure Dan will be able to suggest a good alternative :thumbs:

Or you could get some new rims? Stock 18" Rays are cheap, light and rather good. :dry:

Ah I didn't realise that, I'll look into getting 18" rims then just in case there are no decent tyres around with the standard size. Sorry to ask but would the 18" rims make much difference to how the car feels as I've heard the larger the rims the more uncomfortable the ride is?

Edited by Own3r

If you're happy to spend that kind of cash on tyres that you want for performance (and good on you for doing so), then you'd do just as well to grab a set of the 18" Rays and put MPSS on them. Yes, it won't be the cheapest option, but it's the one I'd recommend.

In terms of comfort, you may well notice a slight reduction given the smaller sidewall. However, that will be massively offset by the fact the Rays are significantly lighter than the 17" wheels (5lbs a corner!) so your car will feel lighter and nimbler on it's feet. It'll also accelerate quicker, brake in shorter distances, use less fuel etc. Basically, the best of all worlds!

I'd expect ride quality to improve, tbh.

If you're happy to spend that kind of cash on tyres that you want for performance (and good on you for doing so), then you'd do just as well to grab a set of the 18" Rays and put MPSS on them. Yes, it won't be the cheapest option, but it's the one I'd recommend.

In terms of comfort, you may well notice a slight reduction given the smaller sidewall. However, that will be massively offset by the fact the Rays are significantly lighter than the 17" wheels (5lbs a corner!) so your car will feel lighter and nimbler on it's feet. It'll also accelerate quicker, brake in shorter distances, use less fuel etc. Basically, the best of all worlds!

I'd expect ride quality to improve, tbh.

Yeah I thought it should be the first thing I should upgrade based on all the benefits I'd get from them, it still sounds like it would be worth it based on what you've said.

That's good I was worried it would affect it negatively but I suppose 1" isn't going to make a whole lot of difference.

I guess I'll be saving for a bit longer then.

Thanks a lot for your advice guys!

Should expect to pay £150-£400 for a set of stock RAYS depending on condition (then £50 per corner if you want to get them refurbed).

Definitely worth it I'd say.

I'll have a look on eBay now and see if I can get a decent set, cheers.

Edited by Own3r

I'll have a look on eBay now and see if I can get a decent set, cheers.

Brad has a set of forged Rays alloys for sale here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/109961-oem-rays-cheap-my-wheels-225/page__st__40#entry1690655

Imho they're a bargain buy. They'll need a refurb as he mentions in his advert but they're still a cracking price. ;)