welded diff success rate!

martinh55

Right i know the hate on a welded diff in a 350 is most probably very strong! But who's managed to run a welder without eating a drive shaft or diff for a considerable amount of time?

Im using my z for drifting i have always drifted a welder before. But i wasnt drifting in a 350. I will be doing a drift day in jan on the stock vlsd as the car is bone stock at the moment. I will just be running an alloy rad and tein tie rods and lock spacers with the lock stop removed.

The plan would be to run coil overs, rear adjustable arms and solid diff mounts for when/ if a welder is ago a head.

Cheers

Martin

Steve aka the chubby ninja is the member you want to speak to. He's been drifting welded diffs for a few years and a very accomplished drifter. His is a supercharged zed running 450bhp+. Very helpful guy and ace at drifting, i've had a shotgun ride with him, he'll tell you all you need to know

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a welder for 2 years on mine as a daily, never had any issues, supposedly hard mounting the diff is what causes so many breakages. Had regular track sessions too, I toasted two clutches in that time, no diffs or shafts :)

Great news then. When you say hard mounting the diff you mean solid diff mounts, so just stick to the stock rubber diff mounts when running a welder? Also how low are you running the car?

cheers

I ran a welder for 2 years on mine as a daily, never had any issues, supposedly hard mounting the diff is what causes so many breakages. Had regular track sessions too, I toasted two clutches in that time, no diffs or shafts :)

Great news then. When you say hard mounting the diff you mean solid diff mounts, so just stick to the stock rubber diff mounts when running a welder? Also how low are you running the car?

cheers

Yeah, leave the rubber mounts I'd say. I had BC coilovers and the rears were as low as they'd go down.

dent.jpg

drift%204.jpg

cheers

Yeah, leave the rubber mounts I'd say. I had BC coilovers and the rears were as low as they'd go down.

dent.jpg

drift%204.jpg

looking good nice duck tail spoiler.

I cant run that low due to my drive :yuck: i can probably got 10mm lower than stock at the front and probably match the rears to have the car sitting level.

Is there any think linked to how low the car sits to the stress the welded diff puts on the half shafts??

I have one for sale if anyone wants. Came on my Z and wasn't for me so changed it but had some fun with it while it was still fitted.

where are you based and how much? am i right in assuming the diff is still in the pumpkin

I'm in Glasgow bud. And yeah it's all together in the pumpkin.

Should really be called an anchor.

Yeah I've been running a welded diff for over a year now with just shy of 500hp and no breakages as I heard they could split the diff case and break drives shafts etc but nothing yet. It is pretty brutal tbh for daily driving but you get used to it. Just make sure your other bushes are ok or you probably will start breaking things. I've destroyed a gearbox and a good clutch but the diffs still soldiering on haha

Yeah I've been running a welded diff for over a year now with just shy of 500hp and no breakages as I heard they could split the diff case and break drives shafts etc but nothing yet. It is pretty brutal tbh for daily driving but you get used to it. Just make sure your other bushes are ok or you probably will start breaking things. I've destroyed a gearbox and a good clutch but the diffs still soldiering on haha

When you say brutal do you mean it makes the car a bit of a handful?

500hp and a paddle clutch? Could this have been what killed the gear box?

When you say brutal do you mean it makes the car a bit of a handful?

500hp and a paddle clutch? Could this have been what killed the gear box?

It's just really violent clunks when turning at slow speed and you can feel the whole subframe jerking, even with new poly bushes fitted. You can also feel each shock through the drive train. I had mine on the road for a year with the welded diff and only recently decided to take it off the road. It's bearable living with it but a bit annoying at times. As far as handling goes it's great. Feels very predictable.

I need to paddle clutch as it's a drift car. Clutch is rated to 850ftlbs so it doesn't slip when drifting in 4th gear with semi slicks. That's what killed my last clutch. Lots of abuse killed my gearbox but if im honest, I think the 1/4 mile killed the gearbox more than anything and was only doing it for a laugh