Thinking about supercharging.

Chris Wiltshire

So I'm thinking about supercharging my 370z but I just can't decide on if it will be a good idea or not.

I currently have bolts ons which are motordyne exhaust, art pipes, stillen gen 3 and ECUTEK which made 333 WHP and 283 lbft at the hubs.

What sort of power are people seeing with the Stillen SC? Will it be a big difference compare to what I currently have? Comparing SC graphs to mine and their doesn't seem to be much difference down low, only once you get past 5k.

Have been on a few us forums and some say its not worth it while others say it completely changed the car...

Put it this way I did it! loved it unfortunately had a crash

Bought another z and then I'm supercharging again

I think if you love the z enough to want it for a good while longer then it's worth it

You welcome to come a ride in mine in a few weeks when it's tunned

I'll have the stillen kit converted to air to air

The air to air sounds good! I've also been looking at the GTM kits but I think installation would be a lot more?

Ever since I went in a friends 660 hp GTR its kind of made me want more power! I could save it towards a GTR but It will still be cheaper to SC a 370z as long as it doesn't blow up!

Thanks for the offer! might have to take you up on that :D

So I'm thinking about supercharging my 370z but I just can't decide on if it will be a good idea or not.

I currently have bolts ons which are motordyne exhaust, art pipes, stillen gen 3 and ECUTEK which made 333 WHP and 283 lbft at the hubs.

What sort of power are people seeing with the Stillen SC? Will it be a big difference compare to what I currently have? Comparing SC graphs to mine and their doesn't seem to be much difference down low, only once you get past 5k.

Have been on a few us forums and some say its not worth it while others say it completely changed the car...

You've got the exact mod combo I want, Abbey keeps telling me anywhere near 333whp is impossible NA. Do you have any exhaust videos and dyno chart or a build thread as I'm very interested in everything you've done.

As for your question, I'm guessing it's a centrifugal type which makes power as the Rpms climb unlike roots and twinscroll hence why it won't make loads of power or torque low down below 5000rpm as you say. I've only owned a 370z 5 days or so, so I'm unsure of all the superchargers available but I've had a roots charger on a FWD type R. Whilst making loads of power/torque at low rpm is great in the higher gears, say 4th onwards. In the lower gears having too much power will make at least the first 3 gears unusable (without boost limiting) as you'll be making more power/torque than the wheels can handle in terms of traction. You don't want to be pulling loads at 2000rpm in all the gears it you'll have to short shift your way up to avoid simply spinning the wheels all the time. The roots charger I had made good power and torque from 3000 onwards yet it was on the limits of traction in 2nd gear for that car/setup. As I say I've only owned this car a few days but I would guess sticking a roots or twinscroll on a 370z at high boost might give the RWD big traction issues. Even the centrifugal tyke should give some additional power and midrange and the 370z is not slow compared to my old 2.0 ltr NA 200bhp type R believe me, let alone your 333whp which you must have got used to by now! However the difference between your NA performance and a 500bhp 370z is that whether or not it has power below 5000rpm, when driven through the gears up to the redline you have super car performance, whereas right now you have quite a fast car BHP/tonne wise but not suoercar fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by nub

With ecutek and it's Awsome adjustable traction control and good tyres the 370 just hooks up and goes even with the charger

I believe they have come up with wet tc maps now aswell

The 370 pulls nicely in midrange anyway

Where you realy notice the difference is where that nice pull tails off with the stock car. the supercharged car is just starting to sing!

Which makes for no hesitation if you can make that overtake or tight gap just drop a cog and it pulls and pulls

Best way to describe the drive is the same as stock drivabilty with MORE loads MORE go :)

Where I realy missed my charger was on our annual European trips

Pulling out of hairpins up big long straights/climbs where the bigger power cars just stomp away from you

Edited by nissanman312

Save for a GTR, it will work out cheaper in the long run. Because you will want forged engine ... and zeditus is hard to get over.

I thought long and hard about that and couldn't find anyway of making a 40k gtr plus upkeep work for me

I suppose if op has a very good job and lots of saving potential then yeah gtr would be a better shout

I had 2 hours driving my pals round Wales and had to give it back as I knew it was unlikely i would ever own one :(

Epic things tho impressive in the wet

Edited by nissanman312
  • Like 1

Save for a GTR, it will work out cheaper in the long run. Because you will want forged engine ... and zeditus is hard to get over.

Can't agree more.

If all your after is big power and acceleration the GTR is the most cost effective route.

Zeditus is a nasty illness and as I and others have found out you can throw an awful lot of cash chasing big numbers.

Everyone knows and expects the GTR to be quick but a bespoke boosted 350/370 that blasts away from exotic cars on track that by rights should be in their rear view mirror is a price worth paying if you want to drive a sleeper.

I'm biased as I have incurable Zeditus and also leaving this forum is not an option! Lol

• Like 3

Can't agree more.

If all your after is big power and acceleration the GTR is the most cost effective route.

Zeditus is a nasty illness and as I and others have found out you can throw an awful lot of cash chasing big numbers.

Everyone knows and expects the GTR to be quick but a bespoke boosted 350/370 that blasts away from exotic cars on track that by rights should be in their rear view mirror is a price worth paying if you want to drive a sleeper.

I'm biased as I have incurable Zeditus and also leaving this forum is not an option! Lol

Yeah there's somthing nice about owning somthing a little diffrent

• Like 2

Can't agree more.

Yeah there's somthing nice about owning somthing a little diffrent gtrs are just everywhere

You've got the exact mod combo I want, Abbey keeps telling me anywhere near 333whp is impossible NA. Do you have any exhaust videos and dyno chart or a build thread as I'm very interested in everything you've done.

As for your question, I'm guessing it's a centrifugal type which makes power as the Rpms climb unlike roots and twinscroll hence why it won't make loads of power or torque low down below 5000rpm as you say. I've only owned a 370z 5 days or so, so I'm unsure of all the superchargers available but I've had a roots charger on a FWD type R. Whilst making loads of power/torque at low rpm is great in the higher gears, say 4th onwards. In the lower gears having too much power will make at least the first 3 gears unusable (without boost limiting) as you'll be making more power/torque than the wheels can handle in terms of traction. You don't want to be pulling loads at 2000rpm in all the gears it you'll have to short shift your way up to avoid simply spinning the wheels all the time. The roots charger I had made good power and torque from 3000 onwards yet it was on the limits of traction in 2nd gear for that car/setup. As I say I've only owned this car a few days but I would guess sticking a roots or twinscroll on a 370z at high boost might give the RWD big traction issues. Even the centrifugal tyke should give some additional power and midrange and the 370z is not slow compared to my old 2.0 ltr NA 200bhp type R believe me, let alone your 333whp which you must have got used to by now! However the difference between your NA performance and a 500bhp 370z is that whether or not it has power below 5000rpm, when driven through the gears up to the redline you have super car performance, whereas right now you have quite a fast car BHP/tonne wise but not suoercar fast.

This car is the biggest BHP 370Z we seen with stock headers tuned other cars with the same spec that made 10 to 15bhp less thats why I cant say use X and Y and get Z power.

No worries Mark, I hope I'm not getting you annoyed it's just I had my own ideas and this dude has the exact mods I plan to get. I guess I'll be booking my car in with you guys sometime next year and then we will see who is right ;)

No worries Mark, I hope I'm not getting you annoyed it's just I had my own ideas and this dude has the exact mods I plan to get. I guess I'll be booking my car in with you guys sometime next year and then we will see who is right ;)

I know where my bet is going ;)

• Like 1

Haha. Yes one day I'll show up with those exact mods demanding 333whp ;)

It's more the sound than anything. The ART decat pipes combined with the motordyne shockwave sound fantastic. I did my research before I bought the car and this is what I've determined. ARK GRIP probably sounds similar only quieter than the shockwave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that would be fun! How safe are TT on our engines though? Whats the install cost on a set up like this roughly?

Twin turbo would be a handful in anything other than dry conditions I'd say

Also turbo kits all seem to need a lot of work to make fit on UK cars

Unless you go with the new aam kit

The v3 that comes with the stillen kit is capable of producing enough power for our roads and gives you a nice linear drive like the stock car