Forged internals

.:Bullen:.

Hi all currently running a twin turbo set up and as always looking for abit more power now I know reliability will mean forging the engine.

Am I right in thinking basic stage 1 I suppose would be the following:

Weisco Pistons 8.8-1 ratio

Conrods maybe Brian crower or eagle

Arp head bolts

New gaskets etc

Anything else worth adding while I'm in there? I've seen people mention machining the bloke passages for the HR head gasket ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There a nice sale running on TORQEN in the next few days that includes forging parts, have a look here:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/113188-torqen-12-days-of-sales-25-dec-2016-to-05-jan-2017/ check DAY 8 :)

To get some inspiration of what is required, depending on power levels, have a look on our VQ built packages here:

https://www.torqen.uk/170-forged-engine-packages

You can always get a ready built package and take it to your local engine builder to stick it on, sell your OEM one :), either long or short.

See my previous post for packages.

Yeah I saw the kits but chances of finding someone to buy a bottom end are slim 😂

Plus should keep the cost down abit if I just have the parts replaced maybe

Just a 2005 de. It's the standard oil pump currently I wasn't aware there was any issues with it ?

Timescale isn't an issue its not a daily driver and I barely use it as is but looking to get more use from it and a few track days in next year. Budget wise obviously keep costs to a minimum really I will do most or if not all the work myself as I'm a qualified tech but peace of mind on a warranty for the engine would be nice. I suppose 2-3k ideally if I can pick up some bargains 😂

• Like 1

Is it worth having the block machined slightly to fit the hr headgasket? Or just use s hks one for example

Oil pump will now be added to the list 😃

I would modify block. We have 3 boosted Zed here all with modified block to fit HR gasket all works well

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Is it worth having the block machined slightly to fit the hr headgasket? Or just use s hks one for example

I would modify block. We have 3 boosted Zed here all with modified block to fit HR gasket all works well

Is it s simple request for most builders ? Any info pics etc on what's required ?

I've just managed to pick up a set of

Wiseco Pistons & Brian crower rods for an absolute steal so that's one piece of the puzzle.

Is it s simple request for most builders ? Any info pics etc on what's required ?

I've just managed to pick up a set of

Wiseco Pistons & Brian crower rods for an absolute steal so that's one piece of the puzzle.

You have a thread here with my build. 350z Greddy Twin Turbo Croatia. It should be there

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, just wondering if you are completely set on running a turbo? The reason I ask is because I went through the process a few years ago an ended up with a supercharger and a forged engine. I was really set on getting a turbo, but at that time here in the UK, a very well known garage that alot of forum members use suggested going the supercharged route. Most US shops were confused when I was buying parts from them I told them I was going to use a supercharger instead of a turbo on a built engine as you can get more power out of a turbo set-up. The reason is that even if I had the engine built and a turbo installed, I needed somebody to map the engine. If the garage doesn't feel comfortable mapping these cars with a turbo, I would be out of luck, so I opted for the supercharged route. Fast forward to today and maybe garages here in the UK are more comfortable mapping these cars with turbos now. Not sure.

If the garage doesn't feel comfortable mapping these cars with a turbo, I would be out of luck, so I opted for the supercharged route.

You map the ECU, rather than the engine so as long as youre not using some kind of one off, bespoke race unit then you should be fine regardless of spec.

If you already have a mapper in mind then its probably worth asking him what he would recommend or is most comfortable with, SYVECS is becoming very popular recently :)

Edited by docwra

Hi ZManalex, these were my thoughts exactly. Before I had my engine built I was really leaning toward a turbo, but since I was having the mapping done at Abbey, I wanted to go with what the tuner would suggest as that is what the tuner would feel comfortable with. I was convinced that a supercharger would be a better route. The US shops that it didn't make sense to have a built engine with a supercharger, but that is what Abbey suggested. In fact, the suggestion was to buy the GTM kit over the Vortech since the Vortech was more agricultural. At that time, I couldn't understand how a shop would have no problem mapping Skylines and GTRs with over 1000hp run on turbos and suggest I run a supercharger over a turbo set-up. This would come a bit more clear as to why later though, but at that time (late 2012-summer 2013) I went with the suggestion of the tuner. Also, I can't remember if SYVECS was around at the time, but I'm running Uprev installed by Abbey. I ended up going with the Vortech, which I'm glad I did since GTM does not exist, and pushed a bit more than standard numbers on a built engine. Since that time, I've had my engine remapped at Horsham and have been going there ever since. I had an alignment done this past summer and brought up the whole supercharger turbo dilemma as I was wondering if could still go the turbo route with a built engine running a 10:1 compression ratio. Jez explained that at that time, the only turbo kits available for this car was for US models therefore, a lot of people did not have experience mapping turbos on these cars as that time as the turbo kits did not fit the UK spec zed straight out of the box.. After I heard that, it made sense as to why I was swayed toward a supercharger back in 2013. Again, not to take away from the original post, Bullen I'm assuming your compression ratio is standard 10:3:1 and if you are running a twin turbo set-up, what turbo kit do you have and what type of torque/hp numbers are you making and peaking at which rpm range?

Hi ZManalex, these were my thoughts exactly. Before I had my engine built I was really leaning toward a turbo, but since I was having the mapping done at Abbey, I wanted to go with what the tuner would suggest as that is what the tuner would feel comfortable with. I was convinced that a supercharger would be a better route. The US shops that it didn't make sense to have a built engine with a supercharger, but that is what Abbey suggested. In fact, the suggestion was to buy the GTM kit over the Vortech since the Vortech was more agricultural. At that time, I couldn't understand how a shop would have no problem mapping Skylines and GTRs with over 1000hp run on turbos and suggest I run a supercharger over a turbo set-up. This would come a bit more clear as to why later though, but at that time (late 2012-summer 2013) I went with the suggestion of the tuner. Also, I can't remember if SYVECS was around at the time, but I'm running Uprev installed by Abbey. I ended up going with the Vortech, which I'm glad I did since GTM does not exist, and pushed a bit more than standard numbers on a built engine. Since that time, I've had my engine remapped at Horsham and have been going there ever since. I had an alignment done this past summer and brought up the whole supercharger turbo dilemma as I was wondering if could still go the turbo route with a built engine running a 10:1 compression ratio. Jez explained that at that time, the only turbo kits available for this car was for US models therefore, a lot of people did not have experience mapping turbos on these cars as that time as the turbo kits did not fit the UK spec zed straight out of the box.. After I heard that, it made sense as to why I was swayed toward a supercharger back in 2013. Again, not to take away from the original post, Bullen I'm assuming your compression ratio is standard 10:3:1 and if you are running a twin turbo set-up, what turbo kit do you have and what type of torque/hp numbers are you making and peaking at which rpm range?

Yes standard compression currently but obviously will be going lower soon with the forged Pistons & rods.

The kit was originally a JWT TT kit which I kept a few parts but then custom made everything else to fit ie new manifolds, oil lines, water lines, intercooler piping, intake piping etc etc

I've attached my graphs too

699974946b2c00f0498c81e10fe1d075.jpg160c92c908a22abf50e0a4279de5b144.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Bullen, that is one thing I like about the twin turbo set-up, is more torque down low. I always thought with these cars that you had to stay away from twin turbos if the engine was stock. Seems like Jez has sorted it safely. Must be nice to drive.

Zmanalex, if you have been running turbos on you Z since 2009 then I wonder why reputable garages were giving me different information. Here is the kicker, I have a left hand drive G35 so the whole issue with the supposed issues and turbos on right hand driver vehicles has no argument in my situation. Dynosty is one of the top US shops for the 350z and G35 and they are churning out 600hp twin turbo built Zs and Gs as standard. I'm just a bit disappointed that I could have had more with my car being that its been built and had much more potential.

Edited by Hiro