Slight misfire - any help appreciated

RobPhoboS

Bit of a weird one here.

I was at Silverstone last weekend and had a P0300 code appear after a few (gentle) laps.

Initially I thought it was the code from the exhaust due to no cats (I can't remember the 2 or 3 that pop up right now), as I get these sometimes from idling in the cold.

I'm glad I came in and checked it out, I reset the error and left my car alone for the day.

I haven't seen the error since last weekend, and have driven probably around 250 miles since.

I know this tends to come up as a 'random misfire' but the car sounds normal to me.

I'm just wondering what it could be, tomorrow I'll check the coilpacks with a multimeter.

It shouldn't be the plugs as I did them back in March.

I'll keep searching the forums for any potentials but any thoughts are much appreciated !

Edited by RobPhoboS

Bone dry, and around 6 deg.

But one thing I'm just thinking here... The weekend before last, I changed gearbox\diff\engine oil. I'm just wondering if I needed to pop a bit more oil in the engine.

As I mentioned, I wasn't going fast at all - honestly ! (my first time on track with the Z, and just getting used to it)

I guess I'll know a bit more tomorrow, I've seen what the service manual describes as the potential issues. I just thought it was odd that it happened on track, the car felt and sounded normal to me.

Technically I did (I guess).

I did 2 laps, saw the error, cleared the code, went back out saw the error and checked it this time.

I think I left a little bit more that I usually do in the oil bottle. (was just looking from what others have said)

Cheers, yep I had marked down the service manual suggestions.

This hopefully shows the hiss sound:

I've sprayed carb cleaner around the intake but no fluctuations in idle.

The resistance of the coil packs was pretty much the same for all of them.

I don't have all of my tools here today so what I can check is very limited.

• 2 weeks later...

I nipped up the bolts, I hate doing that as the small torque wrench I have for it doesn't click like normal ones.

I've ordered a new coil pack, just to see if one of them is slightly duff (I'll swap it out on each one to see if it improves).

I thought my idle from post #7 does sound quite similar to this guys one:

Edited by RobPhoboS

These are the Ohm readings I got set to 2k:

Ohm 2k

New coil = 158

Cylinder 5: Rear driver = 147

Cylinder 3: Mid driver = 153

Cylinder 1: Front driver = 164

Cylinder 6: Rear passenger = 164

Cylinder 4: Mid passenger = 153

Cylinder 2: Front passenger = 152

I'm not sure what the numbers really mean but could that be the problem?

Edited by RobPhoboS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Right, time for an update - and flipping heck it's annoying :lol::surrender:

I thought it was worth removing the injectors to give them a clean, this is what came out:

wD4blK1.jpg

R3n6oR4.jpg

At the bottom of the jug after cleaning them...

kUBVJTh.jpg

After putting them back in I was a bit careless (insert tired excuse here), I like a numpty didn't use any oil to lube the o-rings. Around 1 am I decided to head home.

So I fired it up, let it idle for a while and went on my way.

After about 5 mins I got a check engine light on, 2 of the faults were the usual cold weather and idling from the decats (o2 codes), the other was P0139 and I think P0159. I cleared it and drove on (through London, so very slow), after I got back I noticed the exhaust did smell a bit, possibly from running lean?

I thought perhaps I hadn't pushed the injectors back into the block properly.

So today I removed them and saw that yes I had fudged the lower o-rings up.

V6OvrJ2.jpg

I got some replacements that are the same thickness but slightly smaller diameter, it's all I could find on Sunday afternoon. This time I used some new oil on them, took my time and was careful putting them in.

It doesn't feel like I could push them in any further, and with the bolts torqued down they are secure.

I fired it up again and this time got:

P1122

P0123

P0223

:surrender:

So I'll do the TPS reset and try again tomorrow.

I did go for a short drive, initially it seemed normal but then was hesitating and sounding like a flat 4, so I came home straight away.

I'll order the correct size o-rings, I did use the micrometer, they are:

ID = 9mm

C/S = 3mm.

I did the plugs this time last year, I've not pulled them yet but will do this week.

:wacko:

Edited by RobPhoboS

Thanks for the replies guys, it's been a disheartening weekend :lol:

Although I'm getting pretty fast at stripping this stuff down now !

TT350:

Did you pull the plugs or just disconnect the harness ? What was the sign that made you go - ah, found ya !!!

And was it similar symptom whereby you'd get that little pop here and there and can hear it's not quite right ?

My friend with an NSX said he swears its the coil packs when listening to it as had it a couple of times but once had to replace the 'main relay' (whatever that is) which caused similar problems.

Not a bad idea Ekona, since I've probably got to take them out again, and it seems like it's around £75 to do them.

I didn't touch it personally. A few garages with the appropriate gear and diagnostic equipment tested it and passed it.

I had it in at TDI north and they actually physicality inspected them. They found the culprit and showed me. It was about ready to snap and had some milky substance on it.

Right, I just about had time to pull the plugs, thank feck I got new thermals :scare:

I did wipe the oil from the thread on cylinder 4, it was the same as the others.

If anyone can read anything from this that would be hugely helpful but they all look pretty much the same to me.

I put these in exactly 1 year ago.

NEW PHOTOS ADDED

Edited by RobPhoboS