Engine Build for FI

OliverB

Hi,

So, I'm teetering toward an engine rebuild/refurb rather than selling my beloved 350. As I would like to have the option for going S/C down the line, I'm also thinking of some uprated/forged internals to improve reliability.

I'm getting quotes from some of the garages I know and trust, so that's the labour aspect in hand, however it is the parts list that I'm not so confident on. I know rods, springs and pistons are usually included in the uprated side of things, beyond that I hear differing opinions.

Could the good folks of this forum give me some suggestions please? :headhurt:

** Edit, it's an 07 DE Rev-up

Edited by OliverB

Fyi you don't need an engine rebuild before supercharging, ...or turbo charging either for that matter (depending on the BHP of course).

If you did decide though that you wanted a forged engine build followed by supercharging then you're going to be looking at some serious expense. Maybe £15K or even £20K. :scare:

If you want a break down of the prices I paid and the parts I used for my 350Z supercharger build just send me a PM & I'll give you the list. Will give you an idea then of a supercharger build costs at least then. ;)

If you want some costs, info on an engine build then maybe try asking TT350 or zmanalex. :thumbs:

I should have mentioned, I'm looking to do the build for two reasons

1. I've got very low compression (tested Saturday), 142 on the lowest cylinder so far from ideal as a foundation
  2. I'd like to get the most bang for buck (on the fun/safe seasaw) as I can!

I'll drop you a PM, cheers.

If your rebuilding anyway, apart from the extra cost of forged bits, the labour shouldnt be much more, but still not a cheap process and without stating the obvious, can you afford to loose circa £10k plus as you will never see it back when the car is sold.

If youre rebuilding an engine anyway then uprated parts are a no brainer, they are often cheaper than OE as well.

If youre going turbo then IMO its pointless without uprated internals as well, all that time and money to only see 40% of what the turbo could achieve? No thanks.

Agreed! if your rebuilding then uprated is the only way, an although some say your OK on std internals for SC it really depends on just what power your aiming at, and how long you want it to last at that power level, the weak point of the VQ is con rods, so a decent make along with bolts, low compression forged pistons, valve springs etc.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

The tricky part is that I won't be adding the S/C at the same time as the build. My understanding is that with the VQ I should be aiming for a high compression ratio of around 11 - I'm not sure if this will work as a two phase job.

The intended power is not a great deal over 400bhp, maybe 420. As my daily driver I don't really want to get to the stage where the supporting mods list gets massive and significantly more expensive (big brake kits, large oil coolers and so on).

I definitely agree that it would be silly to go for stock internals given my ambitions, it's a case of finding the balance of what I need vs what would be a nice to have.

The intended power is not a great deal over 400bhp, maybe 420. As my daily driver I don't really want to get to the stage where the supporting mods list gets massive and significantly more expensive (big brake kits, large oil coolers and so on).

Not sure if I mentioned it in my PM Oli but my Zed made 436Bhp@fly after haviing the supercharger kit fitted. Give or take 20-30Bhp +/- that is about the norm for the V3 SCi kit so you'll definitely get over 400Bhp with that kit.

Remember as I said that was on stock internals too. ;)

The tricky part is that I won't be adding the S/C at the same time as the build. My understanding is that with the VQ I should be aiming for a high compression ratio of around 11 - I'm not sure if this will work as a two phase job.

I definitely agree that it would be silly to go for stock internals given my ambitions, it's a case of finding the balance of what I need vs what would be a nice to have.

Not quite sure where you get the needing high compression ratio from. normally you would lower this in a ratio with the boost you want to run, as in effect it amounts to the same, did have a table but can't find it right now.

You where not sure if you wanted to run SC or turbo, turbo has a higher stress factor as the boost is not as progressive as SC, and can be a much higher risk of det due to its ability to spike, so uprating the con rods and pistons is a must IMO.

for 430 don't waste your money on forging. especially not on heads, springs are pointless on a rev-up as you can max out the blower rpm with just a smaller pulley or cog setup. If you are opening up the block due to low compression. I would upgrade the rods, replace the worn piston rings and valve stem seals and stick it back together= 430 all day with a bit of added safety.

• Like 1