New gtr

secretstar07979

Stupid money, not worth that by a long shot, so what it has a Nismo list that includes rad cap, oil caps and lug nuts - hardly bank breaking extras. The first 5 things on the list are the only Nismo extras of value the rest is purely guff. Hugely overpriced. Get an R33 400R instead for that money.

Stupid money, not worth that by a long shot, so what it has a Nismo list that includes rad cap, oil caps and lug nuts - hardly bank breaking extras. The first 5 things on the list are the only Nismo extras of value the rest is purely guff. Hugely overpriced. Get an R33 400R instead for that money.

One persons waste of money is another persons dream. It's like posh watches, I don't see the point, others do. Still tells the time at the end of the day.

If you want a realistic answer I'd spend that £80K on paying of a chunk of mortgage but as this is car forum and that's mindbogglingly dull I didn't bother saying it.

But you can buy and build that spec for less than £50k - £35k GTR plus £15k on the modifications and you are there. There is no dream vs waste to be had here? You are paying something like £25k-£30k premium for a limited edition. Its like someone buying a £10k zed, spending £20k on it in mods and selling it for £40k?

But you can buy and build that spec for less than £50k - £35k GTR plus £15k on the modifications and you are there. There is no dream vs waste to be had here? You are paying something like £25k-£30k premium for a limited edition. Its like someone buying a £10k zed, spending £20k on it in mods and selling it for £40k?

Of course there is dream vs waste in this example.

Some people do not have the knowledge, ability, or willingness to modify a base car to an equivalent spec or alternatively they may feel a conversion from base is simply a clone rather than a genuine original. To them that may not be good enough regardless of if anyone else agrees or disagrees. With that said, the only way for them to meet their goal of owning X limited edition car is to pay the going rate.

To you that may be a waste, to someone else, they are fulfilling their dream.

Looking at it slightly differently but making the same point, I could buy a Supra and modify it to out drag a Ferrari but for someone else they might just want a Ferrari because its a Ferrari.

The Supra owner has met their goal and so has the Ferrari owner. Both may think the others goal is a waste of money. Is one right and the other wrong?

No of course not, it's all just personal opinion my friend.

For cry out loud I own a GT4 350Z, why did I pay more money for a GT4 when I could have bought a regular 350 that was just a good? Because its f*cking yellow and I like yellow. :lol:

Edited by longsh07

If you want a realistic answer I'd spend that £80K on paying of a chunk of mortgage

With current interest rates of below 1.5% for many mortgage products a £80k mortgage debt over 25 years only incur interest payments of £15k. Inflation over the same time period will probably mean realistically the value of the debt will be dropping year on year.

Currently I wouldn't bother clearing £80k off the mortgage, if you have to spend it use it to do £80k worth of renovation to the house. Your likely add more value compared to the savings made by not paying interest.

Ofcourse in 12-24months times things could be different, but currently monetary policy is to make us stop saving and spend. With the whole housing market now dependent/use to loe interest rates I cannot see that changing anytime soon.

Edited by gangzoom

If you want a realistic answer I'd spend that £80K on paying of a chunk of mortgage

With current interest rates of below 1.5% for many mortgage products a £80k mortgage debt over 25 years only incur interest payments of £15k. Inflation over the same time period will probably mean realistically the value of the debt will be dropping year on year.

Currently I wouldn't bother clearing £80k off the mortgage, if you have to spend it use it to do £80k worth of renovation to the house. Your likely add more value compared to the savings made by not paying interest.

Ofcourse in 12-24months times things could be different, but currently monetary policy is to make us stop saving and spend. With the whole housing market now dependent/use to loe interest rates I cannot see that changing anytime soon.

That may work for you but my house is a new build that currently isn't even finished yet so renovation is pointless. Plus we owe the government 20% of its value through help to buy. There is no monthly repayment on that so that's the bit I'd pay off.

What on earth happened around here? Seems a lot more serious of late. I didn't expect my throw away comments to be picked appart.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure whoever buys that m spec will be doing no different to you paying 80k off your mortgage, I.e making an investment, it will sit in a private collection and not see a road in anger, pretty sad really :(

Agreed. It is a real shame.

I can see it from both sides though, If you own something like this it's nice to keep it pristine though if it were me I'd want to drive it everywhere to show it off!

To be fair, even std R34 GTR'S are in my mind, silly money.

The whole investment thing has gone mad again, i went to Ferrari Egham with a mate last Friday as he was buying a 458, 2 LaFerrari awaiting collection, one a special, amongst various other exotica and outside a 360 challenge stradale at £249k, a mate sold one of them for circa £80k 5 ish years ago, crazy.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

So, the choice is spend £80K on a GTR and drive and enjoy it, or spend £80K on a GTR and not be able to drive it as it will devalue with every mile. Difficult one. :lol:

The M spec is ridiculous money, there are plenty more cars at £80K that would be a better investment, youd make more money on a V spec costing half as much anyway. Or a Hakosuka. Or a 240Z that cost a quarter of the money.

No reason you couldn't drive and enjoy that R34. The point was the most likely buyer wont.

Regardless if that M Spec is a lot of money, someone will buy it and enjoy it in their own way. To some people its not about how much it costs but the joy of owning it.

No reason you couldn't drive and enjoy that R34. The point was the most likely buyer wont.

Regardless if that M Spec is a lot of money, someone will buy it and enjoy it in their own way. To some people its not about how much it costs but the joy of owning it.

Anyone spending £80K on an R34 is buying it as an appreciating asset. This is up for £80K because it only has 38K miles - if it had 88K it wouldnt be worth as much.

If you buy it and put 20K miles on it you wont realise the same appreciation as if it was still 38K, you might not even get any appreciation as other cars with 40, 50K will be more attractive.

Jesus, just realised its not even a Nur, thats crazy money!

Anyone spending £80K on an R34 is buying it as an appreciating asset. This is up for £80K because it only has 38K miles - if it had 88K it wouldnt be worth as much.

If you buy it and put 20K miles on it you wont realise the same appreciation as if it was still 38K, you might not even get any appreciation as other cars with 40, 50K will be more attractive.

Jesus, just realised its not even a Nur, thats crazy money!

Realistically, yes I agree. People are unlikely to buy it for any other reason than as a collectable or to make money on it. While unlikely it is still possible someone may buy it to use it!

Edit:

Going back to the original point of the thread. I still stand by the fact that I'd rather spend £80k on the R34 i posted than a current gen R35.

That said, there are plenty of other cars I'd buy with that kind of money, like a Caterham 620R.

Edited by longsh07

I guess my point was that the second you pay £80k for this car, you have lost money. I have not seen an R34 limited edition go for £80k yet, £60k at a push, they probably imported that one for £50k 2 years ago. My point was not anything to do with dream cars vs something else, if you paid £80k for this you are being ripped off in my opinion, as mentioned its not even the later better spec'd Nur edition. If some 'dreamer' bought it for £80k and then sold it again in 6 months time they would probably lose a lot of money on it. These are just not valued at £80k at the moment from what I can see, and the ad is trying to blind you with endless Nismo additions when in fact most are low value items with no impact on performance or desireability like rad caps and the like. You can buy a V-spec II or Nur for substantially less and have your dream car still.

I guess my point was that the second you pay £80k for this car, you have lost money. I have not seen an R34 limited edition go for £80k yet, £60k at a push, they probably imported that one for £50k 2 years ago. My point was not anything to do with dream cars vs something else, if you paid £80k for this you are being ripped off in my opinion, as mentioned its not even the later better spec'd Nur edition. If some 'dreamer' bought it for £80k and then sold it again in 6 months time they would probably lose a lot of money on it. These are just not valued at £80k at the moment from what I can see, and the ad is trying to blind you with endless Nismo additions when in fact most are low value items with no impact on performance or desireability like rad caps and the like. You can buy a V-spec II or Nur for substantially less and have your dream car still.

Don't get me wrong I can see where you are coming from but I personally think money is not as important as some people. If someone wants to spend £69K on that R34 with a list of ultimately pointless Nismo bling then good for them. As long as they are happy what does it matter how much they paid or how much it can sell for.

I dont think I've ever bought a car because it will be worth x in x years time. I buy cars I like. Simple as that.

I get that, I guess our points are somewhat exclusive, in that clearly that car is overpriced there is no denying that as the market dictates this if you go and look at (even better) R34s which are cheaper. However as you said, some people have more money than sense and will blindly see Nismo everywhere and throw the cash about.

• Like 2