Screen wash not working

G1en

Recently had bumper off to fit oil cooler kit so had to unclip the headlight washers which resulted in all screen wash being drained.

Fitted bumper back on. Coupled everything up. Filled with fresh screenwash about 6 ltrs and now doesnt work?

There are no leaks, any suggestions?

Sorry mate just tagging along, as mine doesn't work either. I suspect a hose has popped off for me.

Headlight washers work - annoyingly - and so does the rear washer, so must just be a pipe??

Everytime I try and use it, I get a puddle under my passenger side wheel haha been meaning to fix it, but don't really use the car in bad weather anyways.

I have only tried main windscreen washers and cant hear any motor. is it the same pump/motor for rear washer? If so i will try that to eliminate.

Unfortunately the pump connectors are different so you wont be able to connect the rear pump to the front pump wiring but you can swap the hoses over from the front to rear pump. This will mean that to wash the front screen you will now need to actually activate the rear. If that makes sense?

Right. Been into garage. Front screen nothing. Rear washer nothing. Front headlights. Drivers side showers the entire front of the car, passenger side nothing but a pool of screenwash under bumper ie leak.

Not sure entirely what this means. I may have not coupled the washer jets back right or may have pulled the passenger side one back off when installing bumper as i was doing it on my own and it was fidely but would that effect the main washer jets? And why does it only leak when i use the headlight washers?

Right. Been into garage. Front screen nothing. Rear washer nothing. Front headlights. Drivers side showers the entire front of the car, passenger side nothing but a pool of screenwash under bumper ie leak.

Not sure entirely what this means. I may have not coupled the washer jets back right or may have pulled the passenger side one back off when installing bumper as i was doing it on my own and it was fidely but would that effect the main washer jets? And why does it only leak when i use the headlight washers?

Okay firstly headlight washers ~ they have their own pump and reservoir tank which is on the passengers side behind the bumper. If the drivers side works but the passengers side doesn't and you're getting a pool under the bumper then it sounds like a pipe which has not been connected properly or has become disconnected. Bumper off again I'm afraid to fix & trace the problem.

Secondly ~ the front & rear screen wash each have their own individual pumps and they share a reservoir tank which is the one on the drivers side. They also share a fuse. Did you disconnect the pumps when you had the bumper off & have you reconnected them if so? (simplest problems first).

If yes then get someone else to use the front windscreen washers so you can stand near the front drivers side wheel arch & listen to see if you can hear the pump working or not. If you can't hear the pump working for the front windscreen wash but you can hear it working for the rear windscreen wash or vice a versa then the fuse is fine and it's more than likely that the motor has had it in whichever washer pump was silent & will need replacing. It could be coincidence that the other one doesn't work as well and that could be down to a blocked pipe, faulty return valve or pipe off.

If you can hear the pump working for the front washers then the non return valve underneath the front windscreen scuttle may be blocked or have failed (common issue too). Easily replaced but best thing to do is just to remove it completely & replace with a straight through piece of pipe. More info here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/94700-windscreen-washer-not-working/ and here: http://www.350z-uk.c...-washer-tubing/

If you can hear the pump working for the rear washers but nothing is coming out then again as above it could be down to the non return valve or a pipe that's popped off or is blocked. No idea where the non return valve is exactly for the rear screen wash but I've a feeling it's under the headlining.

If both motors are silent then either you're very unlucky and both have gone at the same time (highly unlikely) or it's the fuse. Best thing to do in that scenario would be to check the fuse first before ordering any new pumps. The windscreen washer pump/s fuse is behind the battery in the engine bay under the scuttle panel.

More info here on location: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/71948-where-is-the-washer-jet-fuses/

If you do find it's the motors (one or both) then try Clark Motorsport for the motor/s as they do have both available new. Alternatively BluePrint do cheaper alternatives to the OEM pumps which are available on Amazon, eBay etc.

BluePrint Nissan 350Z rear washer pump motor: Part n# ADN10316

BluePrint Nissan 350Z front washer pump motor: Part n# ADN10315

Hope that helps. :thumbs:

More related threads: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/103676-washers/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/59243-how-to-change-washer-pump-motor/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/106732-rear-washer-not-working/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/67793-windscreen-washer-problem/

• Like 1

Thanks GM. Have a feeling the headlight washer is like you say a loose/uncoupled pipe. I had to pull the tubes out of the way when fitting the oil cooler radiator so may have come disconnected on passenger side without noticing

I am hoping the front & rear screen washes is the fuse. They were both working before and for both motors to go st the same time seems impossible. I couldnt hear any motor noise for either and know what to listen for as have had motors go on previous cars although didnt listen down near front. Got tuesday off work so weather permitting will get it sorted.

My original thought was that by draining the screenwash possibly all the dregs had gone to bottom of reservoir and either formed blockage or knackered pumps but i think that it highly unlikely now. Fingers crossed its just a fuse and reconnect a pipe.

The cars are getting older though so it's feasible that both pump motors could have gone but both at the same time is very unlikely, ...unless they have drawn up some crud from the bottom of the reservoir, become blocked & burnt out the motor as you tried to use them. :shrug:

Hopefully it's just an easy, cheap "ish" fix like the fuse. ;)

I just tried looking on Google but can't get a definitive answer sorry and cannot confirm as I never had to touch it on my own Zed although I know that's where they're located.

Try a PM to zmanalex as he'll know I'm sure or could point you in the right direction of someone else who will know or be able to check. ;)

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/user/9648-zmanalex/

99% sure it is as it said washers or something on cover. Gave up for the day now. Fuse ok. All pipes seem fine. Fluid runs through all joints. No leaks now anywhere but now even the headlight washers dont work. Got neighbour round and he could not hear anything when trying to use washers so can only assume all 3 pumps have packed in in the space of a week. See pic below

Are these the 3 replacement pumps i need?

CA2478ED-CA22-4FC3-9682-27C91B8C2B15_zpswj79njl9.jpg

I can confirm that's definitely the front & rear screen wash pumps. I've not really had a good look at the headlight washer pump though.

If you use the "Blue Print" part numbers I listed above I think the new pumps are around £10/£12 each or something most places. You could try zmanalex for a good used working condition headlight washer pump or Clark Motorsport for new items. ;)

May as well buy new and hope that works. The headlight pump is wierd because the wiring is directly into the pump and not to a connector so not sure how you replace but will see what arrives. If they still dont work. Car is booked in with cougar store next month for mot so will have to get mitz to have a look

It would prob be an mot failure anyway i guess if they dont work

Need to use water next time. I have spent more on screenwash than petrol this last 2 weeks

Just realised that i think the headlight washer only works when lights are on and didnt test it with lights on so that may still work. Will order the 2 smaller ones from amazon £45 for pair and give an update when i fit these hopefully this weekend

Just realised that i think the headlight washer only works when lights are on and didnt test it with lights on so that may still work. Will order the 2 smaller ones from amazon £45 for pair and give an update when i fit these hopefully this weekend

Yep the lights need to be on so I'd bet money that's were you went wrong with that. Hopefully they still work. :teeth:

Did you order the pumps?

Just asking because you can get a new front washer pump from Clark Motorsport for £10 (plus delivery I'd assume): http://www.clarkmotorsport.net/parts/Windscreen-Washer-Pump/488700010

...and the rear washer pump (Blue Print version) from eBay for £24.75 including delivery: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-OE-QUALITY-BLUE-PRINT-REAR-WINDSCREEN-WASHER-PUMP-ADN10316-/351784509816?hash=item51e7fda178:g:~esAAOSwNKRXiTLs

So it could save you a few quid. £45 for the pair delivered though isn't too bad tbh though at all. :thumbs:

Yes. Thanks GM for all the help. Ordered from Amazon as i put above £45 all in so will see what happens when i put those in.

I am praying the headlight pump is still ok as i cant seem to find one anywhere and as i said prev it is wired directly into pump which would make it ackward to change.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to finish this thread. Just got round to fitting the blueprint replacement pumps today. Went to pull car out of garage, hardly anything, the battery was showing 9v. Great

Took it out of car, looks like the original, all in japanese writing so i suppose 8 years aint bad. Shot down to euro car parts for a new bosch S4 and fitted. Started straight away, so got to fitting the pumps and coupling everything back up. All screenwash working again fine

Thanks GM for the advice above and hopefully this thread can help someone else. Still cant believe both pumps went at same time but i suppose for what they cost if you ever need to change one you may as well do both whilst the bumper is off for peace of mind

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Apologies for bringing this thread back up but today i eventually found the reason my passenger headlight washer didnt work and left a pool of screenwash under car.

I was checking car over and thought i would clean and lubricate the jets/covers. Drivers side pulled out fine. No dramas as it works fine. Passenger side shut solid, could not even get my nail under, then it dawned on me, the garage resprayed the bumper to get rid of the usual chips when i bought the car last year, the paint had got in behind the cover and set solid and i mean solid. I have had to go round with a stanley knife to free it but free now it is. Hurray

I can now cover both sides of my bonnet with screenwash at nightime!

• Like 1