Battery cables wrong way round (First Post)

scotzman

Hi all, not long bought a 350z roadster 2005, my partner decided to move her seat without starting the car and battery went dead, put jump leads with on with her help and she connected both terminals + and - on the 350z to the positive and i coudnt understand why the car wouldn jump untill she said there was a little smoke from the battery, immediately stopped trying to start the 350 and there was also smoke from the terminals on my evo, the evo was and is ok but now the 350z wont start or has no power at all to the lights/dash/anything etc (although she said it might be ok as the boot light is on) which wasnt funny somehow.. anyway checked the battery and is 12.94v.. checked the battery fuse block and thats ok.... before i think about melted cables/ecu etc any ideas what i should try next probably fuse wise..

Thanks for any advice

Oh dear.

You will have to work through the 3 fuse box areas.

Start with the main fuse link on the + battery terminal.

Then the one in the car and then the IPDM

Good luck, but I am fearing the worse.

Never trust a woman or a man with jump leads , the buck stops at you.

If you get stuck, just give me a shout as I am just up the road in Perth.

Alex., :)

Good luck

• Like 1

I'd go through and check all the fuses in all 3 fuse boxes to start with.

Edit: beat me to it Alex.

Thanks for the replies, im not stressed about about as it what it is, when you drive an evo also the stress becomes normal untill you dont notice it. Ive checked the fuse block on the battery earlier and nothing blown but as u guys said ill go through all the fuses tomorrow.

The hidden fuse box behind the battery got me once when a fuse blew and it didn't start, can't believe they put so much trim and stuff all over it, such a pain to get to! So apologies if you knew already, but if not pull the scuttle trim off and have a look

The hidden fuse box behind the battery got me once when a fuse blew and it didn't start, can't believe they put so much trim and stuff all over it, such a pain to get to! So apologies if you knew already, but if not pull the scuttle trim off and have a look

There is a fuse link/board directly connected to the battery which is ok, i think you mean the fuse box under the brake fluid cover do you not. Ill check the fuses in that and the fuse box in the drivers footwell today

Edited by scotzman

No,

Stan means the fuse box within the IPDM.

I apologise, ive only just got the 350z so learning where eveything is to try and diagnose the problem, i know there is a fuse board directly fitted to the battery cable, then there is the fuse box under the brake fluid cover then the fuse box at the drivers footwell. is there another fuse box located elsewhere i shoul also check.

Thanks

Yes the third one is behind the battery , under the scuttle panel.

Ah thanks Zeus, the fuse board connected directly to the battery is fine, ill check the one you mentioned then under the brake fluid cover/scuttle and then on to the footwell... thanks for you time.

Ah thanks Zeus, the fuse board connected directly to the battery is fine, ill check the one you mentioned then under the brake fluid cover/scuttle and then on to the footwell... thanks for you time.

Your getting confused. It's not the brake fluid cover side , there is a hidden fuse box on the BATTERY side . Behind it , under the scuttle panel. :thumbs:

Your getting confused. It's not the brake fluid cover side , there is a hidden fuse box on the BATTERY side . Behind it , under the scuttle panel. :thumbs:

This car hasnt even been moved yet from my driveway and have already split the front bumper at the bottom and now she has caused this problem (although i trusted her to connect it :lol: ) is this an omen :)

• Like 1

I would most definitely be replacing both batteries after seeing smoke. Batteries (especially damaged ones) are a serious fire concern.

Best of luck bruv, let's hope you haven't melted any wiring.

Edited by Aashenfox

I would most definitely be replacing both batteries after seeing smoke. Batteries (especially damaged ones) are a serious fire concern.

Best of luck bruv, let's hope you haven't melted any wiring.

Battery on the evo seems fine, been out this morning and its holding volts, but im guessing ur right on the z even though its showing the 12.5v ill still change that, as she said the "boot light works so thats a bonus and must be ok" .. wtf.. shes huffin anyhow and im just putting a 10 foot barrier around the car

Latest update: pulled battery out and checked all fuses and all ok... checked wiring for scorching etc all ok, pulled all relays and visually all looked ok.. next step is to check footwell fuses, had a quick look at the wiring and no scorch/burn issues but rain started so will contine to check fuses in footwell when it stops..

Hi all, checked all fuses in drivers footwell with with a test light and (ignition on at acc) ( no dash lights or anything car like dead)... on testing the fuses in the footwell, bottom row most light up, so checked the top bank/row of fuses (ignition on at acc) and nothing from the top row, any ideas what to check next ?

Thanks

Edited by scotzman

Is the battery still out, have you tested it? Have you checked the fuses under the windscreen scuttle plate?

Hi, Battery is still showing 12v so connected the battery back up then checked fuses under scuttle and all ok, checked fuses in drivers footwell and there is power to the bottom row but nothing to the top row of fuses so def power going down the cable, the fuse block attached to the + terminals are all intact also but car still seems dead no dash lights/headlights etc..

Edited by scotzman